Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Which Zong tank plastic do you prefer?
Factory Tank Plastic 26 47.27%
3-Fin Tank Plastic Mod 2 3.64%
2-Fin Tank Plastic Mod 2 3.64%
No-Fin Tank Plastic Mod 5 9.09%
Clarke 4.1 Gallon Fuel Tank 20 36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #46

8O OH CHIT !!!!! I really like that rear plastic after you cut it :twisted: . I am not to fond of the front though ( yet ), I dont like how you can see the tank protruding from the bottom of that cut plastic, looks outa place to me. But I think I may be cutting my damn rear fender's now , no biggie repainting again. BIKE IS LOOKING GREAT SPUD :wink:

P.S. do you think now that you have no use for your kingston's I could buy them from you ? :mrgreen:

Old 08-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Isn't part of the reason for the tank shroud out the front to scoop the air into the front of the tank and direct it down to the air cooled engine? I could be wrong, and I don't know what I am talking about, thats why I am asking... Either way though I still prefer stock. That said, nice pictures, I like the 4 oclock one best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
IMHO, the original plastic was there to emulate the current Jap bikes that have radiators. I tend to agree with Spud that the original plastic creates more wind resistance than anything….
Jim, I don’t think the original air louvers helped engine cooling. I agree with WG; I believe they were purely cosmetic.

Both the Yamaha TW200 and the Yamaha XT225 employ the same engine block as my Zong. Neither of these two motorcycles employs air louvers to aid engine cooling. In fact, the Yamaha TW200 even has a low mounted front fender.

I agree, the stock Zong is an attractive motorcycle. However, my Zong is more streamlined, lighter, and trail-worthy after this tank plastic mod.

Another incentive that inspired this modification was my desire to make the Zong easier to clean and maintain. The large tank shroud and fake “radiator” concealed a lot of dirt and mud underneath them. :( These excess parts also made it more difficult for my hand, and even the hose, to wash the dirt away. With the extra plastic and fake “radiator” removed, I can now more easily clean, inspect, and maintain my motorcycle.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite
Is there any reason to keep the shroud? I'm curious what it would look like without. The Lifan's not so good (IMHO).
True to his name, FastDoc "beat you to the punch," Craig! He suggested the same idea on page 1 of this thread.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwholler
Spud,

How about painting the tank orange to match the remaining orange in the shroud like this?
That is an excellent suggestion, DW! My good friend Andy suggested the same idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
Before going ahead and painting the plastic, I would first try some paint on the cut off remnants of plastic. Most important would be how the paint would react to slops and spills when filling the tank with gas. I know other have had problems with the paint bubbleing up after a small spill. Perhaps some paints or clear coats would preform better than others? That pproblem is what has kept me from trying to get rid of the labels on my tank cover. I know that at least the area of the decals have clear coat on them and as of now I have not had problems with gas.

I second the thought of re-painting the actual tank onder the cover.
Cal, once again, I thank you for an excellent suggestion! I will definitely paint the scrap plastic, and expose it to gasoline, before I even consider painting the tank shroud! :idea:

I agree with DW and my good friend Andy in regards to painting the fuel tank orange; I think it is an excellent idea. Thank you for confirming their judgment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
…Spud, if you paint that plastic, it will lift the moment gas gets near it. Painting the tank to match the orange plastic does have a certain appeal.
Thank you for “thirding” the nomination to paint the fuel tank, WG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider
…I think I may be cutting my damn rear fender's now , no biggie repainting again. BIKE IS LOOKING GREAT SPUD :wink:...
Thank you for the kind words, DR.

You did a superb job repainting your entire Zong, including the tank shroud.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...=custom+sierra

I see from your thread that you used automotive paint (PPG) and clearcoat on the plastics. Have you had problems with gasoline damaging your tank shroud? Can you offer any suggestions for the proper way to paint my fuel tank orange? Is painting the plastic tank shroud with automotive paint a simpler option? :?:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #50

Quote:
...do you think now that you have no use for your kingston's I could buy them from you ? :mrgreen:
I am afraid that my Kingstone tires are all used up, DR. :(

I have discarded the Kingstone 100/90-18 front tire. However, the Shinko 244 in size 3.00-18 is far superior to the Kingstone front tire. Also, the Shinko 244 is much less expensive!

If you wish, read the following thread for the details regarding the photograph above.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ght=shinko+244

Below is a photograph of all the rear tires I have used on my Zong.

On the left is the stock Cheng Shin Barracuda. Next is a very worn Kingstone 130/90-15 tire. I currently have a Kenda K760 TrakMaster in size 100/100-18 mounted to the YamaZong’s rear wheel. I love this tire! On the right you see a Dunlop D752 tire in size 110/90-18. This tire came mounted to a Yamaha XT225 rear wheel I bought on eBay. I rode this tire for several thousand miles, and it was excellent. My good experience with the Dunlop D752 encouraged me to try the Kenda K760 TrakMaster. I have been very pleased with the Kenda K760.

As you can see, my Kingstone 130/90-15 tire is completely worn out. If it had a few miles left on the tread, I would gladly send it to you for the shipping costs. However, I don’t think I would send even my worst enemy riding on this tire in its present state of wear.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Thank you for the kind words, DR.

You did a superb job repainting your entire Zong, including the tank shroud.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...=custom+sierra

I see from your thread that you used automotive paint (PPG) and clearcoat on the plastics. Have you had problems with gasoline damaging your tank shroud? Can you offer any suggestions for the proper way to paint my fuel tank orange? Is painting the plastic tank shroud with automotive paint a simpler option? :?:

Spud
Thanks Spud, The way I painted my Zong is just like what you see on your car or truck BC/CC . Gas will do nothing at all and you can polish out scratches with a polisher., I have been in the auto paint industry most of my life, so I know a thing or two. Painting plastic can be a little tricky, mostly concerning adhesion. Here is a basic rundown

1. Thoroughly wash all parts that you are painting to get any contaminants/grease/oil/ect off with dish soap. I suggest this and not using ANY type of solvent degreaser or prep all. As these are made for metal and the plastic actually absorbs these substances.

2. Wet scuff light/med with " 3m Grey scuff pad" and Blend prep, making everything look dull and uniformed. DO NOT press hard, as this is plastic and you can end up making deep sand scratches that will show in the base.

3. Make sure all parts are VERY clean, dry, and lint free. Then apply 2 light coat's of "BullDog Adhesive Promoter" waiting 1-2 min in between coats --> http://www.finishingtouchinc.com/images/bulldog.jpg

4. Let adhesive promoter dry for 5 min and then apply 3 med/wet coats of a high build primer. let dry overnight

5. Now comes the sanding fun :roll: start out with 320 then 400 then 600, sanding smooth all the texture from the primer and imperfections in the plastic, Try to NOT sand through, as you will need to spot prime the areas if you sanded through, the goal of the primer is to make a barrier from the plastic and give something the BC to stick to.

6. after all is baby smooth, apply as many BC's (base coats) as necessary to archive the color desired. make sure your BC's are LIGHT coats, do not try to archive full color in 1-2-3 passes. Do as many as is needed, certain pigments are more opaque than others, so depending on the color it may take 4+ coats. Let the last coat of color sit for 30 minutes minimum and no longer than 24hr's.

7. Now comes the clear coat (CC), use a high solid clear that is compatible with the BC adding a slight amount of flex agent to the catalyzed clear. Now make your first coat light/med, wait a few minutes until tacky, then apply 2 WET (heavy) coat's making sure not to run it. Let dry overnight in the cleanest environment that you have.

Hope that helps you Spud, It is a pretty long process to make plastic look that of metal. It is also hard for me to write exactly what to do over the internet, there is so many variables. If a BC/CC paint job looks like to much, there is always the bomb can method (rattle can paint) it will look nothing near a BC/CC paint job nor will it be near as durable, and gas will smear it. But it is cheap, quick, and you can always touch it up if it gets damaged.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #52

Thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent, detailed response, DR. Your custom paint job is beautiful, and it reflects your professionalism. I fear I do not have the knowledge, experience, skill, and equipment to reproduce your results with automotive paint.

However, I know I can employ the “rattle can” method. Occasional “touch up” paint jobs would be pesky, but not too difficult to perform.

If I may ask, how difficult would it be to paint the Zong’s fuel tank orange? The finished product would resemble the retouched photograph below, which represents the visual transition from the plastic shroud to the fuel tank. Of course, I would paint the tank gloss orange; however, I cannot simulate the gloss orange paint with the graphics tools I have available to me.

If I were to pay a local professional to paint the fuel tank for me, can you estimate the approximate cost?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #53

I thought of another option. I could purchase a black tank shroud from Zongshen America, and trim it. :idea:

Of course, if I choose to paint the fuel tank, I can choose any color I want. Painting the rest of the Zong plastic, other than the fuel shroud, is a much easier task.

I must admit, I have always been partial to the red Zong.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-27-2009, 04:36 AM   #54

Weldangrind definitely has a good eye for esthetic detail. Removing the Zong tank graphics makes an enormous difference!

I believe that Weldangrind is also correct on another matter. It is time for me to thoroughly explore the aftermarket fuel tank options before I proceed with painting the YamaZong’s fuel tank. Therefore, the YamaZong will remain in its present condition until I decide either to go with an aftermarket fuel tank, or to paint the current fuel tank.

I believe my best chance for success is to choose the 4.1 gallon (it’s really a 3.5 gallon) Clarke fuel tank designed for the Yamaha XT225. I have experimented with the stock Yamaha XT225 fuel tank, and I believe I can make it fit the YamaZong with only slight modifications. If the Clarke fuel tanks fits, I will decide how it looks mated to the Zong’s plastics and saddle. I will then choose either to remain with the Clarke tank, or paint the Zong’s fuel tank. I will document my work with the Clarke fuel tank in another thread.

Therefore, I have a new question. What color should I order for the Clarke XT225 fuel tank?

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/in...oducts_id=1091

I believe my best choices are black, white, or natural/clear.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #55

My vote is for black.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #56

Personally I'd ask Desert Rider if he'd paint the parts for you. I bet he'd do a better job than an automotive paint shop. I'd also much rather pay him than Maaco.

BTW, Desert Rider, if you're interested I might ask if you could paint an old GS 750 that I've restored... 8)

Old 08-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I believe that Weldangrind is also correct on another matter. It is time for me to thoroughly explore the aftermarket fuel tank options before I proceed with painting the YamaZong’s fuel tank. Therefore, the YamaZong will remain in its present condition until I decide either to go with an aftermarket fuel tank, or to paint the current fuel tank.

I believe my best chance for success is to choose the 4.1 gallon (it’s really a 3.5 gallon) Clarke fuel tank designed for the Yamaha XT225. I have experimented with the stock Yamaha XT225 fuel tank, and I believe I can make it fit the YamaZong with only slight modifications. If the Clarke fuel tanks fits, I will decide how it looks mated to the Zong’s plastics and saddle. I will then choose either to remain with the Clarke tank, or paint the Zong’s fuel tank. I will document my work with the Clarke fuel tank in another thread.

Therefore, I have a new question. What color should I order for the Clarke XT225 fuel tank?

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/in...oducts_id=1091

I believe my best choices are black, white, or natural/clear.
Spud
That tank look's nice , I am interested to see it on. Look's like it will be a very easy install, do you think you will even need to modify anything? Also, just something to note, I would never advise you to paint that clarke tank. Any motorcycle tanks other than metal, actually very slightly expands and contracts in heat/cold and vapors are constantly being released through the polycarbonate plastic. I have seen many, many (to many ) people try and paint those, they always look good at first, but in a month or two no matter what you do it will be flaking off in chunks.

I looked at Clarke's website and it says you can order them in special color's as well at no extra charge, just no returning it if you do not like it, just thought I would mention this. link-->http://www.clarkemfg.com/faqs.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Personally I'd ask Desert Rider if he'd paint the parts for you. I bet he'd do a better job than an automotive paint shop. I'd also much rather pay him than Maaco.

BTW, Desert Rider, if you're interested I might ask if you could paint an old GS 750 that I've restored... 8)

WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT GO TO MACCO I have seen many car's painted by them, you will be sorry you ever went there, they only have a 6 month warranty on there paint job's, wonder why :roll: and it will cost you twice as much to fix their mess now 8O.

I would be more than happy to paint whatever you have. I have a lot going on right now though and am booked solid for qwite a'while right now. Maybe through this fall/winter ? Also, since we are close enough, I would prefer to ship nothing as thing's could get damaged. PM me to discuss this further if you are interested.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #58

Quote:
...WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT GO TO MACCO I have seen many car's painted by them, you will be sorry you ever went there, they only have a 6 month warranty on there paint job's, wonder why :roll: and it will cost you twice as much to fix their mess now 8O...
Rest assured, I was not going to Maaco.
Quote:
...I would be more than happy to paint whatever you have. I have a lot going on right now though and am booked solid for qwite a'while right now. Maybe through this fall/winter ? Also, since we are close enough, I would prefer to ship nothing as thing's could get damaged. PM me to discuss this further if you are interested.
Thank you, DR. I cannot think of anyone else I would prefer to paint my Zong fuel tank; your craftsmanship is superb.

I am going to order the Clarke tank very soon. Please help me to select the correct color. The following thread at the XT225 forum shows the Clarke fuel tank mounted in a variety of colors. I tried to copy the photos, but was unsuccessful. Please give me your opinions regarding the black, white, and clear tanks shown on pages 5 & 6 of this thread.

http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthrea...r=50112&page=5

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #59

Thanks DR.

It's a '78 GS 750 I restored for my friend to ride when he is out here visiting me every year. We usually ride about 2,000 miles on a 7-10 day trip and then she goes abck into storage waiting for next year. I could remove the tank and side panels and bring them to you. We leave in about 3 weeks for Moab, so we can do it over the winter or later this fall.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #60

Quote:
…That tank look's nice , I am interested to see it on. Look's like it will be a very easy install, do you think you will even need to modify anything?…
Well, I hope it will be an easy install. I will need to modify the Zong’s rubber fuel tank bumpers, and extend the metal mounting plate provided by Clarke. I definitely will not modify the fuel tank in any way. If I don’t like the results, and the tank is unmodified, I can return the tank for a refund. My main concern is esthetics; I want the Clarke tank to merge properly with the Zong seat and side plastics.
Quote:
…Also, just something to note, I would never advise you to paint that clarke tank. Any motorcycle tanks other than metal, actually very slightly expands and contracts in heat/cold and vapors are constantly being released through the polycarbonate plastic. I have seen many, many (to many ) people try and paint those, they always look good at first, but in a month or two no matter what you do it will be flaking off in chunks…
Duly noted, DR. I do not plan to paint the Clarke fuel tank; therefore, I wish to purchase the proper color at the beginning.
Quote:
…I looked at Clarke's website and it says you can order them in special color's as well at no extra charge, just no returning it if you do not like it, just thought I would mention this. link-->http://www.clarkemfg.com/faqs.htm…
Thank you for the great tip! However, I might return the fuel tank, and I think they will not accept orange as a standard color for a Yamaha. Also, I doubt they would come up with a good match for the Zong orange.
Quote:
…I would be more than happy to paint whatever you have. I have a lot going on right now though and am booked solid for qwite a'while right now. Maybe through this fall/winter ? Also, since we are close enough, I would prefer to ship nothing as thing's could get damaged. PM me to discuss this further if you are interested.
I’m sorry. I can now see you were responding to Doc’s inquiry. If you are not too busy this Fall/Winter, would you consider painting my Zong fuel tank orange? I know you would do a superb job. If the fuel tank is cushioned in bubble wrap, I think it could make the trip from the Tri-Cities to Eastern Idaho without damage.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220