Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #1

For XF200, XP200, and Konker 200 owners

Looking to see how accuate the speedometers are for you guys. Mine is reading way off. I put a bicycle speedo on my XF200 to get a more accurate reading of speed/distance. I was driving mine up to my Mom's house with my wife behind in our car and she said that I was only going 55 mph....and backing up traffic. I was showing 64 mph on the bicycle speedometer but 70 mph on the Qlink speedo. I can recalibrate the bicycle one but I'm thinking that I got a speedo intended for an XP. Does it stand to reason that a XP speedometer for 21" wheels on a 17" wheeled XF would show a higher mph than what I am truly traveling? Is anybody else having that wide of a margin between indicated and actual speed?

Old 10-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #2

Re: For XF200, XP200, and Konker 200 owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921
Looking to see how accuate the speedometers are for you guys. Mine is reading way off. I put a bicycle speedo on my XF200 to get a more accurate reading of speed/distance. I was driving mine up to my Mom's house with my wife behind in our car and she said that I was only going 55 mph....and backing up traffic. I was showing 64 mph on the bicycle speedometer but 70 mph on the Qlink speedo. I can recalibrate the bicycle one but I'm thinking that I got a speedo intended for an XP. Does it stand to reason that a XP speedometer for 21" wheels on a 17" wheeled XF would show a higher mph than what I am truly traveling? Is anybody else having that wide of a margin between indicated and actual speed?
You don't know if your wife's speedo is accurate either.

Do you have a GPS or a cell phone with GPS?

My Q read a little low, 60 indicated at 55 actual, but with the slightly larger tires (knobbies instaead of the Kenda dualsports) it currently reads right on.

Good question about the XP/XF speedos. I don't know but I have assumed they use differently geared speedo drives. I know the final drive gearing is the same.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #3

My Konker read a little high as well, I think it was about 8 Kmh over. Unfortunately I never got a chance to clock it with my dual sport tires on as I kept the supermoto tires on for the street.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #4

When you switched the tires back and fourth you would have had a difference.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oengus
When you switched the tires back and fourth you would have had a difference.
Yup, just never had a chance to see how much of a difference it actually made. Would have been interesting to compare the two numbers

Old 10-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #6

I don't have the time now, off to church but it would not be hard to calculate based on differences of wheel circumferences.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #7

David,
"Does it stand to reason that a XP speedometer for 21" wheels on a 17" wheeled XF would show a higher mph than what I am truly traveling?"
Yes.
If Qlink didn't change the gear ratio in the speedometer drive for the 17" wheel then the speedometer and odometer readings will be way high as you have noticed. Bummer. I should get my crated 2009 XF200 this week and will report my findings with my GPS in this thread when I get her put together.

My SYM HD200 scooter is 10% high in both speedometer and odometer which makes it easy to correct in my head. I even ordered a new speedometer drive from SYM (bad advice from a dealer online who said it would correct the problem) but no change.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #8

I posted this over at MCM also and got this response from felix;

"Looks like your speedometer is set for a 21" front wheel. Putting a 17" wheel makes it show a faster speed. The math is also consistent with the numbers you gave: 55mph*(21/17) = 68mph"

Makes sense to me as I adjusted the bicycle speedo to get a more accurate reading by putting in a smaller wheel diameter. The stock speedometer was reading almost 70 mph when I was following my wife at 55 mph.

So it looks like I have an XP speedo and/or drive. I looked up the part numbers for both the XF and XP speedometers and speedometer drive gears. The speedometer and wheel gear numbers are the same for both bikes. There are different notes, however, for each gear. The XFs note says F47A-17 and the XPs says F47-17A. Something tells me that there is no difference between the speedometers nor speedometer drive gears for these two bikes. It looks like you guys with the XPs and Konkers with 21" wheels get to see the correct mph.