Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #16

I did love the Dirt Rat 2 and I enjoyed it very much. The skills I developed on it safely brought my riding up to the point where I am able to utilize the performance of the YZ better and safer .

With that said I was ready for a performance upgrade, and The Dirt Rat 2 was up there in years. Not that a top end overhaul is such a big deal on an XR (ESPECIALLY compared to the YZ) but I think it was getting close. It was time to pass it on :wink: .

The new owner is more of a collector than a rider. I think the Rat will have a good retirement. :wink:

Old 01-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #17

I know what you mean when you say the DR2 improved your riding skills. I learned to ride off road on my Zong. After riding my XR650L for 20,000 miles, I became a better rider on both bikes. Now that I have acquired my KDX220, I'm learning additional skills.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #18

It's fun to learn different things, Brother Spud :P .

You'll LOVE the YZ. It pulls like your KDX does but throughout the rev range, there is no powerband per se. It just pulls from the top to the bottom. Hang on, twist, smile, repeat :P .

I can't believe the newer aluminum framed fuel injected 450's are even lighter and more powerful! This will keep me smiling for a long time to come.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #19

I'm looking forward to following the Spudification of the KDX. Better hurry up, Spring is almost here (God willing....)

Old 01-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I'm looking forward to following the Spudification of the KDX. Better hurry up, Spring is almost here (God willing....)
The high temperature today is supposed to reach 39 degrees Fahrenheit, and the sun is shining. Therefore, I am going to celebrate the end of January by taking a ride this afternoon.

In a few weeks I will start taking the KDX220 apart to grease the suspension, clean/inspect the engine, and powdercoat the frame. I discovered another great mountain trail while searching the internet, so I am getting excited about the arrival of spring! The mild winter and the small amount of snowfall are encouraging me that the mountain trails will become passable much earlier than usual this year.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #21

I replaced the chain and sprockets today. The old parts were way past it. I used stock gearing and an X-Ring chain from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. The whole kit was less than $100 and I like it.

The kickstand is in (Trailtech) and looks great. I just need to get some longer mounting bolts as the ones that came with it are too short due to a heel/frame guard that's in place and I want to keep.

I tried to repack the muffler but could not get it apart.

The end cap (FMF Turbine Core IV) has 3 allen screws. I removed them and could not get the core to come out or the end cap to come off. At the proximal end the outside is riveted on with about 6 rivets. Do I need to drill those out too?

I also got the fork seals but will defer that to Andy.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #22

Quote:
I replaced the chain and sprockets today. The old parts were way past it. I used stock gearing and an X-Ring chain from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. The whole kit was less than $100 and I like it...
I love Rocky Mountain ATV/MC!
Quote:
...The kickstand is in (Trailtech) and looks great. I just need to get some longer mounting bolts as the ones that came with it are too short due to a heel/frame guard that's in place and I want to keep...
I love the Trail Tech kick stand I installed on my KDX220; I bought it from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.
Quote:
...I tried to repack the muffler but could not get it apart.

The end cap (FMF Turbine Core IV) has 3 allen screws. I removed them and could not get the core to come out or the end cap to come off. At the proximal end the outside is riveted on with about 6 rivets. Do I need to drill those out too?...
Do you have a PowerCore 4 muffler? If so, FMF gives the following instructions for repacking.

"To repack the muffler, remove the allen screws from the front of the muffler. Do not remove the rear end cap. Grasping the midpipe, work the front end cap out of the canister. Use care not to damage or distort the shape of the canister or end cap. You may need a rubber or plastic mallet to lightly tap the front end cap out of the canister. Unwrap the packing from the core and discard. Clean the core with a wire brush then wrap with new packing and secure with a strip of 1/2” masking tape near each end of the core. Do not pack too tightly as this will hamper performance and increase sound level. Before reinstalling the inner core assembly, apply a thin bead of high temp silicone on the front endcap where it makes contact with the canister. Slide the inner core assembly into the canister making sure the perforated core is fully seated into the rear end cap. Wipe off any excess silicone. Reinstall the allen screws and tighten 1/4 turn after the screw contacts the canister. Allow sufficient time for the silicone to cure before starting the engine."

All of the FMF mufflers are disassembled from the proximal (front) end of the muffler. Both sides of the muffler should have bolts, but you are not supposed to remove the end cap of the muffler. The previous owner must have damaged the bolts, and riveted the muffler instead. :roll:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #23

There is one stock photo in the beginning of this thread, and that's it. Pics, man!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #24

Sorry Weld. There are some pics in my ride report and also ironically in my Harley thread in this sub-forum. I've been too busy riding it! :roll:

Thanks Brother Spud! That's what I needed to know. Funny the rivets on the proximal end look factory. Maybe that's how they did it back in the late 90's when this was installed. It has never been repacked acording to the seller who was the original owner.

In any event I'll tackile it tomorrow.

RMATV/MC is a great place to deal with.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #25

I got the kickstand mounted. Very nice!

I got the muffler apart. Quite the PIA. I cant get it back together, too much packing. The oval canister seems to make it a little harder. I have to bring the bike to Andy's shop anyways, I'll let him do it. Plus I don't have the right sized rivets on hand to put it back together. :evil:

There was a big puddle of coolant under it to greet me. The water pump seals must have finished letting go. Oh well, that's on the list.
:roll:
Once it's sorted it should be great.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #26

Kickstand and muffler, you say? I'm having a hard time visualizing... :wink:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Kickstand and muffler, you say? I'm having a hard time visualizing... :wink:

I'll be more blunt, and much less diplomatic than Brother Weld; let's see some photos! :P

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #28

Copy that. :wink:

Old 02-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #29

I brought the bike to Andy last night. He really liked it and thought I got a good deal. Hopefully I'll have it back soon with new seals in the forks and water pump, new headset bearings, and fresh fork oil and coolant. I look forward to many years of trouble free service from The Beast.

Weld, I promise a thorough photo tour of The Beast when I get it back. :P

Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #30

I 'won' a rear wheel assembly including axle, adjusters, brake, nice spare knobbie, and sprocket for $99 deliverd on eBay. I think that was a really good deal. I'll mount the sand paddle on it for quick change overs. This will be fun!