Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #1

In case anyone was wondering about durability of these things...

Went camping in a pretty remote campground, about 15-20 minutes of rough dirt road to the campground, then running several trails about as wide as a four wheeler with lots of rocks, roots, dips, steps, and the like. I've done the initial tightening of the screws and bolts and replaced the engine mount bolts with slightly longer ones (and of better quality, tbh) and...well...the bike is great! Exhaust bolts haven't been replaced, and I was fully anticipating for them to break, but they're still good to go.

I'd recommend knobby tires offroad, though (obvious, since the tires on these bikes are typically pretty smooth street tires). Definitely some slipping on some of the hills. Surprisingly enough, though, there wasn't anything I wasn't able to overcome pretty easy.

Did break off one of the front blinkers, though. Taped it back on with electrical tape since that's all I had at the time. I'll probably see if I can't order a new piece in the next day or so.

All in all, I'm impressed. A good chain cleaning and re-grease, plus an oil change (I was pushing my mileage on the current one anyway, I was about 800 miles on the oil), and the bike is good to go on the streets again. I'll probably go find a path on the nearby mountain and do some more now that I've tested what the capabilities of the Hellcat are. I anticipate that the Little Monster/Razkull will probably be the same result, though the seat is further back so the balance may be slightly different.

Just over 2800 miles on this one, still a great bike!

Picture posted below!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (98.5 KB, 571 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0007.jpg (98.2 KB, 616 views)

Old 08-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #2

That's good stuff! Thanks for sharing!!

Old 08-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #3

Go ahead and buy a set of the cheap EBay flush mount front blinkers is my suggestion, or it won't be the last ones you break lol. I'd send you one free ( stock blinker) but tbh i havent got them switched yet, i did the rear ones but still need to do the front. 2800 miles is a lot of ridin' on one of these bikes, glad to hear it has held up !
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 08-29-2018, 09:01 PM   #4

Glad to hear your Hellcat is doing so well! The pictures are a plus! Keep us posted on your adventures with your Hellcat!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 08-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #5

Just like you did,in a couple of weeks I'll be taking my Hellcat on a camping trip and exploring the back roads to get to some really awesome places. One of my biggest concerns about buying a Chinese made bike was "will I be able to trust this thing while taking it off the beaten path"? With your post and the experience I've had with mine so far my concerns have eased. I dont have near the miles on mine that you have.

Your bike looks pretty much stock. Have you done any other upgrades besides the engine bolts? Are you running the original carb?

Thanks for the encouraging post and pics!

Old 08-29-2018, 10:48 PM   #6

I wish that one of the Grom-Like-Vehicle (GLV) makers would make one with knobbies and a slightly raised suspension. I guess the new 125cc Honda Monkey or one of the clones (based on the old 60s/70s 50cc) would do the trick, but I bet there would be some interest in a slightly off-road version of a GLV since the Monkey clones and DAX clones have all but left the market.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-30-2018, 10:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrfxr67 View Post
That's good stuff! Thanks for sharing!!
2x

I will be doing an overnight (hotel camping) adventure ride from bandera Texas to Lampasas Texas and back at September's end. It will be 30 degrees before you know it, get out there NOW and do it.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-31-2018, 04:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkitty View Post
Just like you did,in a couple of weeks I'll be taking my Hellcat on a camping trip and exploring the back roads to get to some really awesome places. One of my biggest concerns about buying a Chinese made bike was "will I be able to trust this thing while taking it off the beaten path"? With your post and the experience I've had with mine so far my concerns have eased. I dont have near the miles on mine that you have.

Your bike looks pretty much stock. Have you done any other upgrades besides the engine bolts? Are you running the original carb?

Thanks for the encouraging post and pics!
Sorry, I've been out and about.

I haven't done as much as I would like, but there are a couple things done:

- 17T front sprocket
- VM22 Carb (got really dusty, I'm wondering if the stock box would have been a lot better for the health of the bike...still runs tho)
- New Chain
- 95 main jet
- Replaced the rear axle bolt with one from a grom, though I don't think this was necessary. Ended up being an entirely different reason on the rear of the bike that the dealer replaced, and had nothing to do with the axle.

Honestly, I think that having the smaller front sprocket would have been better for offroad use. I originally did the 17T for speed on paved roads, but the extra torque would have been nice on trails.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I wish that one of the Grom-Like-Vehicle (GLV) makers would make one with knobbies and a slightly raised suspension. I guess the new 125cc Honda Monkey or one of the clones (based on the old 60s/70s 50cc) would do the trick, but I bet there would be some interest in a slightly off-road version of a GLV since the Monkey clones and DAX clones have all but left the market.
I believe the Razkull comes with a knobby tire variant. I think the IceBear has a variant too.

But at 40-50 bucks a tire (and rims aren't too bad either), it's worth ordering the knobbies afterwards and having both anyway. It's super easy to swap wheels on these things, maybe a 30 minute job at max.

A couple links of the tires similar to what I've ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WESFARE...d_i=B00WESFARE

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SGSNRD...v_ov_lig_dp_it

The actual tire I ordered:

https://www.chapmoto.com/maxxis-m602...SABEgKer_D_BwE

BangBang Scooter Gang used the ones from Amazon, and they said they liked them quite a bit when I asked them about it.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I wish one of the makers of GLV's would make a copy of the Honda Ape. Lifan did a few years ago with their Pony but pulled it off the US market after a short time. I think there would be a pretty good market for a bike like this, I know I'd like to have one. I'd like to see a 150cc verticle engine instead of just 100cc's though. It's a really simple bike and the makers of GLV's could probably use a lot of the same parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pony.jpg (20.8 KB, 498 views)

Old 09-01-2018, 03:14 AM   #11

The first one is only a 10in, won't fit.

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by siikmonkee View Post
I believe the Razkull comes with a knobby tire variant. I think the IceBear has a variant too.

But at 40-50 bucks a tire (and rims aren't too bad either), it's worth ordering the knobbies afterwards and having both anyway. It's super easy to swap wheels on these things, maybe a 30 minute job at max.

A couple links of the tires similar to what I've ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WESFARE...d_i=B00WESFARE

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SGSNRD...v_ov_lig_dp_it

The actual tire I ordered:

https://www.chapmoto.com/maxxis-m602...SABEgKer_D_BwE

BangBang Scooter Gang used the ones from Amazon, and they said they liked them quite a bit when I asked them about it.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:15 AM   #12

ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkitty View Post
I wish one of the makers of GLV's would make a copy of the Honda Ape. Lifan did a few years ago with their Pony but pulled it off the US market after a short time. I think there would be a pretty good market for a bike like this, I know I'd like to have one. I'd like to see a 150cc verticle engine instead of just 100cc's though. It's a really simple bike and the makers of GLV's could probably use a lot of the same parts.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinabike View Post
The first one is only a 10in, won't fit.

\
Hm. Must have saved the wrong set in my list. That or I followed a bad link - thanks for pointing that out.

Either rate, the Maxxis tires I ordered should be in sometime next week, I'll have to post a review.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #14

The Pony seemed to be a 'limited time only' bike to bridge the gap between the Dallas-based American Lifan and the new and improved leadership So. Cal. A. Lifan. It seemed to be a one-container special, sadly. They would have been smart to keep it around since their promised 200cc enduro is taking so long...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-03-2018, 08:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by siikmonkee View Post

I haven't done as much as I would like, but there are a couple things done:

- 17T front sprocket
- VM22 Carb (got really dusty, I'm wondering if the stock box would have been a lot better for the health of the bike...still runs tho)
- New Chain
- 95 main jet
- Replaced the rear axle bolt with one from a grom, though I don't think this was necessary. Ended up being an entirely different reason on the rear of the bike that the dealer replaced, and had nothing to do with the axle.
Hey Siikmonkee,

How many links are in your chain when you run the 17 t front Sprocket?

Thanks!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat