Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #16

I get on my clone and go, I don't check anything anymore. I would never fork out $$ for a Grom.
Protaper se x110 bars/grips
1/4 MotionPro throttle
Kepspeed Braced swingarm
Chimera rear hub assy
Grom Intergrated tail light
Superlite Sprockets 17/32
custom made from Japan
Chimera Swing Arm Bolt
RK MXZ Chain #420
All Balls wheel bearings
Motodynamic fender eliminator
Coremoto ss brake lines
Composimo 2.5 lower link
Grom Calipers-w/ebc pads/rotors
Michelin tire 140&120
13x4/13x7 fatties
Grom forks

Old 11-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #17

If you are mechanically inclined... a Grom/Razkull clone is not terrible.

Here's why...

From the factory, these bikes are very cheap. You can get them delivered to your door for under $1500. Sometimes you can get one delivered to your door for under $1000.

The reason these are cheap is that they use old technology. The clones use a carburetor instead of fuel injection. This means that you have to have the patience to do plug chops to get the jetting right for your bike.

The engine is held in with 2 bolts. These bolts should be replaced with class 10.9 or 12.9. There are people who have sheared the bolts. There are people who have not. It's better just to replace them.

There's no owner's manual/instruction manual. Therefore, you're kind of at the mercy of forums or taking a voltmeter and tracing things out yourself. For instance the "owner's manual" for my Icebear Fuerza was in broken English and the black and white photo of the motorcycle didn't even match. If you get the Boom or the Taotao, I'm not even sure you get an "owner's manual". To figure out wiring and such, it takes patience to sit there with a multimeter and figure out which wire is the ground and so forth.

Dealership locations... if you live by one of the dealerships that sell the clones... you're in luck if anything ever happens and you can't fix something. If you don't... you're pretty much going to have to fix things yourself.

Quality of material... Honda is a big brand. They have very high tolerance standards that factories have to meet. They also have very good QA/QC on incoming raw material. The clones... this is up in the air. While weld quality and such looks good on the surface... I don't know if anyone has had one for 5+ years. Who know what will happen. When I got mine, I took all the plastics off and visually inspected the frame to see/check for any cracked welds that were painted over, any rust spots on the frame from paint being scratched off during transport, etc. This again is a patience thing.

On the good side... if you plan on swapping to the ZS190cc, it is a plug and play for the Grom clones. There's no adapter plates for engine mounting. The clones all use a carburetor already so there's no EFI to carburetor conversion. No speedometer/gauge wiring issues. Etc.

I never had any problems with my Icebear Fuerza. I did end up selling it because the father-in-law was in an accident and the wife was not happy about me having a motorcycle. I have since then picked up a Honda Grom. Reason being... I got a great deal on my Grom new. I never had a chance to build a Grom so I want to do that. The wife wouldn't let me get a 300cc or more to make sure I never ride on the highway. :|

The levers on the Grom definitely feel more solid from the factory than the clone. But... if you plan on going all out and modifying the clone... this point kind of goes away.

So... to make it simple...

If you are mechanically inclined and have the patience and you plan on swapping the engine... get the Grom Clone.

If you're looking to change EVERYTHING out on the bike... consider the clone.

If you just want to putt around town on a small motorcycle... get a Honda Grom.