Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #1

Question Zongshen Seirra suspension upgrade?

Good morning,
Ive been doing some riding on my early 2000's zong, I'm not sure what year it is but its the older version of the bike. I can't help but notice the rear shock is more like a pogo stick then a shock absorber. Ive seen Spuds swingarm conversion, but he has the newer style bike so I'm not sure it would work for my bike, and I'm not going for a swingarm swap. Is anyone aware of any aftermarket shock absorbers that will bolt up directly and have significantly better performance?

Thanks!
- Denim

Old 04-22-2021, 01:41 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to ikeus685
Thats easy.. ebay, amazon.. whoever.. Breakl out your handy tape measure and find the distance..eye to eye of your shock (s) ebay offers the largest selection>> Just to find what may work..
G luck

Old 04-23-2021, 09:33 AM   #3

Hmm...I was kinda hoping for actual numbers myself -my rear shock is probably due for replacement (still the OEM one, on a 13yo third-hand bike ) and I do have a source for an original (hopefully unused...) OEM one, but it wouldn't hurt to have some actual numbers at hand for upgrading to a decent, compatible aftermarket one.

Old 05-25-2021, 06:24 AM   #4

Any news on your research? I'm actively looking for a suspension replacement myself, but it seems that even OEM Sierra/ZS 200 GY-2 rear shocks are unobtainium, and I have no definitive measurements/numbers to go by.

Edit: I contacted the OEM source I mentioned a few weeks ago, but it turns out they have ran out of stock, selling the last one about a month ago Seems they were quite in demand...

Sadly, from a quick search, neither aliexpress or the UK-based China Parts LTD has a compatible shock anymore (the generic "GY 200" one has different mounting sizes top & bottom). Worse, the guy who ran out of stock also told me that these shocks are not rebuildable

I wonder if the only upgrade path is to fit a different shock mounting bracket, a leverage system, a Yamaha rear swingarm or weld the old mounts on a new shock...

Edit: By comparing a pic of the stock shock:

and the standard Yamaha TW200 shock:

they do look very similar...in particular the differently-sized mounting points. I wonder....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9273836_0_b.jpg (154.8 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg s-l640.jpg (36.7 KB, 273 views)

Last edited by ChillRider; 05-25-2021 at 08:01 AM.

Tags
seirra, suspension, tw200, upgrade, zongshen