Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2018, 09:01 AM   #1

Angry Is the Hawk Chinese Junk After all?

So I have a Magician, not a Hawk. But the engines are essentially the same.

I took it on a 100 mile ride and the little thing rattles so much at high speed the exhaust stud broke off, leaving half of the shaft in the head.

Now if the metal is that soft, should we not be concerned about all the internal bits, gaskets, and everything else? I thought these were for 3rd world countries but it can't take paved roads?

Anywho the bike is 6 months old and the engine is under warranty with TX Powesports. Do I have any chance of them honoring a warranty claim?

Old 11-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #2

The reason it vibrates and rattles is because the engine isn't in a good state of tune. If the carb hasn't been tuned, it causes excess exhaust heat which can cause the header studs to overheat and become brittle. It is a common theme, even on the Hawks and other bikes with the same engine. With the engine being out of tune, I would be concerned about the exhaust valve dropping it's head into the cylinder and wrecking the engine. That's another common thing I have seen around the internets. This stuff is why a lot of members completely rework their bikes before they even ride them. The manufacturers make them lean to get them here. The owners tune them to get the reliability and power back.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
The reason it vibrates and rattles is because the engine isn't in a good state of tune. If the carb hasn't been tuned, it causes excess exhaust heat which can cause the header studs to overheat and become brittle. It is a common theme, even on the Hawks and other bikes with the same engine. With the engine being out of tune, I would be concerned about the exhaust valve dropping it's head into the cylinder and wrecking the engine. That's another common thing I have seen around the internets. This stuff is why a lot of members completely rework their bikes before they even ride them. The manufacturers make them lean to get them here. The owners tune them to get the reliability and power back.
What he said ^^^^ I have over 4500 miles on my Hawk. Before tuning and broke in the engine ran rough. After tuning and some miles on it she runs smooth. Never had a bolt break so far.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #4

I have spent DAYS dialing this engine in. Multiple Jet swaps to get the plug looking just right, and of course adjusted the valves when I got it and at 500 miles.

I have had multiple screws crack on this bike, not just ones contacting heat. I'm worried the frame will be next.

Again, I don't ride off-road, the bike rattles at high speed not due to carb adjustments, but because it uses old, unbalanced engine technology.

That being said I have a Magician, maybe everything on it is a step below the Hawk in quality? I doubt it. I want to believe in Chinese bikes but I think it would be unwise to not acknowledge potentially massive QC engine failures even on a perfectly maintained machine.

Am I totally wrong?

Old 11-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #5

The engines are the same and the Hawk engine and seem to be a solid build. As far as frame quality, from what some other Magician owners have posted the frame quality is not quite up to par and have failed.
Check your engine mount bolts to make sure they are torqued down and that none of the mounting brackets are broke or cracked.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 11-14-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #6

^^^
They are right !!! The exhaust studs fracture because they heat cycle too many times so You'll have to dump the cat. You really need to port the head. The factory carb can't be tuned finally enough with the jet selection so it's got to go, buy a replacement. Parts are laughable cheap. I paid more for a single brake lever 20yrs ago the the Whole assembly costs now.
My bro is fixing his 96 XR, just to marginally run he's 1-1/2 the cost of my hawk.... To trail ride.

Some of the hardware can and needs to be upgraded. Hey it's a bike built almost entirely of aftermarket sub components. So if you find shortcomings fix it.

If you want plug-and-play plop the cash down and buy a Jap bike. OR save 4K-6k and wrench it your self. When your done you will know the bike well. What better to do in the winter break.

Searously port the head and dump the cat.
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 11-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #7

I got a magician from the most positive-reviewed RPS dealer(Q9Powersports) two months ago and it's still sitting because they sent me a used one with a damaged engine.. They out right refused to replace the engine or any of the parts.. No mechanic from shady craigslist services to high end dealerships will touch it for any amount of money....... If you try any legal move on them you'll end up filing against a Chinese company and it'll never go anywhere..

Tip: Don't get it thinking you'll get years out of it without replacing primary parts and don't try to commute with it without a budget to fill TXPowersports pockets for prices that are a large fraction of what you paid for the whole bike.. This is why all the dealers keep playing shadow games with their names, so they can out run bad reputations from not doing warranty claims and even sending DOA products..

Old 11-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #8

Are they junk, Yes! but by what standard?

My opinion is they are not well engineered, and have many shortcuts, compromises in the design. My buddy bought a Magician for his girl to cruise around on. Its fine for that. I was surprised to see the lower cradle unbolts from the frame. Again its fine for. beginner to cruise the trails on. Better than a grown up learning on a pitbike in my opinion as it fits her frame.

If you follow my posts you will see what has to be done to make a hawk into a bike that can take whatever abuse I dish out.

I a nutshell.. The frame isnt bad, infact surprisingly strong.

No excuses for the bike. except for well it was cheap after all.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #9

By Shenzhen standards they are above average. I've been getting Chinese stuff since it first hit the South East in the early two-thousands, and the RPS dual sports are no worse than the best GY6 scooter I ever had..

Just don't try to use it like you would a Japanese or EU bike for things like commutes..

We should still hold both dealers and RPS to their warranty selling points though.. Going through a batch of bad $500.00 engines will put you past the cost of a good Japanese dual sport in a very short time.. You're not even suppose to have to buy one a warranty is in the cost at all dealers..

Old 11-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
*snip*

Just don't try to use it like you would a Japanese or EU bike for things like commutes..

*snip*
i disagree... i commuted all summer 70mi a day on my Roketa....its essentially the same bike as a hawk/magician/etc... put almost 7000 miles on it.... had a few bolts back out (no biggie, im a mechanic and have craploads of spares) worst i had happen was i tossed a masterlink on the chain... my fault for letting the chain get too loose though... popped off the rear sprocket, shed the lock clip against the swingarm and launched it who know where.... LOL now i carry 3 masterlinks in my backpack when i ride... LOL live and learn...

Old 11-13-2018, 09:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisbm2 View Post
So I have a Magician, not a Hawk. But the engines are essentially the same.

I took it on a 100 mile ride and the little thing rattles so much at high speed the exhaust stud broke off, leaving half of the shaft in the head.

Now if the metal is that soft, should we not be concerned about all the internal bits, gaskets, and everything else? I thought these were for 3rd world countries but it can't take paved roads?

Anywho the bike is 6 months old and the engine is under warranty with TX Powesports. Do I have any chance of them honoring a warranty claim?
Well I was asking my Chongqing wholesaler about Bashan and the Hawk/Brazilian off road bikes and he said the quality is poor.

Most of the bikes exported that are not sold in China are, I live in China and see loads of Ok/decent and junk stuff

Old 11-13-2018, 10:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
I commuted to school and work everyday with no problems. Unfortunately it's too cold for my liking now. But if you take care of your bike, it will bring you plenty of joy. Working on my bike is a past time that relaxes me.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:00 PM   #13

I sheared off one of my exhaust studs too, it was the best thing that could happen.
I bought a head from CSC motorcycles for a TT250 which flows MUCH better.
I swapped over the the stock valves with 1200 miles on them, reground them......and it runs like a scolded chimp now.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:10 PM   #14

Bought a used 2009 TMEC enduro in November 2012. Commuted on it daily, year round 33 miles a day until I bought a new TMEC 200 enduro in the spring of 2014. Commuted on it M-F 33 miles a day in the hot spring of southern AZ, through the harsh, hot summer of southern AZ, into fall until a lady ran me off the road into a curb on a two lane left turn. I was in the outer lane, she was in the inner lane--green arrow for us, she turned, and changed lanes, wrecking the bike. Banged parts back into place, and after two months of nursing myself back to health (I worked in a prison as a teacher, and prison rules do not allow one to work with broken bones) continued riding the battered bike daily. I put on 6000 miles a year, so got about 12000 miles out of the new bike, most of them after the accident. Heck, I still have that bike, but minus the wheels/tires, lol. Free for the taking, BTW, but you have to go to Yuma to pick it up--I am not shipping it...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #15

The exhaust studs should be reset after a number of heat cycles when the bikes are new....and don't bear down on them. They just need to be snug and seated evenly.

I've had a number of CB's over the years and have had great service out of every one of them. "Junk" is a relative term.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Tags
exhaust, hawk, stud, warranty