Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #1

Digital cluster install on a Bashan Storm 250.

Finally got this wrapped up last weekend, including getting the speed calibrated pretty well. Minus wiring, this took zero fabricating, so it's good for people who do not have to tool or skills to make a mount for the cluster or wheel speed sensor. I have both but i am missing the last magic ingredient, time lol. Yes its not centered, it doesn't bother me. It gives me a spot to add stuff or move my hour meter. I may still fab up a mount this fall when i have time and finally remember to get my argon tanks filled.

things that work:
speed
odometer
trip
tach
all indicators.

things that don't work as is.

fuel gages, no sender on the bike stock so no signal.

Gear indicator, these bikes only have a neutral switch on them, i bought one off of CSC and will put it on later and report how it works.

Wheel speed sensor- The new CSC TT250 with the digital dash has what looks like the same from wheel hub, so i ordered one to see. Its an exact fit for the storm. I got it for $15 as it was on sale at the time so just keep your eye on it. The wiring was a bit odd on it and could vary on the cluster you get but i included a picture of what worked for me. Also the Rotor has two magnets if you need to know for programing, you can check with a screwdriver.
https://store.cscmotorcycles.com/TT2.../zt25-111a.htm

The cluster itself i got off ebay. There are a ton of that style on amazon, ebay or aliexpress. The look the same but the wiring diagram and programing are different. Don't be surprised if the instructions included with yours are wrong, mine were.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Digital...72.m2749.l2649

Cluster mount. I didn't have time to dink with making one so i just grabbed this. Its made for that cluster so the holes fit the rubber isolator and wire cut out fit perfect. I bolted it to the right ride bolt where the original mounting plate bolted to the tree. I bent it up a few degrees to making the viewing angle better and i was done. Well worth the $8-9.
https://www.amazon.com/Samdo-Speedom...gateway&sr=8-3

Wiring

For the most part the wire colors jived with the bike, test to confirm and map the pin out on paper so it makes sense. The connector on the cluster was the wrong sex so i cut the pig tail off the stock harness and soldered it together. You could just unpin the block and repin it to the new cluster if you want too. The one oddball wire not in the block was the brown headlight indicator, it was just a lone wire with butt connectors. The tach wire is the blue and white on at the stator harness by the battery. You could also tie in at the coil, whichever you prefer.

Fuel sender wires

I just cut and wrapped the fuel gage harness, it does blink but it doesn't bother me. I would not directly ground out the signal pin, it has caused issues on other clusters so i would try a few different value resistors to find one that gives it a static reading and stops the blinking if its an issue. You could make it work, but it would be require cutting the gas tank and placing a sender, or using the tank off another bike which would likely be $150+.

Gear indicator.

I bought one from CSC when i got the wheel speed sensor. No clue if it will fit yet, but i intend to deal with that in the fall. There is not a harness in place stock, the neutral indicator is the random green/red wire.

Programming

This was fun... the instruction that came with where no where close to the programming on the cluster lol. Only thing that matched was to hold the button on the back and turn the key on to enter. I fumbled around and got a value that so far, up to 35mph is within 1-2mph. I'm going to work on getting that more accurate and making sure its still reading right at higher speeds shortly. I'll post whatever my final value is, still have no idea what it represents but it works. ASSuming that its a value in MM for the circumference of the tire... maybe.

The wheel speed sensor will work for most any digital cluster and the wiring should be fairly close give or take a few odd wires. Best thing you can do is use a jumper wire and test what the manufacturer tell you to make sure its right, then match it to the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b3.jpg (96.0 KB, 2033 views)
File Type: jpg b1.jpg (63.8 KB, 1572 views)
File Type: jpg b5.jpg (89.3 KB, 1615 views)
File Type: jpg b4.jpg (88.1 KB, 1787 views)
File Type: jpg 20190704_112015.jpg (78.5 KB, 1557 views)
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:20 PM   #2

I should have an easier option soon, with better display options as fuel gauge will show as a volt gauge etc.

Most of these cheaper sets are just missing so much detail n stuff that it takes hours to make it all work and many or some just don't etc.

Gear ind wire sub loom would help as well as the loom being plug n play etc.
Did the CSC wheel sensor work? fit? etc

Old 07-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #3

Yep, everything fit. Pretty sure the storm and tt have the same wheel hub. Tab lines up too. It is all plastic but I don't think it will be an issue.

I bought the cheapest one I could find, because I'm cheap. I didn't mind doing the wiring, it's fun. Would have went much faster if I wasn't sick at the time. Damn cold medicine messes with your concentration lol.

Yeah the gear indicator loom would make it easier for a lot of people. If you get another week of rain I might break down and install the gear switch now for something to do.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck9191 View Post
Yep, everything fit. Pretty sure the storm and tt have the same wheel hub. Tab lines up too. It is all plastic but I don't think it will be an issue.

I bought the cheapest one I could find, because I'm cheap. I didn't mind doing the wiring, it's fun. Would have went much faster if I wasn't sick at the time. Damn cold medicine messes with your concentration lol.

Yeah the gear indicator loom would make it easier for a lot of people. If you get another week of rain I might break down and install the gear switch now for something to do.
CSC TT250 or Hawk etc with USD forks, Zong Sierra 200 and others seem to run the same hub.
I would like to send you a sensor to compare if that is OK as it would be good for me to know

Old 07-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
CSC TT250 or Hawk etc with USD forks, Zong Sierra 200 and others seem to run the same hub.
I would like to send you a sensor to compare if that is OK as it would be good for me to know
sure if you want. I can test the shift indicator harness too if you want.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #6

Looks like you had an easier time of it than us Sambo owners. Nice install!
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 07-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #7

Working good so far. I have a Sligh hunch the trip and odometer may still be in km, or maybe I rode a bit longer then I thought. I'm going to run my phone the whole time next time to see. Speedo is within a mph or two up to 60 so that's good.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #8

Does this instrument cluster draw down the battery when your motorcycle is powered off? Thanks.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #9

I would say no move then the silly alarm/remote start system. I keep it on a battery tender though.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Does this instrument cluster draw down the battery when your motorcycle is powered off? Thanks.
If power wire installed there must be something.
I have ordered 100 sets of digital cluster n be ready soon I hope.
2 versions: TT250 style or Bross style both VERY universal programming and loom made to VERY easily plug n play for NEAR any bike

Old 07-19-2019, 04:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
If power wire installed there must be something.
I have ordered 100 sets of digital cluster n be ready soon I hope.
2 versions: TT250 style or Bross style both VERY universal programming and loom made to VERY easily plug n play for NEAR any bike

Cool you got pics of each? mainly brozz one for me though.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjmt View Post
Cool you got pics of each? mainly brozz one for me though.
Check back in my threads or posts - I posted pics before
At a general glance they just “look” the same etc
It’s the few extra functions inside that adds some extra magic etc
I’ve got Instagram n post vids n bits etc there too - same username as here

Tags
bashan, digital cluster, storm, wheel speed sensor