Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #1

It's always the carb...unless it's something else. XF200

So, my XF200 was running crappy after getting it out of winter storage. Even though I treated the gas and ran it long enough to get it circulated well, I drained it and replaced with new. Ran a little better but wouldn't idle well, surging. I thought that I might have gotten something in the carb so I pulled the jet and made sure it was clear. Looked good. Buttoned everything back up but same problem. So, thinks I, vacuum leak. I had two plugs on the carb from when I removed the air injection stuff so I replaced them.

Nope, still no love.

While the bike was running, I pushed on the plugs to make sure they were seated well. The idle changed when I pushed on the top plug. Mmmm...something is becoming clearer. I could vary the idle moving the carb up and down so I grabbed a can of WD40 (I didn't have a propane cylinder or starter fluid) and sprayed around the intake manifold. Yep, the idle changed.

Eureka! I have a manifold leak!

So, I took the carb and manifold off. Yep, the top of the manifold had a split in it. I didn't get a picture of it so I borrowed a picture from Andrew's jet change post to show the location (I hope you don't mind, Andrew).

I used JB weld to fill it in and clamped it until dry. I will install it tomorrow but am confident that my idle problems will disappear. I have not heard of this happening on Qlink/Qingqi bikes but have read about other makes.

Maybe I was too agressive when I changed the jets and did it then. Or it could be another cost cutting measure we have to deal with. I did notice that the screws holding the manifold on did not have any thread lock on them. They do have lock washers, however. They were not on super tight, either. I am replacing them with bolts, however, so that I can torque them correctly. I also put a thin bead of sealer in the manifold O-ring groove to raise the seat up a bit.

So, I guess that I would recommend that your manifold screws be checked and tighted (along with all the rest) and maybe even replaced with bolts.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #2

Good diagnosis and repair. I never had an issue with the boots, but I never touched the carb on a Q. It is possible the Q boot is not as good as the S boot. I'd be inclined to but an S boot and upgrade. Or at least try to find a DR200SE somewhere and look at the boot and see if it's made of better material.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #3

I can certainly see the benefit to some hex head bolts. You can then snug them up with a box end (likely 8 or 10mm) wrench.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #4

How old is your "q" dave? When you store it is it cold storage? Inside? Just trying to get a feel of your storage enviroment. This is something for all "q" Owners to keep in the back of thier minds. Thanks for sharing.

PS - Glad my Picture came in handy!
2009 Qlink XF200 Supermoto
1982 Honda CM200 Bobber - SOLD
2003 JEEP Liberty SPORT = 3" Lift
2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ - Family Cruiser

Old 04-24-2011, 12:06 AM   #5

Good to know. I have a raised eyebrow to ALL CB rubber..... I'm hoping the Q's are not as dreadful as the Hondanoids I've had or worked on.
My father-in-laws little Hensim 110 quad's rubber boot from the carb to the air cleaner was so hard and dry (3 years old), I could barely saw through it with a hacksaw to remove it! 8O There was NO WAY it would stretch enough to take off without destroying it.
Mr. Uni cured the problem. 8)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #6

Andrew, my bike is an 09.

Here's an update; the JB weld didn't hold. Well, it did long enough for me to get stranded when the bike shut down. I had to call the wife to come and get me with the trailer. I've been searching on line for awhile and I think I found something affordable;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-R...Q5fAccessories

Kind of tired right now so I'll send an email tomorrow and give them the dimensions I need. The DR200 intake won't fit as the carb is larger (31mm) and the GN125 is smaller (26mm). The Kawasaki 125 Eliminator is just right at 28mm but the intake has a fitting that my bike doesn't have. I will post when I find out more.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:17 AM   #7

David,

Q Link has the OEM item on the website right here.

http://store.qlinkmotor.com/products...1704.0.0?pp=8&

Also, don't forget you have a WARANTEE! Call the Q people and have them send you the item!

Old 04-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #8

Thanks Doc. I was going to look there next but forgot. My Warrantee expired in March (Murphy's law) so I can't go that way. My dealer may honor it if I called him but he's 45 miles away. The cost of gas to haul the bike there and back would be more than if I ordered the part and replaced it myself.

The above link to the Ebay site looks more promising then the Qlink part, however. If it pans out, I would be getting a Mikuni part made in Japan. I already know that the part on my bike isn't...

Old 05-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #9

Time for an update. I ended up ordering the intake from Qlink. It ran me about $40 with shipping. I looked and looked and couldn't find one that was a direct bolt on. The 28mm intakes I found had the wrong bolt pattern. I also ordered and received a genuine Mikuni intake from JC Whitney to try if I needed to. The was about half the price. It has a built in O ring while the Qlink one is separate. The bolt pattern is off by 5mm (2.5mm per side) so I feel confidant that I can elongate the holes a bit to get it to fit if needed.