Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2024, 04:00 PM   #1

TT250 steering head - heads up

While working on fashioning an oil cooler mount last night I noticed that the left side of the steering head on my bike has holes in it. Luckily, I haven't had occasion to wash it yet as water could easily get inadvertently splashed into those holes and then get into the lower bearing. I'll just put a dot of RTV on each hole and call it good. At least it looks like they put a decent smear of grease on things. No matter though, as I'll be installing the tapered roller bearing set that I bought in due course. Along with changing the fork oil, etc... I just figured I'd pass this along in case anyone else was unaware that the holes are there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	695.0 KB
ID:	30975  

Old 03-13-2024, 05:02 PM   #2

Those are the rivet holes for your VIN, aren't they?
What happened to, or where is your VIN plate?

Old 03-13-2024, 05:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Those are the rivet holes for your VIN, aren't they?
What happened to, or where is your VIN plate?
The VIN is stamped on the steering head on the opposite side. There was never a plate on there since I just got the bike new back in February. There's also a sticker under the wiring on the left side of the frame with the VIN and all the compliance information. Another one on the swingarm too, but no plate.

Old 03-13-2024, 06:29 PM   #4

Yes, those are rivet holes for the frame/bike ID and Information tag. You may want to contact CSC

Old 03-14-2024, 03:56 PM   #5

CSC's response is in the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	31012  
-2024 CSC TT250, stage 3 motocult kit, Nibbi PE28FL with custom-made cable controlled choke, modified stock muffler (larger diameter tailpipe), custom oil cooler installation with relocated stock evaporative emissions canister, oversized stainless steel footpegs, IMS folding tip shifter, a few little blingy bolts and bits. More personal preference mods to come.

Old 03-14-2024, 06:00 PM   #6

Had a similar issue with a former Brozz 250 where grease was coming out as well as a rubber gasket and then it eventually started binding up. Took all apart and found a bunch of loose ball bearing.. A $5 set of bearings later and slathering of grease made it good as new. Never did neck surgery before but it was a good learning experience and fun since it was a success
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230321_200445.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	31013  

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 03-14-2024, 06:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjocko View Post
Well there ya go. Problem solved from the source. Good info for anybody in the future.

Speaking of grease... 2 great spots to tap threads for grease zerks lol

Old 03-15-2024, 08:27 AM   #8

You can text CSC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjocko View Post

Old 03-15-2024, 11:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopsweat View Post
You can text CSC?
I typically contact them through the pop-up chat on their website. Sometimes they respond with an email, but they've also responded by text.
-2024 CSC TT250, stage 3 motocult kit, Nibbi PE28FL with custom-made cable controlled choke, modified stock muffler (larger diameter tailpipe), custom oil cooler installation with relocated stock evaporative emissions canister, oversized stainless steel footpegs, IMS folding tip shifter, a few little blingy bolts and bits. More personal preference mods to come.

Old 04-06-2024, 07:46 PM   #10

Please let us know how the tapered bearings installation goes. The guy who does my state inspection harps on me to do that - I ended up replacing the originals w the same OEM replacement ones from CSC just so I could say I did, but they really didn’t need it. I think it’s the resistance from the cables he’s feeling or maybe just the dated design. However if you’re successful, I’d love to upgrade too! Pictures and part detail would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-06-2024, 08:27 PM   #11

I’ll be doing it here before too long. I just got my new tires, so I’ll be changing those out and changing the fork oil at the same time. Hopefully within the next week or so.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:09 PM   #12

Ran into a setback

I disassembled the steering head on my bike this evening only to find that the All Balls Racing part number 22-1021 tapered roller bearing kit is not a fit for my bike. Both the inner and outer diameters of the bearings included in that kit are much too large. I've sent the dimensions of the bearings and seals that I need to All Balls and will await their reply.

The OE ball bearing races on my bike measure as follows:

Upper, 22.5mm I.D, 41mm O.D.

Lower 24.0mm I.D, 41mm O.D.

Stay tuned.

Old 04-17-2024, 11:44 PM   #13

The light at the end of the tunnel got a little brighter.

A little poking around on All Balls' site got me headed back in the right direction. The bearings I need are part number 99-3516-5 and 99-3517-5. They're ordered and on their way with overnight shipping.

To be continued.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:54 AM   #14

I've had that scenario happen in reverse. Ordered parts that fit a TT250 for my Hawk, only to find out they don't quite fit. They are similar bikes, but in certain ways built differently.

Old 04-18-2024, 03:36 PM   #15

I have to get after my forks...oil, pre-load spacers...and now apparently tapered ball bearings. Thanks, guys!

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin