Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2021, 05:31 AM   #1

Anyone tried adding an AliExpress ABS kit ?

Hey Folks,

the only important thing I find missing on my RUSI is ABS brakes - and here in the Philippines with so many road hazzards (think cars/motorbikes/kids/dogs/goats appearing out of nowhere day and night - and no lights on at night ) it'd be a real bonus.

I've found what appears to be a generic ABS upgrade kit on AliExpress. Have asked 2 sellers if it'll suit my model (they list some Hondas and other Japanese models - and a generic "12 volts" bike comment).

One seller said yes before I even gave the bike details - the other hasn't replied - I was just wondering if anyone had tried to add ABS - the pricing is great and the kit looks complete.....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000339081383.html

Old 06-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #2

sounds like a solution looking for a problem to me... i dont even like abs on my cars, let alone my bike...

Old 06-10-2021, 04:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
sounds like a solution looking for a problem to me... i dont even like abs on my cars, let alone my bike...
Try living in a third world country with third world populations, roads, road rules and driving attitudes and you'll appreciate the need for every available safety option.

Every time the ABS brakes on my car kick in as I avoid another collision with some Shabu-fueled hero riding in the dark with no headlights on (they believe it'll save them fuel by leaving the lights off) up the wrong way in a one way street - I avoid also paying a few $1000 to his family for his demise - and jailtime. The rules here are the larger vehicle is at fault unless you convince a judge.

Well the same goes on a bike - hitting a drunk pedestrian in the dark will give the same results - if you live after the locals try to lynch you at the scene .... Get the picture ?

Old 06-10-2021, 05:49 AM   #4

I think the idea of abs on a street bike is good (not so much on an off road bike).

My concerns on a universal kit is how well does it work and how reliable is it? I mean if you read reviews on factory equipped ABS motorcycles , some are praised and some are hated due to how effective they are, so I'm not sure a universal kit is going to work as well as even a poorly designed factory unit.

The theres reliability. How long will this last, how do you get replacement parts in a hurry, and what happens if it does fail?

Again, dont get me wrong, I am a fan of ABS on street bikes and automobiles, I'm just suspicious of a universal kit. But try it, post up a thread with the installation and let us know how it works, it may be fantastic and save someone's life.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 06-10-2021, 07:55 AM   #5

You obviously think you need this, and you've pretty much decided to try it. Be my guest. If you survive, give us a report on how it works. But I will say that ABS is not a cure-all for stopping, has its own problems even when it works to perfection, and for a careful rider is very, very seldom even activated.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:03 AM   #6

So, a few months ago, I found out that there was an ABS version of the KPM200 and similar bikes. More than likely, this is the kit that was used to retrofit it. I believe it could work. The only problems are:

Getting the tone ring to attach to the brake discs. Mounting the sensors. Adding the needed brake lines. Setting the sensitivity. Making sure your bike makes enough electrical power to support the system.

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Fitment is the other issue, but that's probably easier than the rest of them. You just have to give up some cargo space.

As for longevity, It's probably the OEM equipment for the bikes mentioned in the product page. I know the binelli comes with ABS, but probably not in every market.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilledPI View Post
Try living in a third world country with third world populations, roads, road rules and driving attitudes and you'll appreciate the need for every available safety option.

Every time the ABS brakes on my car kick in as I avoid another collision with some Shabu-fueled hero riding in the dark with no headlights on (they believe it'll save them fuel by leaving the lights off) up the wrong way in a one way street - I avoid also paying a few $1000 to his family for his demise - and jailtime. The rules here are the larger vehicle is at fault unless you convince a judge.

Well the same goes on a bike - hitting a drunk pedestrian in the dark will give the same results - if you live after the locals try to lynch you at the scene .... Get the picture ?
theres just as many issues like that in America, where i live. sometimes its different types of stupidity, like texting while driving, yelling at the kids in the backseat and not watching the road,, drunk driving, driving under the influence (marijuana, cocaine, heroin, etc) and the general entitlement of the "get out of my way" attitude.

the bottom line is, as long as there are people driving, there will always be distracted drivers/pedestrians.

Old 06-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #8

Or you could try this...

Hi Everyone,

Or you could try my idea.

I just consider EVERYONE is an idiot and treat them accordingly, UNTIL THEY PROVE OTHERWISE...

It's safer this way...

Take care and ride safe...

Joe...

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 06-10-2021 at 02:49 PM. Reason: resize text

Old 07-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #9

Update - ABS installed - works fine ....

Best US$262 I have spent on the bike ....

Calibrated and works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6076 (2).jpg (176.6 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6077 (2).jpg (180.2 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6078 (2).jpg (179.6 KB, 226 views)

Old 08-14-2021, 10:13 PM   #10