Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #1

Doh! TT250 Battery Fuse Keeps Blowing....

Every time I put in a new fuse and fire up the bike, it runs great for about 10 seconds and then blows the fuse... This is a brand new bike and this is frustrating. Took it up camping again to show some buddies my bike and I went through like 7 spare fuses. Yes they are the right amp fuses. Any thoughts? I don't know where to start...

Old 08-21-2016, 07:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWDualRider View Post
Every time I put in a new fuse and fire up the bike, it runs great for about 10 seconds and then blows the fuse... This is a brand new bike and this is frustrating. Took it up camping again to show some buddies my bike and I went through like 7 spare fuses. Yes they are the right amp fuses. Any thoughts? I don't know where to start...
I would start checking voltage output from the rectifier/regulator first. Make sure the rectifier is well grounded to the frame. If the rectifier is putting out between 13.4 to 15 volts at various rpm, charging system is probably ok.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #3

Angry

**UPDATE**

So I checked all the bulbs and lighting and everything was fine. Started up, ran great for 5 minutes and revved it up a lot to fluctuate the voltage. Turned off the bike and did that about 3 times. All things look great. It blows the fuse as soon as I put it in gear and give it a little throttle while slowly releasing the clutch. As soon as I did that, fuse blows, bikes dies, and all power is gone. Shouldn't the bike still run fine from the stator even without the battery? I can kick it over but it runs as long as I keep the RPM's high... As soon as it reaches idle, it shuts off. Also, my idle is slightly higher than normal anyways so idk what the hell is going on but this new motorcycle should not be having these issues after 2 months...

Old 08-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #4

Quote:
**UPDATE**

So I checked all the bulbs and lighting and everything was fine. Started up, ran great for 5 minutes and revved it up a lot to fluctuate the voltage. Turned off the bike and did that about 3 times. All things look great. It blows the fuse as soon as I put it in gear and give it a little throttle while slowly releasing the clutch. As soon as I did that, fuse blows, bikes dies, and all power is gone. Shouldn't the bike still run fine from the stator even without the battery? I can kick it over but it runs as long as I keep the RPM's high... As soon as it reaches idle, it shuts off. Also, my idle is slightly higher than normal anyways so idk what the hell is going on but this new motorcycle should not be having these issues after 2 months...
Sounds like the charging system is fine. Put it in gear and it blows the fuse. I would look for a short in the wires coming out of the transmission. Probably in the nuetral/gear light wire.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #5

You have a wire shorting/grounding out. Trace every wire, should not be too difficult to locate it. Look for pinched and burnt wires touching metal they shouldn't be. Take all plastics and engine covers off to check the wires and connections under them.

/

Old 08-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #6

I would also look very closely at the ignition/key switch and your kill switch and all their associated wiring. Internals of the switches. It sounds like something is grounding out your ignition system which is exactly what your kill switch is designed to do.

/

Old 08-21-2016, 08:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
You have a wire shorting/grounding out. Trace every wire, should not be too difficult to locate it. Look for pinched and burnt wires touching metal they shouldn't be. Take all plastics and engine covers off to check the wires and connections under them.

/
Boy are you correct on this , 4 months into ownership I found 2 areas of wiring for future grounding issues. One was on a coupler that was rubbing and another on a wire. Patched up with electric tape. Glad I found them and not on the road. Pays to inspect.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-21-2016, 10:19 PM   #8

Not sure what everyone uses for "electrical tape" here, but I figure I'd mention this for those that aren't aware of it.
I use a more rubberized, stretchy, type of electrical tape, versus the vinyl stuff everyone thinks of first.
I have two kinds.
Rubber mastic http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch...BA-5/202195402

and Temflex splicing tape.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-3-4-in...2155/202195401

These bond to themselves after stretching. They are more moisture resistant, and deal with much higher temps.
I have used this to make cover entire car wiring harnesses before.
I also use it to cover areas of wire that deal with vibration and abrasion, as well as possible heat.

Basically, it just last longer and is more reliable when exposed to elements.
You can see some on the sparkplug wire in this pic, which I used to wrap the coil signal wire for my vapor dash unit.
I've since redone it, but you get the idea of what it looks like. I even have some wrapped around the plug boot itself, to cover the coil wires wrapped around it.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:56 PM   #9

Harbor freight got it too $4 http://www.harborfreight.com/househo...ape-68401.html

It's scary how all us "engineers" think alike
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-21-2016, 11:01 PM   #10

Another idea to track down your electrical short is as soon as you blow a fuse get your nose down there and start smelling around. Electrical shorts put off that distinct electrical smoke smell.

/

Old 08-21-2016, 11:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
...as soon as you blow a fuse get your nose down there and start smelling around. Electrical shorts put off that distinct electrical smoke smell.
Or bring a dog to the scene. Clever one knows how by natural calls...

Old 08-22-2016, 03:11 AM   #12

Quote:
**UPDATE**

while slowly releasing the clutch. As soon as I did that, fuse blows, bikes dies, and
Clutch switch.... trace the wires and disconect it...
look for wires from the clutch lever on the handle bars..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 08-22-2016, 07:16 AM   #13

gear position switch is down there. if you put it in gear but hold the clutch in and rev it does it blow?

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 08-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #14

If I was at a craps table, I'd be betting on the guys throwing the dice for the wiring coming out of the tranny behind the countershaft cover.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-22-2016, 07:09 PM   #15

**UPDATE**

Found the problem... A zip tie snapped and there was a wire that rested against the exhaust pipe, melted the plastic and exposed the wires. Once I pulled the break lever. The wiring moved and it would touch the frame, grounding out and popping fuse. I fixed it all and placed new zip ties on. All is fixed👍