Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #16

I did indeed get the exhaust, and it's not in terrible condition. The front pipes and headers are in great shape, but there's a pretty good bash in on the top muffler and heat shield. The heat shield will be pretty easy to hammer back into shape, but I think the muffler may be a bit too far gone. I know that there are some mufflers out there to be had, and they're not even too expensive. First things first, though, I have to get the front tire and lower fork tubes broken down, cleaned up, and reassembled. I really need to figure out what to do with the fork rods. I think I may need to fab up a new set.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #17

I had a little bit of time over the weekend to get the front forks and the wrecked fork rods taken apart. The damper rods will need to be replaced. There's no hope for them. I'm really struggling to find just that part, and I honestly think I'm going to have to get a whole new set of forks from e-bay. The front wheel bearings are also crunchy, but that's more of a maintenance item than anything. I haven't dug into the front brake drum yet, that's probably going to be the next adventure. So far I've been able to get both engines turning over, and they aren't making expensive sounding noises (yet). I'm really not sure if I should go ahead and tear down the more complete engine to the component level and do a complete overhaul, or if I should just stuff it in the bike and see how it runs. I'm trying to get the chassis put back together to at least be a roller. That would make life much easier in the garage. I'll keep you guys in the loop as to how this saga continues.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-15-2018, 01:12 AM   #18

Good stuff. Like you say, make it a roller then work out sections from there without spend8ng too much on cosmetics . Then by the time little bud is 15 you should be fully restored
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 10-15-2018, 07:07 AM   #19

BlackBike, I hope to have this thing on the road and riding in 15 MONTHS, not by the time the Bambino is 15 YEARS! Those fork damper rods are really throwing me for a loop, though. On top of that, the guy who took the bike apart just tossed all the nuts and bolts that were taken off the bike into a box without any markings or organization. It looks like that box was also kicked over a few times over the years, because the more I dig into this thing, the more I fin is missing. The little bracket for the key switch? Gone. Finger release for the seat? MIA. Sprocket retainer and bolts for the front sprocket? You guessed it... I have a hard copy of the factory service manual, and that's been a big help getting organized. I'm just going to have to sit down with a box of ziplock bags and do my best to put things into at least larger subgroups, then go from there.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-15-2018, 11:37 PM   #20

I managed to get the front rim all broken down today. Extra emphasis on the 'broken'. I managed to break off both of the casting lugs where the brake cable locks into place. The wheel bearings are all sorts of crunchy, and the axle doesn't look like it's seen grease since dinosaurs roamed the earth. The steering head bearings are also very bad, but I think they just need to be taken apart and cleaned. Once I got the brake hub out of the rim, it just kept getting worse and worse. The brake shoe friction material was completely separated from the backings and the springs were pretty badly rusted. The hub was full of corrosion and white aluminum rust, and the pivots for the brakes were frozen solid. I hosed everything down with penetrating lube, hopefully I can bring the pivots back. I already have to buy new front forks since the old damper rods are doing their best imitation of day old spaghetti. Not sure what I'm going to do about the brake cable castings. I may try to have them welded back on and machine them out, or if I can't get the brake pivots unstuck and usable, I may need to find a new front brake hub.
http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1539660777
http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1539660777
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9007.jpg (56.8 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9008.jpg (46.8 KB, 204 views)

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-16-2018, 06:15 AM   #21

Wow.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #22

WOW! Did the guy mention he fished this out of the lake?
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #23

Not sure why I'm a sucker for punishment, but I love resurrecting stuff like this.
Emerikol, did you sign the divorce papers over this bike?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #24

"Glutton for punishment" comes to mind

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:27 PM   #25

Almost wonder if there wouldnt be a set of forks from a newer bike that could be adapted to this. Not only for easier to service parts but to gain a disk brake.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 10-16-2018, 10:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Not sure why I'm a sucker for punishment, but I love resurrecting stuff like this.
Emerikol, did you sign the divorce papers over this bike?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Almost wonder if there wouldnt be a set of forks from a newer bike that could be adapted to this. Not only for easier to service parts but to gain a disk brake.
Weld, no divorce papers will be forthcoming. You see, the Missus and I have a really nice setup. We each have high yield savings accounts (Synchrony is the best in the business right now, with 1.85% APY, in case anyone cares), and each week we automatically have money transferred from our bank to the savings accounts. What we do with that money is completely up to us, and the other spouse can't say anything about it. This bike was purchased for a whopping $100 out of my account. Anything I need to purchase for it will also have to come out of my account, but when it finally hits the road, the insurance and registration will just be a household expense because it's a usable vehicle. Let me tell you guys what a brilliant idea having an account like that is. It allows us to do things we want without having to worry about arguments starting. The only thing the Missus has said about this new bike (and in her defense, it's perfectly fair) is that it's taking up space in our already very cramped garage. That's going to be fixed soon too, though. We are working with a builder and we're about to start building our new house out here in Arizona.

DarkRider, I am going to try to keep everything as original as I can. For the type of riding I'll be doing, and with modern drum brake friction material, I'm fully confident that the drums will be just fine. The biggest obstacle is going to be breaking everything down into it's component form, and then cleaning inventorying, and reassembling everything. There's already a whole bunch of things that will need attention, mostly revolving around the engine internals.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
BlackBike, I hope to have this thing on the road and riding in 15 MONTHS, not by the time the Bambino is 15 YEARS! Those fork damper rods are really throwing me for a loop, though. On top of that, the guy who took the bike apart just tossed all the nuts and bolts that were taken off the bike into a box without any markings or organization. It looks like that box was also kicked over a few times over the years, because the more I dig into this thing, the more I fin is missing. The little bracket for the key switch? Gone. Finger release for the seat? MIA. Sprocket retainer and bolts for the front sprocket? You guessed it... I have a hard copy of the factory service manual, and that's been a big help getting organized. I'm just going to have to sit down with a box of ziplock bags and do my best to put things into at least larger subgroups, then go from there.
One of those famous "it's all there" comments .

Got tetanus booster? You can use that penetrating spray and rust converter spray to tackle that rust. I wonder if this was stored somewhere else beside the desert over the years?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Last edited by BlackBike; 10-17-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:47 AM   #28

Here's the latest -
I managed to get the front brake hub assembly separated out and one of the brake shoes off the rotating assembly. The rotating actuators are still frozen solid, but I think that if I keep heating and beating, I can get them to free up. From there, it's just a little quick work with some steel wool and penetrating spray to clean up the rust and neglect. As I was breaking everything on the front end down, I discovered that BOTH of the upper pinch collars for the triple tree were cracked right the way through. That's coming off next, and I'll carry that down to a local welding shop and get them to buzz it back together. A little time with a file and a dremel tool should see that right. I have a reproduction wiring harness on the way, and hopefully I'll be picking up a new set of front forks, as well. I'm going to fabricate out a new front brake cable boss to repair the broken lugs that were a result of trying to get the front brake hub assembly out of the front wheel. I'll drill and tap some holes into the hub and mill down the remains of the bosses, and that should solve the problem of hooking the new brake cable up. I'm going to get some new taper bearings for the steering head to replace the loose balls running around there now. My plan for the time being (and almost certainly subject to change) is to get the chassis broken down, cleaned, painted as required, and put back together. I think the last thing I'm going to tackle is the engine. I'm really undecided on how to run that part of the build down. On the one hand, one of the engines I have is nearly 100% complete. It just needs to have the cam chain run back through it and the head put back on. The catch is that the rings and pistons were frozen in the bores when I got the engine. I've been able to get the pistons free, but I don't think the rings are un-stuck from the side of the pistons. I hooked up power to the starter and turned the engine over at high speed to help polish the cylinder walls from the rust. It worked out pretty well, but still not as good as it should be. I ran it through the gears while turning it over with the starter and everything seemed to work the way it should. Neutral was a little hard to find, but that's not a big issue as far as I'm concerned right now. Finally, the headlight bucket is going to have to be replaced. In what is undoubtedly a sign of things to come, the whole back of the bucket was cut out with what I'm guessing was a cut-off disc. I'm thinking the last person that was in there doing electrical work decided that there wasn't enough slack in the wiring harness and gave the headlight bucket a full on lobotomy. Given how many wires are cut and jerked loose, I'm really glad I have a good wiring diagram and a new harness coming. That's all for now.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #29

Are new rings for that engine made of unobtanium?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #30

Weld, it's not so much that new rings are made of unobtanium, they're actually pretty easy-to-obtainium. I would rather just get the bike all back together and ride it for a few months, that's all. I'm approaching the Resurrection of this bike with my eyes wide open, that is, knowing I'm going to eventually have to touch every single part of the bike. If I can do some actual riding of the bike, that's the goal. I would like to ride it for a bit, keep dumping oil in it because the engine burns more oil than gas, then know I'm going to spend the winter overhauling the engine. Just what I'm planning for now. Obviously with a project like this, plans are absolutely subject to change.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up