Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmprestine View Post
I purchased a new set of Shinko's while motorcycle superstore had them on sale and free shipping also. Was like ~$70 to my door for the set. I will trash the stockers first.
You got a great deal on those excellent, Shinko tires. I must say, the stock tires have a very nice, aggressive tread pattern.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post

For those who don't have access to a lathe, perhaps one of these chain guide rollers will work as well.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...chain%20roller

would this be in place of the slider on the swingarm or in addition to it? i dnt believe my shineray has a roller in the system, but it does have the rubber slider on the swingarm...

Old 07-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
would this be in place of the slider on the swingarm or in addition to it? i dnt believe my shineray has a roller in the system, but it does have the rubber slider on the swingarm...
This chain roller is an additional item, which is located near the counter shaft sprocket. Some bikes have them, and some don't. My two Honda motorcycles have these chain rollers, but my Zongshen bike does not.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #19

Thanks for the welcome.

Funny you mention the vac gauge as I have already put mine on there to get the mixture screw perfect. The stock jets are actually pretty good but I think I can dial it in a bit more. I have a jet drill kit that works pretty well. Once I do jet testing I then buy what I only need and use the vac gauge again to dial in the mixture screw.

I will take some more pictures of the foot pegs. From the top view you will see how crappy the were put on the TMEC. Both face forward and are tilted.

Acetal is just a type of delrin that is like UHMW but it is harder, self lubricating, and machines better and is just a good replacement for steel when plastic is needed. I have both but like the acetal better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome back! I like what you've done with your TMEC, and the pics are terrific.

That vacuum port can now operate a vacuum gauge, which can give you an idea of fuel economy at a given speed, among other info.

Exactly how does the footpeg mount need to be corrected? Position relative to the brake pedal?

Nice work on the chain roller. Is it UHMW?

Thanks for the tip on dismantling the flasher and clipping the piezo wire. Hadn't thought of that.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #20

They bolt right in place of the stockers but I did have to rework the return springs a bit. The new ones are just hands down better for my needs.

Quote:
Did the KLR650 foot pegs fit without any modification?

How do you plan to modify the foot peg mounts?

Old 07-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #21

The stock tires are actually pretty good and why I am leaving them on. They are great off road as that is what the tread patter is designed for but really suck in the rain on black top. At this point I feel that I will get between 3-4K on the stock rear before I change. I only bought the Shinkos because of the amazing deal motorcycle superstore had on them this spring. The rear Shinko is wider so it will be interesting to see how that tire rides and handles. The tread pattern should work well for me as I do 50/50 travels. I have some streeters on my CX500 that are very good for what you pay.

Quote:
You got a great deal on those excellent, Shinko tires. I must say, the stock tires have a very nice, aggressive tread pattern.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #22

As explained, it is in addition to the upper chain plate. On the TMEC the lower chain return would ride on top of a cross member and wear it out if this roller did not exist. The crap rubber one that came on the bike wore out in 20 miles and the chain was rubbing metal to metal. Not cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post

Old 07-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmprestine View Post
Thanks for the welcome.

Funny you mention the vac gauge as I have already put mine on there to get the mixture screw perfect. The stock jets are actually pretty good but I think I can dial it in a bit more. I have a jet drill kit that works pretty well. Once I do jet testing I then buy what I only need and use the vac gauge again to dial in the mixture screw.

I will take some more pictures of the foot pegs. From the top view you will see how crappy the were put on the TMEC. Both face forward and are tilted.

Acetal is just a type of delrin that is like UHMW but it is harder, self lubricating, and machines better and is just a good replacement for steel when plastic is needed. I have both but like the acetal better.
Good point on using the vac gauge for dialing in the pilot mixture screw; I had forgotten about that. I also drill jets to suit, but not with a specific jet drill kit. I have a numbered and lettered index that goes to about 60, IIRC.

Delrin is an excellent choice. I've installed Delrin bushings in hydraulic lifts, and they never seem to wear.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #24

wow - not check in for a few days, and a ton of new info on the bike! i want to do some of that to mine!! lol. not that I've had any issues, but if its better…. especially whatever you did to make it run cooler, mine gets pretty warm running around town. where in wisconsin are you? I'm in monroe, south of madison.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #25

Ya saw all the posting for the TMEC and thought I better get off my arse since I had this black beauty for awhile now.

I didnt get any temp readings prior to removing all the EPA stuff but I will take some now though. I have one of those IR thermometers from HF and will take some reading after riding this weekend. It is a bit relative as I have no control data but perhaps you can take some to compare with.

I live in Green Bay. Off road there are many places near here. Just to the north in all the forests are great. There are several dual sport clubs (DS) that have worked to get access to many of the ATV trails and there are also the fire and logging roads.

This site is pretty good for multi-use trails in WI and the UP:

http://www.vvmapping.com/trails/

As an example I plan to take a ride over to Kewaunee to check out Lake Michigan, pick up some salmon and will stop at this ORV park near there.

http://www.vvmapping.com/trails/kewaunee.html

This is my trip the weekend after next. I have three days off work so I plan to camp and travel the UP. About 1hr 45 min from me. Upper Peninsula of Michigan for those non cheese heads. When I travel around the country for work it is funny how so many people think it is part of Wisconsin. Probably should be.

http://www.vvmapping.com/trails/norway.html

DS clubs. Not a member but plan to connect on a rides this fall.

http://www.widualsportriders.org/v3/default.asp

http://www.gldsmc.org/

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by footer View Post
wow - not check in for a few days, and a ton of new info on the bike! i want to do some of that to mine!! lol. not that I've had any issues, but if its better…. especially whatever you did to make it run cooler, mine gets pretty warm running around town. where in wisconsin are you? I'm in monroe, south of madison.

Last edited by mmprestine; 07-25-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:18 PM   #26

TMEC-200 Mod 11

After riding the bike for awhile I noticed that the head set nut was loose. In an attempt to tighten it, I then became aware that it was just stripped and not loose. Upon inspection with a dial caliper I found that the diameter was to large to support proper threading engagement to the fork stem. With some research I found that the threading is common with Honda and replaced my nut and washer with the following parts. Thankfully it was just the nut and not the fork stem. Gotter nice and tight now.

Honda parts: Washer and Nut - Thread size is 24mm x 1mm pitch.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...3-283-000.html

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...4-415-000.html

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honda washer.JPG (40.5 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg honda head set nut.JPG (31.0 KB, 316 views)

Last edited by mmprestine; 07-25-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: updated stem nut thread info

Old 07-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #27

Thanks for sharing a another great tip.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #28

Good job! I like the idea of swapping Honda parts on.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #29

Thanks. Inspiring to see what the Zong lives through and if the TMEC does 50% of that I will be plenty happy. In the 80s I had a Honda 185s and the TMEC is very similar but actually better although I did pound the crap out of that thing. During my dirt bike days and when I would use it around town always thought I was on the dirt bike.
Quote:
Thanks for sharing a another great tip.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:43 PM   #30

I haven't been able to get on since my computer took a dump, but am borrowing my son's. I like what you have done to the TMEC! I have kept my TMEC relatively stock, including the EPA equipment. It does get hot, however--much more than my '09 bike which did not have the smog stuff. I have been riding in the 105 to 108 F range home from work (16+ miles), but this week has been even hotter at 114 F to 118 F. The bike does not skip a beat, fortunately, since I would hate to be sitting on the side of the road with turkey vultures waiting for me to cook to the proper temperature! I have a little over 1500 miles indicated by converting the odometer KMs reading on my bike since I started riding the new one in May.

I am glad to see you confirmed the KLR pegs, since someone mentioned this mod about 7 years ago when all the GY200's were about the same no matter who made them. Even though the TMECs are slightly different from other manufacturers it is nice to know that at least the foot peg mod is the same! There you go, Footer, since I believe you were wondering about pegs.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Tags
163fml, 200cc, tmec, tmec-200, tmec-200-1