Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Which Zong tank plastic do you prefer?
Factory Tank Plastic 26 47.27%
3-Fin Tank Plastic Mod 2 3.64%
2-Fin Tank Plastic Mod 2 3.64%
No-Fin Tank Plastic Mod 5 9.09%
Clarke 4.1 Gallon Fuel Tank 20 36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #76

Cant wait to see this Spud, should change the look yet again!!! I am VERY glad I bought this Zong as well, compared to any other "china" bike I have seen on this forum, there is a HUGE range of option's/mod's compared to the others.

I think we should make a stickie just for the Zong's. As with time, many post's fade to the back and are forgotten of all the things people have done. Also, seems confusing for some new people as they get the bike's mixed up a lot. This current sticky -->http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=7782 is not really up to date, does not have even half of the things people have done to the zong, and again mix's all the bikes up. What do you think ?

(Side note again :oops: trying not to clutter this thread up)

Check these aluminum skid plates out, look's like the tw200 one will work :mrgreen: . Those little L bracket's are included in the skid to convert that as an attachment point and make it stronger than the single bolt that is used on the OEM (same as our zong)

http://utahsportcycle.com/store/tw200pic.htm

http://69.94.125.252/store/page20.html

Old 08-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider
... I think we should make a stickie just for the Zong's. As with time, many post's fade to the back and are forgotten of all the things people have done. Also, seems confusing for some new people as they get the bike's mixed up a lot. This current sticky -->http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=7782 is not really up to date, does not have even half of the things people have done to the zong, and again mix's all the bikes up. What do you think ?...
The stickies in the Dual Sport Forum took up a lot of space, and were quite messy, before Jim combined them. He has done a very nice job cleaning things up.

However, I think you make a very good suggestion. I would be happy to maintain a "Zong Sticky." I will ask Frostbite what he thinks of the idea.

P.S. I have received a UPS tracking number; the Clarke fuel tank has been shipped.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #78

Quote:
...I think we should make a stickie just for the Zong's. As with time, many post's fade to the back and are forgotten of all the things people have done. Also, seems confusing for some new people as they get the bike's mixed up a lot. This current sticky -->http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=7782 is not really up to date, does not have even half of the things people have done to the zong, and again mix's all the bikes up. What do you think ?...
I got the OK from Frostbite, so I created the Zong sticky in the Dual Sport Forum. I will be adding more topics in the next few days; however, the weather is beautiful, so I am going out riding right now!
Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #79

My Clarke fuel tank is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. However, I believe AZ had an excellent idea when he suggested less drastic cuts to the Zong tank plastic. Therefore, as I await the arrival of the Clarke fuel tank, I have assembled the best options available for the Zong fuel tank plastic.

Here is a photo of the Zong with the stock tank plastic.

Here is a retouched photo showing some easy sections which would accomplish AZ’s suggestion to make less drastic cuts.

Finally, here is a retouched photo showing the most drastic cuts to the tank plastic. These cuts would also include repainting the fuel tank orange.

If the Clarke fuel tank doesn’t work out, which of the above options do you prefer?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #80

I like the tank repaint option, particularly if it is a flat orange, which emulates the plastic.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #81

not to get off subject at hand but, i think the sticky zongshen mod list is excellent. it should be very informative to new forum members. i tend to miss viewing for a few days and sometimes amazed at how much stuff has been discussed and questions been answered.
:o shawn

Old 09-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #82

Why are you looking for an alternative ? That Clarke tank is GOING to fit !!! (be optimistic :mrgreen: ) and look sweet. :wink: But, if for some reason it does not, my vote is for #2

(I also got my rear fenders cut this weekend :twisted: turned out perfect )

Old 09-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #83

I havent looked at the fitment of the tank on my bike, but I wonder if the Clarke tank might be a fit for the generic GY-2's? Granted, the Zong is a very close copy of the Yamaha's as Spud as shown. The GY-2's sem to have a Honda heritage but not so sure when it comes to the tank.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:29 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I like the tank repaint option, particularly if it is a flat orange, which emulates the plastic.
I think you're correct, WG. If the Clarke fuel tank doesn't work out, my Zong will resemble the retouched photo below.

However, I could also convert the entire bike to a Honda red color.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-02-2009, 04:34 AM   #85

Quote:
Why are you looking for an alternative ? That Clarke tank is GOING to fit !!! (be optimistic :mrgreen: ) and look sweet. :wink:...
I will soon find out, DR. The tank is scheduled to arrive on September 2. Needless to say, I will test the fitment very soon after it arrives.
Quote:
...(I also got my rear fenders cut this weekend :twisted: turned out perfect )
Excellent! If you get the chance, please post some photos.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #86

It's the 3rd Spud, what's up ?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #87

Yeah, whats up? You usually work so fast I was expecting you to have pictures of the finished product the day before the tank arrived.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #88

No kidding! I couldn't sleep last night; I kept thinking about this tank thread!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #89

The Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 is basically a copy of the Yamaha TW200 motorcycle; therefore, the Zong somewhat copies the TW200 frame. The Yamaha XT225 employs the same engine block as the Yamaha TW200; therefore, many XT225 parts can be substituted on the Zong. For example, the Yamaha XT225 exhaust header conforms to the shape of the TW200 engine block; therefore, it will fit the Zong. The swingarms of both the TW200 and XT225 motorcycles mount around the rear of the same engine block. Therefore, if a 1-inch spacer is used on the left side, the XT225 swingarm will mount solidly to the Zong frame.

The Zong frame is by no means an exact copy of the TW200 frame; however, the Zong frame is very similar to the TW200 frame from the area housing the motorcycle’s airbox, forward. Moving aft, the Zong frame deviates quite a bit from the TW200 frame.

The Yamaha XT225 frame is narrower than the TW200 frame. Also, the XT225 frame is inclined at a steeper angle, forward to the bike’s handlebars.

Nobody manufactures an aftermarket fuel tank for the Yamaha TW200. Therefore, many TW200 owners have adapted other fuel tanks, or they have fabricated their own, larger fuel tanks. The T-dub owners have written many threads on this subject at the TW200 forum. Below is a link to a thread which compiles their many efforts.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/52354/ShowPost.aspx

If you read a few of the T-dub owner’s experiments, you soon discover that trying to fit a fuel tank designed for another motorcycle can present many difficulties. First, the motorcycle’s seat must conform to the shape of the different fuel tank.

I am pleased to report that the Zong seat conforms quite well to the shape of the Clarke fuel tank.

Also, the new fuel tank must not restrict the full movement of the motorcycle’s handlebars. Once again, I am happy to report the Clarke fuel tank meets this critical requirement.

Now, however, I must report the Clarke fuel tank’s shortcomings. :(

The new fuel tank must fit around the motorcycle’s frame, accomodating the bike’s wires, cables, ignition coil, engine block, et cetera. The new tank must also mount solidly to both the front and rear of the motorcycle’s frame. The Clarke fuel tank meets almost all these requirements; however, it does rub the Zong’s engine at one point. If I choose to mount the Clarke tank, I will need to shave a bit of material from the upper right side of the Zong’s timing chain cover.

The Zong has a lot of excess aluminum in this area, and I could remove quite a bit without harming the engine. The photo below shows the one area where the Clarke tank rubs the Zong’s engine.

Finally, the aftermarket fuel tank must mate to the side plastic on the motorcycle. The Clarke tank comes close; however, quite naturally, it is not a perfect fit.

However, I can modify the metal mounting tabs for the Zong’s side plastic. It would be any easy job to cut them, and weld them nearer to the bike’s centerline.

I could then add an extender to the side plastic. Perhaps I could employ a small piece of the present fuel tank plastic to accomplish this task.

Fitting this fuel tank to the Zong requires far fewer modification than any of the options tried by the Yamaha TW200 owners. Also, the Clarke tank would almost double my Zong’s fuel capacity!

What do you think? Should I keep the Clarke tank, or send it back? Do you have any other suggestions for making the tank fit better? I appreciate your constructive input.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #90

If you can obtain proper clearance with the motor, I would call it done. The issue with the side panels would not be an issue with me.

The tank looks great, has lots more capacity.