Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #1

starting issue

I have a 2017 RX3 that, when new, would fire on the second or third revolution but now can take up to 6 revolutions before firing. Has anyone else had this issue? It's got 1000 miles and the valves were adjusted at 500 miles but the start issue was happening before that. I've checked and adjusted the spark plug gap which the factory set too wide. I haven't cleaned the air filter yet but with only 1000 miles it shouldn't need servicing. Any suggestions?

Last edited by rd1959; 09-02-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #2

I would start with the free and easy stuff... clean all wires and ground points with Electrical Contact Cleaner and seal with Silicone Dielectric Grease, test for any air leaks around the intake/throttle body and exhaust (O2 sensor too), then move on to other things that might cost a little $$ to clean up

Maybe clean the throttle body with an Air Intake System Cleaner (do not use basic carburetor cleaner on a Throttle Body) if it fails the "Military White Glove Test",

and use a good PEA based fuel injector cleaner (Techron, Regane, Royal Purple, CRC, etc.) to get proper injector flow back... leave the SeaFoam and Lucas on the shelf, you can find less expensive and more effective products right next to them anyways

Another thought, upgrade to an Denso or NGK brand Iridium spark plug (if you haven't already)

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #3

They are a bit lazy to start as the 250 form - common.
With the big bore kit they all start a bit better as well as better torque etc etc

Old 09-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #4

Charge the battery and see if it's help

Old 09-03-2018, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
They are a bit lazy to start as the 250 form - common.
With the big bore kit they all start a bit better as well as better torque etc etc
4th turn hot or cold, with the 300 kit. Might do better with a new spark plug considering Roxy's plug has never been out of the head and she has 11000+ miles.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
4th turn hot or cold, with the 300 kit. Might do better with a new spark plug considering Roxy's plug has never been out of the head and she has 11000+ miles.
I don't know if it will have an effect but I'm considering using a hotter plug. When I inspected the original plug the color was darker than ideal. I use the bike almost exclusively for commuting (8 miles one way) with a few around town jaunts so the engine never sees anything above 60 mph. If I give it a little throttle when starting it will fire within a couple revolutions.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur94 View Post
Charge the battery and see if it's help
The battery is charged. I adjusted the chain this weekend and also hooked up the battery tender and it ran for only 30 minutes so the battery is fully charged. It acts like not enough fuel is being delivered because it will fire within a couple revolutions if I crack the throttle a little while starting

Old 09-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #8

No second chances

90% of the time my bike fires and runs great after only one or two rotations, however, if the motor dies before its warm you're in for major cranking, starting with a misfire and generally running rough for a few seconds. It also will not start if it is in gear, non negotiable, just won't!

I've tried to see a pattern but the weird 2nd attempt start up seems quite random. Once the bike does start and the misfire clears we're back to perfect running again?

Another strange development is that when the bike has stood in the rain all day the ignition switch needs a bit of a wriggle to switch on. Sort of a tiny bit left then right again and we're away. I'm guessing a bit of water is creeping into the switch.

BTW my bike is a 2015 which was imported direct from the factory to New Zealand. It has done about 11 000 km and other than changing the oil and unjamming the brake pedal (smalls stone in the linkage) replacing the battery and the needle roller bearings in the rear suspension has been trouble free.

Oh yes.... I've never adjusted the valves

Old 09-03-2018, 10:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd1959 View Post
I don't know if it will have an effect but I'm considering using a hotter plug. When I inspected the original plug the color was darker than ideal. I use the bike almost exclusively for commuting (8 miles one way) with a few around town jaunts so the engine never sees anything above 60 mph. If I give it a little throttle when starting it will fire within a couple revolutions.
1 range hotter might help, but don't let the bike run long or you'll likely hole a piston.
Generally, a little throttle adds air and would indicate too much fuel at start, which may be darkening your plug. Hmmmmm?

Old 09-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd1959 View Post
I have a 2017 RX3 that, when new, would fire on the second or third revolution but now can take up to 6 revolutions before firing. Has anyone else had this issue? It's got 1000 miles and the valves were adjusted at 500 miles but the start issue was happening before that. I've checked and adjusted the spark plug gap which the factory set too wide. I haven't cleaned the air filter yet but with only 1000 miles it shouldn't need servicing. Any suggestions?
Do you turn the key on and let the computer do it's song and dance routine before hitting the start button? My 2015 seems like it takes a while for the fuel pump to pump up to pressure when I first turn on the key , but always starts relatively easy. So I always wait till the tachometer settles back down and fuel pump is not making any noise before hitting the starter button, rj

Old 09-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Do you turn the key on and let the computer do it's song and dance routine before hitting the start button? My 2015 seems like it takes a while for the fuel pump to pump up to pressure when I first turn on the key , but always starts relatively easy. So I always wait till the tachometer settles back down and fuel pump is not making any noise before hitting the starter button, rj
Yea, I wait until it's done it's thing before hitting the starter button. I even give the clutch lever a few squeezes to loosen the plates before starting.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #12

I had the similar problem in past:
- jump start with other battery (car)
- check the O2 sensor (lambda sensor) in exhaust pipe
- check for fuel licks in fuel line and around fuel filter ( look when turning the fuel pomp on, air in fuel lines)
- remove the fuel injector place on white card and see if fuel is spraying from time when starter button press
- clean faults in ECU ( by turning 5 times ignition key on and off )
- after cleaning foults start the bike and let it idling till cooling fans go on
- check the spark plug coil conector plug

Old 09-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur94 View Post
I had the similar problem in past:
- jump start with other battery (car)
- check the O2 sensor (lambda sensor) in exhaust pipe
- check for fuel licks in fuel line and around fuel filter ( look when turning the fuel pomp on, air in fuel lines)
- remove the fuel injector place on white card and see if fuel is spraying from time when starter button press
- clean faults in ECU ( by turning 5 times ignition key on and off )
- after cleaning foults start the bike and let it idling till cooling fans go on
- check the spark plug coil conector plug
I just tried clearing the ECU and that made a difference. Now it fires at 3 1/2 revolutions . Thanks.