Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Just out of curiousity, how many miles has your Cyclone racked up, Joe? It's sure been around the map.

Not to slight the RX-3 reviews of the other fine magazines, but having made the pages of Cycle World is a huge step. The other publications are niche' mags. CW crosses all styles (except the nudie-chopper drool inducers) and CSC has now been brought to the attention of a wide spectrum of riders. I'm hoping to see CW do a full road test and report on the 2016 RX3 Cyclone once it hits the shores. Has there been any discussion on that, Joe?

Happy & safe New Year to all.
I don't have that many miles on mine compared to some, Jay. I think I am at about the 10,000-mile mark now, or maybe just a little bit below it. Part of the reason for that is that I usually don't commute on my motorcycles; I mostly use them for rides (sometimes day rides, sometimes weeks-long rides). Another part of it is that I have been spending time on the new TT250. Another part is that on the recent trip to Colombia the good folks at AKT Moto lent a bike to me. And then I have my old KLR, which I don't think I've put 500 miles on since I picked up my RX3. I probably should sell the KLR, but I am emotionally attached to it (the KLR is 10 years old now and it still looks brand new). There are others on this forum (like Spud, for example) who have racked up many more miles than me.

There hasn't been any discussion about a more comprehensive road test with any of the magazines, other than some rather unrealistic demands presented to us by some of the smaller mags about us giving them a loaner bike for several weeks. We just don't give away motorcycles to publications (or anyone else, for that matter) for weeks on end, although we made an exception with Cycle World because (as you have noted) they are a major player and their writing and reporting is always good. We are going to make an exception to our general rule of no loaners with the new RX3-P police bikes; we have four that we will loan for 30 days (at no charge) to police agencies who wish to evaluate the bikes.

Dealing with the motorcycle media can be tricky. You just never know how it's going to turn out, even with a great bike like the RX3. All of the reviews on the RX3 have been positive, and where they point out their perceived negatives, it is (in my opinion) mostly because they have to find something negative to say. We put far more stock in our riding impressions and in those we hear from you, our riders, than what we read in any magazine.

There are a couple of new pieces out this month in Motorcyclist. Joe Gresh did his "Cranked" column on "motoracism," which was a well-written piece that was right on the money. He essentially dismisses the irrational criticisms of Chinese bikes as a form of racism (a position with which I agree). The new issue also contains his piece on our Western America Adventure Ride; at first I was disappointed in that article, but others told me I was being too sensitive about Joe's comments about me. I've concluded my team of life coaches are correct. I read it again. Now I like it.

Last edited by CSCDude; 01-06-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
...CW crosses all styles (except the nudie-chopper drool inducers) and CSC has now been brought to the attention of a wide spectrum of riders...
Zongshen models have more class.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #18

My rx-3 is still kinda new to me, and its presence ( it exists but is not seen ) in our little group. I hope the CW exposure will allow some of my buddys to at least get up and take a closer look at mine. Standing with arms folded from a distance "well it looks OK but we'll see". Not all are bike snobs , the capt. says " well its already 10 times better than I thought it would be".
For me its great and I look so forward to being around the CSC Baja group in March and really getting to know the bike and our common interest in it.
It'll be great.
gary

Old 01-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC View Post
My rx-3 is still kinda new to me, and its presence ( it exists but is not seen ) in our little group. I hope the CW exposure will allow some of my buddys to at least get up and take a closer look at mine. Standing with arms folded from a distance "well it looks OK but we'll see". Not all are bike snobs , the capt. says " well its already 10 times better than I thought it would be".
For me its great and I look so forward to being around the CSC Baja group in March and really getting to know the bike and our common interest in it.
It'll be great.
gary
We are going to have a good time in Baja. I'm thinking about it a lot, too.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #20

Still haven't mastered the multiple quote thing here.
Joe, I understood about the Colombia trip, was just wondering about your miles. Baja, Western States Ride, and others all add up.

I fully appreciate and can relate about the KLR. I will probably never part with my R60/5.

As far as media comments and their mention of *negatives*, they can never win. Post a report that puts the machine down, folks say they're prejudiced. Post only praise, folks assume it's because of advertising dollars. I don't envy them. I agree with CSC about not freely handing the bikes out. I'd have to know that my return would pay off considerably before doing so.

15 hard-riding days with temps from freezing to 100F+ and only one squabble between riders from HOW many cultures? Hmmm. I guess I might actually buy a copy to fully evaluate the story.

Sending PM regarding the RX3-P.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:55 PM   #21

Jay +1 to your comment about multiple quotes. But my problem is there is so much good stuff in this forum its hard to remember who to quote and who to comment to.

Joe, I just have to say your blog and the whole CSC website are awesome. I hope you realize that you are not only supporting and growing CSCĀ“s business but you are supporting the RX3 on an international level with the information and tutorials you guys post. I try to follow the Colombian RX3 forums and the RX3 facebook pages and I see many comments across many different sites linking back to your website and/or information. You guys need a huge pat on the back for everything you are doing for the RX3, the China bike industry and of course for individual owners across the globe looking for help, insight in making a decision or accessories to improve on an awesome bike. Just my .02 cents but thank you and keep up the great work. Wish I could tag along on that Baja ride. Maybe your next Colombia trip...count me in!!