Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #1

Update

Well, the meeting with the Corps of Engineers went along well. I believe they're beginning to open up to the idea of OHV trails. What they discussed last night was how to come up with the funding to fix what needs fixed and tear down whats hazardous to people. First, the gaurd rails along the dam road are getting in a bad way and another, the group picknic shelters are on the verge of collapse. I did smell a little BS in thier speech about how much it's cost the government to maintain whats left. They said they had spent from 50,000.00 to 300,000.00 per year the last handful of years maintaining the damn, buildings and other things. One trip out there and it doesn't take long to see, someone is either lying or lining thier pockets with gov. money. Well, another meeting is scheduled in two weeks to discuss this further. Hopefull, they'll begin to see the light a little clearer. Jim

Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #2

Remember it usually cost 2-3 times as much for the government to do something.

It sounds like you made alittle progress, maybe the next step is coming up with some more cost-sharing ideas. Like in exchange for being able to build atv trails, a group will put up money to help rebuild a picnic shelter/restroom and provide maintenance to keep it up. These are ideas that will move things along. The seed has been planted, now it takes the real work.

Allen

Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #3

good to hear that you've made progress.
where we ride, the rangers get volunteers to help with trail maintenance and camp clean up at least twice a year.
it seems to work real well, and has kept the ohv park fee free

Old 02-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #4

It's a step in the right direction anyway. I've offered to help as well as my family and many others. They just don't seem to be listening. The odd thing is, I grew up on this farm and have raised all my kids here as well. The people in the small town close to the project have always been a bit clanish as well as selfish and unless each individual can see dollars in his or her pocket, it's nearly impossible to get them to work together because they're afraid the guy next to them will make an extra buck or two, even if they themselves make five. We live 12mi from the town and I as well as my kids all went to school and graduated there, and they still have a tendency to make anyone living outside of town feel like ya don't belong there. My wife is going to set up a meeting with the mayor, so we'll see how much they want the extra revenue. The town has a population of 250 people but I'm sure they include, cats, dogs, and wildlife to come up with that many. I guess, I shouldn't talk about them like that but for the most part it's true, and I'm sure a good number of small towns are similar.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #5

Besides the mayor, you need to talk to the local gas station owner, restaurant owner etc about possible revenue increases from the likely 100s of OHV owners coming that will be needing supplies. Also it may be an oppurtunity for a new powersports business. At least for parts.

Have you thought about a website for supporters to go too? Someplace to combine resources. Also have you contacted any local riding groups? Sometimes they have people who are gifted in this area that know how to make a proposal.

Allen

Old 02-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #6

Yes, we have talked to the local quick stop employees but it's hard to catch the owner there since he lives out of the area. Haven't had a chance just yet to talk to the cafe owners but will by weeks end. They also run the small motel in town so they should be all for it. They are the only businesses left in town. Everyone else has either left or closed thier doors. There's one empty shop building that would make a good place to have an atv, dirt bike, repair, rental or sales if all worked out right. I've been thinking about it since the back part of the building is plenty big enough to move my welding shop into and leave plenty of room to service ohvs. I guess time will tell.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #7

forgot to add, no I haven't really thought about a website yet but I got a guys name who is a big supporter. I'll talk to him and see if he has or wants to put one up

Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #8

Some great ideas here. I live on the other side of the state but I'm really excited for you. Sounds like a good start. If I owned a mini mart/gas station on the way there I'd be very active in helping get OHV's in the area. Then I'd make sure my shelves were stocked with oil, gas cans, and basic repair goods and put up a sign that OHV'ers were welcome and start raking it in!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #9

Maybe you will have the business venture possibility. It would encourage others to improve or open new businesses in the area. Bring in a few jobs possibly. Look what could happen to the local economy. You need to push it as a jobs created idea. 8O I would think it would open at least a dozen new jobs in it first year. Someone has to clean the toilets.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #10

This may be a big help.
http://www.americantrails.org/resour...ieldMcCoy.html

The hatfield mccoy system is a big deal. Alot of the old mining towns that lost most of their jobs have really benefitted from ATV ridings coming to them.

I am sure that calling/emailing some of those people will help you.

Also have you contacted your state representatives and you members of congress?

Allen

Old 02-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #11

Good points, Allen and Doc. I read somewhere there is funding for projects like this in the state. I'll have to see if I can find it again since I was looking before all this came about. I'll print off all these websites you guys have posted and hand them off to the business owners. Maybe it'll open some eyes.

I'm getting pretty excited too, doc. I think it would be a great thing for the community and the area as a whole. When they first started on the dam they were pretty excited really. People started building boat storage and other outdoor activity types of things, and of course when it all flopped and so many years went by they, I think they all just gave up on it. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to get them back in the spirit until it can be proven to them there's still hope. Then again who knows? I was always taught not to give up untill all possibilties were exhausted, and then try it again to make sure.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #12

You may want to contact businesses in other nearby towns too. Espicially ones leading from major highways.

Allen

Old 02-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #13

I'm dealing with a similar problem in reverse. Some developers/mall-mongers want to close my little airport and put in strip malls. We are fighting it.

We have about 20 strip malls per capita here, and one local airport in town. I'm adding this to the list of things that piss me off lately.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #14

Working on that to, Allen. Get enough business owners to stand up, the Corps will have to listen.

Doc, I ended up using my pissed off list as toilet paper. Found that a little ruff on the ole behind so now days I just scribble it on the roll and use it. Its cheaper and get as much satisfaction. In all reality tho it's past time for people to stand up speak out about whats wrong whether it be government or something else. Wish you luck on that.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
Working on that to, Allen. Get enough business owners to stand up, the Corps will have to listen.

Doc, I ended up using my pissed off list as toilet paper. Found that a little ruff on the ole behind so now days I just scribble it on the roll and use it. Its cheaper and get as much satisfaction. In all reality tho it's past time for people to stand up speak out about whats wrong whether it be government or something else. Wish you luck on that.
Blasting inantimate objects with high powered assault rifles at the range helps too.

So does riding, and hanging out with you guys.