Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2022, 08:05 PM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Great review of this bike! Helps those of us looking to buy but not knowing much about different brands/models.
After a few months of ownership, no disappointments at all. I did add a 14T front sprocket, and a 39T rear sprocket. This dropped the revs and made it more civilized at speed, BUT lost the off road capabiity. You really need low gearing for off road... This bike starts easy and runs great. It is a perfect runabout to run errands, and you can take the construction site diversion or real wilderness trail if you want to

Here are a few comments:
First, this is an enduro, and you are buying better off-road performance than a dual sport. The frame is stiff and fairly light, you can adjust the preload/rebound/compression (rear) and compression/rebound on the front shocks. The adjustable shocks deliver good control on these knobbies.
Second, the engine is smooth and easy, delivering tractable torque from down low on up for off-road adventures, and the suspension/frame/wheels hold up to more abuse than anyone but a professional racer might expect, for about $2000 !!!
Third, Anyone that wants a really capable road bike should look into a 400cc or above engine. I have ridden big bore 4 cylinder bikes for my entire life, and NONE of these dual purpose 250s are really good road bikes. But it will get you to the dirt.

But for me, the Templar X works. Personally, I don't think that any 4 stroke 250 dirt bike is "comfortable" on the road for more than an hour or two!

If you are on two lane side roads and don't have to face Interstate traffic, then a 250cc bike might work for you. I guess it depends on your preferences. The only question after that is do you want knobbies and be able to survive on anything worse than hard pack with a little loose gravel or sand, or dual purpose tires. You can do some single track with dual sport tires, but it is a little dangerous (washing out, slipping).

Last edited by Thumper; 03-04-2024 at 09:23 AM.

Old 11-26-2022, 01:53 PM   #2

exploration choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Third, Anyone that wants a really capable road bike should look into a 400cc or above engine. I have ridden big bore 4 cylinder bikes for my entire life, and NONE of these dual purpose 250s are really good road bikes. Sure, you can get from here to there dependably, but these days, highways are populated with big quadcab trucks, massive SUVs, all driving like a bat out of hell! It is not a pleasant experience unless you have the power to dominate when you need (600cc plus!!!)

... don't let anyone tell you that any 4 stroke 250 dual purpose is "comfortable" on the road for more than an hour or two!

If you are on two lane side roads and don't have to face Interstate traffic, then a 250cc bike might work for you. The only question after that is do you want knobbies and be able to survive on anything worse than hard pack with a little loose gravel or sand, or dual purpose tires, and stay away from the real fun off-road (beyond the dirt road on the trails). Don't expect a dual purpose bike to take you there! If you want a smoother ride, and willing to forego that off-road stuff, well, you know what to buy
Thanks - for taking the time to summarize that; it's really useful (cycle market) confirmation of what I've been suspecting, as a newcomer (at 71!), simply looking to explore ...

Just learning, I've been dismayed at the INflexibility of cycles and, especially, cycle tires; SO surface-specific ... hardly conducive to exploring.

The line between dual-sport vs. light Adventure bikes poses the decisions you mentioned in your last two sentences. Though unpaved backroad exploring might be the goal, reality is that some two-lane pavement is, often, a prerequisite.

Old 11-26-2022, 08:06 PM   #3

Dual sprot tires are essentially road tires that provide some traction off road.

Knobbies aren't that great at cornering, but if you drive sensibly, they hold on pavement adequately. After all, you aren't running a road race with a 250cc engine anyway.

The key is to keep out of the way, and get there safe. You will be rewarded when you reach the trail. I have trailered the Templar to trails. Anything farther than 50 miles away, worth it. You don't have to tear up the trails like a MX racer, but you want the TRACTION and capability of a real enduro when you get there. Knobbies.

Last edited by Thumper; 03-04-2024 at 09:25 AM.

Old 11-27-2022, 12:56 PM   #4

how much suspension travel is REALLY needed?

This video astonished me!

The video suggests that the rider is just a trail buddy i.e. not some pro, hired by the factory for an ad. Granted, this guy (black jacket) can REALLY ride; but, nevertheless, it got me thinking about what bikes can really do, when standing on the pegs, letting the bike 'float' under you. Suspension travel (5.1"/5.8") and ground clearance (7.1") specs suggest that a Versys X-300 has no business doing/attempting this! ??? What this guy is doing without suspension travel, measured in yards/meters, is astounding!

Why look at the Versys X-300? ... because sometimes lengthy highway riding is required to get to scenic backroads. I haven't seen/read of many willing to do that on an enduro bike with lights and a plate on it.

Maybe I can find some ~50/50 (or so) tire that can bite enough into loose surface and still be ridden (gingerly) on pavement without squirming out from under the bike in corners? Putting along at 60 mph on a highway is fine by me; at 71 I don't care if the whole world is passing me! I'm thinking, 'The slower you go, the more you see (other than the road/path)!' I suffer from wanderlust - not ego!

If I were content to trailer a bike, why not just ride the Jeep, leaving the bike at home? ... a LOT more comfortable than riding in a 'space suit' (for protection) in heat/cold.

Old 01-28-2023, 06:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoveror View Post
Thanks - for taking the time to summarize that; it's really useful (cycle market) confirmation of what I've been suspecting, as a newcomer (at 71!), simply looking to explore ...

Just learning, I've been dismayed at the INflexibility of cycles and, especially, cycle tires; SO surface-specific ... hardly conducive to exploring.

The line between dual-sport vs. light Adventure bikes poses the decisions you mentioned in your last two sentences. Though unpaved backroad exploring might be the goal, reality is that some two-lane pavement is, often, a prerequisite.
There isn't really any light adventure sports bikes. They all weigh close to 400 lbs. This is NOT a good trail weight.

Last edited by Thumper; 01-29-2023 at 10:13 AM.

Old 01-29-2023, 09:16 AM   #6

There are a few "light" adventure tour bikes, but they are kind of on the heavy side, and they are expensive. Most of them are pavement oriented:

-BMW G 310 GS 386 lbs (full tank), $6000, road oriented tires, barely dual sport (definitely pavement oriented tires)

-2022 Honda CRF300L Rally 330 lbs (curb weight) $6200, dual sport tires (knobby-ish)

-Kawasaki Versys-X 300 386 lbs (dry weight), $5900 ($6200 with ABS) dual sport tires (pavement oriented)

-KTM 390 Adventure 387 lbs (wet weight), dual sport tires $6800 dual sport tires

-CSC RX4 Adventure 450 lbs (wet weight), $5000 dual sport tires

Contrasting lighter 250cc bikes that weigh 100lbs less, smaller engines, less comfortable on the road These bikes weigh about 280 lbs and make ~20hp:

Lifan KPX 250 $3200 dual sport (pavement oriented, EFI aspirated)

Zuumav Templar X $1900, DOT rated knobbies with a strong rack with mounting positions for side racks (off-road capable as is, carbureted). This thread is supposed to be about the Templar X build quality and assembly. Lots of info on the first couple of pages of in this thread.

The reality is that only the KTM advertises their bike as off-road capable (well, Honda too). Pictures include real off-road situations, not just "dirt roads"!! But some people don't want to go on the trails, so these bikes are fine for forest service roads, and such. The exceptions are those that have the wrong tires!

The KTM is the most powerful of the bunch without added weight penalty. The others always show them getting ridden in mountain twisty roads or along highway 101 (with the ocean in the horizon!). Adventure touring CAN include off road riding, but not for an older rider like me !! You must be nimble and strong, and able to lift that 400lbs back up if/WHEN you go down on the trail. The Honda is lighter than most, and a true contender for tractable off-road use.

The Lifan KPX and Templar X are more in the "dual sports" category. KPX is shod with mild pavement oriented dual sports tires and has pretty tall seat height, while Templar is more of an enduro frame/suspension, and the tallest of the bunch at 36" seat height. But it is also the easiest to ride off road, while still having lighting to get registered for the road (but technically not a road bike). Templar may not be registered in all States, though most of us have had no issues.

Last edited by Thumper; 01-29-2023 at 01:17 PM.

Old 01-29-2023, 12:13 PM   #7

EXCELLENT, thorough summary, Thumper.

Have you rolled your Templar X over the bathroom scale? ... adding the measurements under each wheel?

Old 01-29-2023, 03:10 PM   #8

Still don't have a scale. I will try to take it to a loading dock with a scale when it warms up a bit.