Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2022, 01:09 PM   #1

It shall be interesting to see what 2023 brings...

One of the places i deliver to frequently doing pizza delivery is the local Honda dealership. As a result of that i have had a chance to look the bikes over pretty good during deliveries. Was debating the idea of getting another bike to be able to keep riding however.... I have lost a lot of range of motion in my legs making it difficult to throw my leg over the seat of a lot of bikes. Which is a pity as there is an older Buell Ulysses dual sport in there. Unfortunately both it and the Kawasaki KLX right next to it are too tall now. Hell as it was i was barely able to get my leg over the seat of a new Rebel and CBR500F. Which leads me to look towards the mini moto line for now to be able to keep riding. Thus it brings me to the Navi, Grom and Monkey. The sales people recommended against the Navi because it was a less then enjoyable experience even for riders lighter then me. The Monkey and Grom can handle a bit heavier riders. Here are the main specs. All the Monkey essentially is is a Grom redone to look like an older Honda trail but there are some key spec differences.

Honda Grom:

Specs:
Engine & Drivetrain
Engine Type: Air-cooled, single-cylinder

Displacement: 125 cc

Bore & Stroke: 50.0 mm x 63.1 mm

Compression Ratio: 10.0:1

Valve Train: Chain-driven SOHC, two valves per cylinder

Fuel Delivery: PGM-FI electronic fuel injection

Transmission: Five-speed

Final Drive: #420 O-ring-sealed chain

Chassis & Suspension
Front Suspension
31 mm inverted fork; 100 mm (3.9 in.) travel

Rear Suspension
Single shock w/ steel box-section swingarm; 104 mm (4.1 in.) travel

Additional Information
Tires
Front: 120/70-12
Rear: 130/70-12

Brakes
Front: Single 220 mm disc with two-piston caliper
Rear: Single 190 mm disc with single-piston caliper

Seat Height
761 mm (30 in.)

Wheelbase
1,200 mm (47.2 in.)

Curb Weight
Standard: 101 kg (223 lb.) including required fluids and full tank of gas—ready to ride
ABS: 102 kg (225 lb.) including required fluids and full tank of gas—ready to ride

Fuel Capacity
6.0 litres

Colour
Standard: Red
ABS: Pearl White (Tri-colour)

Warranty
12 months, unlimited mileage, freely transferable warranty; extended coverage available with Honda Plus

Honda Monkey:

Engine & Drivetrain
Engine type
Air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke

Displacement
124 cc

Bore & stroke
50 mm x 63.1 mm

Compression ratio
10.0:1

Valve train
SOHC; two valves per cylinder

Fuel delivery
PGM-FI with automatic enrichment

Transmission
Five-speed

Final drive
#420 O-ring-sealed chain (37T /14T)

Chassis & Suspension
Front suspension
31mm inverted fork; 100 mm (3.9 in) travel

Rear suspension
Twin shock; 102 mm (4.0 in.) travel

Dimensions & Additional Information
Tires
Front: 120/80-12 Rear: 130/80-12

Brakes
Front: Single 220mm hydraulic disc Rear: Single 190mm hydraulic disc

Ground clearance
175 mm (6.9 in.)

Seat height
775 mm (30.5 in)

Wheelbase
1143 mm (45.0 in)

Curb weight
105 kg (231 lb) including required fluids and full tank of gas - ready to ride

Fuel capacity
5.6 litres

Colour
Pearl Nebula Red / Knight Silver Metallic

Warranty
12 months, unlimited mileage

As you guys can see near identical specs for the most part other then the Grom having a slightly lower seat height and a larger fuel tank. The Monkey also has a slightly lower weight capacity. The odd thing is the Monkey is $1300 more on the Honda website then the Grom. While i like the retro styling of the Monkey i am not sure if i like it enough to justify the increased cost. I could easily use that $1300 to do some nice mods to the Grom like a power commander or regearing. Actually i could do a bit more then that. More likely PC, Regear, Exhaust and intake as all these are plenty affordable on Amazon.

Mostly going to be spending a good chunk of this week researching both then deciding on pre ordering a 2023 next sat. Question is though...Grom or Monkey lol
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 08-21-2022, 01:37 PM   #2

Can you get Lifans where you are? Or shipped to you? Strongly consider the Lifan KP Mini, a better Grom for around $2K less. Lots of upgrade support too.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 08-21-2022, 06:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Can you get Lifans where you are? Or shipped to you? Strongly consider the Lifan KP Mini, a better Grom for around $2K less. Lots of upgrade support too.

There are practically zero china bike options around here other then the occasional Gio that shows up on Kijiji. Ironically enough it was a Gio pit bike that started me here. Kinda miss the lil guy actually as i had started to figure out how to convert it to being street legal just before i got rid of it.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 08-22-2022, 03:09 AM   #4

You can't get your leg over a Honda Rebel at 27" seat height, so you are looking at a Grom or Monkey at 30" and 31" ???

What are you doing, sneaking up on them from behind?

Old 08-22-2022, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krat View Post
You can't get your leg over a Honda Rebel at 27" seat height, so you are looking at a Grom or Monkey at 30" and 31" ???

What are you doing, sneaking up on them from behind?

Think you misread it. I said barely. And that was more so on the 500 then it was the Rebel. That said the Grom and Monkey are much smaller bikes and easier to move around as needed. Worse comes to worse i put up the kick stand, Grab a handful of brake to hold the front wheel locked and lean the bike towards myself. Not so easy to do with larger machines like the aforementioned Rebel and 500. Also both bikes have longer seats then the bigger bikes. Makes it much easier to rest a leg on them for a moment rather then scratching the hell out of rear body work with my boot like the other two would result in after a period of time.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-22-2022, 04:18 PM   #6

If I had to choose between the three I would likely take the Grom or the Navi. I like the Grom the most, though it sure has gone up in price since it's introduction here. I'm curious about the Navi as well, I've seen a few reviews on Youtube and most of the riders really liked them. Basically a scooter with plastics to make it look more like a regular motorcycle, the gas and go would make it pretty pokey I imagine but still fun to bomb around on no doubt.

Agree on the lack of chinese bikes here in Canada, I can't even get Venom's dual sport motorcycle page to load when I click on the links in the other threads. I remember when I had my Gio quads and Konker KSM200 there were a few chinese bikes being sold here, but they've all dried up since.

Last edited by MICRider; 08-22-2022 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-22-2022, 08:19 PM   #7

I would 100% say to look into the Lifan KP-Mini, even if it costs you an extra couple of bucks for shipping. Failing that, the next step would be the Grom. The Monkey has a very small target audience, and as such, almost no resale value if you ever need to unload it.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 08-22-2022, 08:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider View Post
If I had to choose between the three I would likely take the Grom or the Navi. I like the Grom the most, though it sure has gone up in price since it's introduction here. I'm curious about the Navi as well, I've seen a few reviews on Youtube and most of the riders really liked them. Basically a scooter with plastics to make it look more like a regular motorcycle, the gas and go would make it pretty pokey I imagine but still fun to bomb around on no doubt.

Agree on the lack of chinese bikes here in Canada, I can't even get Venom's dual sport motorcycle page to load when I click on the links in the other threads. I remember when I had my Gio quads and Konker KSM200 there were a few chinese bikes being sold here, but they've all dried up since.

I sat on a Navi today when i was at the dealership to ask more questions as they are similar seat height to the Grom with a slightly longer wheelbase then the Grom. It felt comfortable, Could do with a bar riser for a bit more upright riding position but im sure i could also get that by rotating the bars back a bit as well. Im reasonably sure the Grom would be similar in that regard. The Salespeople and one of the mechanics recommended the Grom or Monkey over the Navi to me due to me being a slightly heavier rider.

As for chinese bikes drying up im trying to remember when was the last time i even seen a Gio pop up on Kijiji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
I would 100% say to look into the Lifan KP-Mini, even if it costs you an extra couple of bucks for shipping. Failing that, the next step would be the Grom. The Monkey has a very small target audience, and as such, almost no resale value if you ever need to unload it.

Unfortunately from what i could find out Lifan is no longer available in Canada as of 2014 when they ran into some EPA troubles here (Think VW Dieselgate level here)
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote: