Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #1

Can a bike be cursed?

I sold the Zong 2 days ago. I just got a call from the new owner. He let his cousin ride it to his house THE DAY IT WAS BOUGHT and he wrecked it 8O . 'Laid it down', a euphemism of course for crashing. Overcooked a turn and lowsided. Kid broke his wrist in two places, scraped up my ex-beautifully prepared Zong. Same side that was damaged from when I got hit. Needs a new side panel (I'll put kid in touch with Phil), and handlebars again.

Recall I'd only had the bike a day before I was creamed. :(

Old 01-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #2

Sure sounds like a curse to me! Maybe a good thing you sold it doc! Though it wasn't the cellphone teen girl demon's this time...

Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #3

Just a kid who can't ride. I don't think he has an endorsement even. Thank goodness I threw in a couple of good older helmets because he was wearing one when he crashed.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #4

Re: Can a bike be cursed?

I'm curious as to why the guy called to tell you about the crash. Is he a friend?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #5

I don't think your former Zong is cursed, Doc. DesertRider rode it safely for almost 1,000 miles before he sold it to you. The young man who bought your Zong needs to take a motorcycle rider safety course. He is very fortunate he bought a 200cc motorcycle, instead of a larger one, or he might have gotten into even more trouble!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #6

No... I'm sure it's cursed... I think an exorcism is in order! Send it to me and I will chase the demons away (as long as I get to keep the Zong!)

Old 01-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
No... I'm sure it's cursed... I think an exorcism is in order! Send it to me and I will chase the demons away (as long as I get to keep the Zong!)
You are a kind, and brave man, MIC.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #8

Not a friend, I was just nice to him. He wanted to know where to get a replacement side panel so I referred him to Phil.

Damage sounds minor and cosmetic, but I guess he'll have to get it checked out. I pointed him to a friend with a motorcycle shop/Q Link dealership. I can help him with the simple stuff if needed. 8)

This IS an excellent example of why it's a good idea to start out on a modestly powered bike. A high performance machine might have killed him. 8O

I do a lot of motorcycle trading. I've restored/repaired/sold about 7 bikes in the past year. Except for the Ninja 250, none have been high performance machines. The Ninja I sold to an experienced expert rider.

I will be sure to know a rider's skills, at least a kid, if I ever sell another high performance bike.

Still sucks.

Also, FWIW, recall the buyer of the bike did not eat it, it was his cousin.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:45 AM   #9

I definitely suggest a riding course for him...

I started out on an 800cc cruiser... But I wouldn't ride it until I took my motorcycle course.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #10

A high performance machine might have killed him.

This is the reason for "graduated motorcycle licenses". (we see guys posting from England/Europe with 125cc bikes we don't see here)

When I lived in S. Ontario (Canada), over the course of a summer, (any summer) there used to be at least 20 young fellas do themselves in, on powerful bikes, owned less than 2 weeks.

Just this last summer, in NB, there was a semi famous sports guy (of some kind) did himself in on the way home from buying a R6 Yamaha, fresh from the dealer.

*Thinking back* a lot of old guys learned on bikes that nobody is interested in buying/owning today. My first was a Honda 50 "step-thru" that I paid $35 for.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #11

First bike I rode was a Honda 400 Hawk twin. Nice bike. It was a friend's. I rode it about 300 miles and the addiction was severe. Bought and restored a 1980 GS 1100E Suzuki, an early twin cam 16 valve 100 HP Superbike. Rode that bike 55,000 miles without a scratch, then sold it to a friend who rode the odometer up to 100,000 miles when I lost touch with him. I hope both of them are still going strong.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
First bike I rode was a Honda 400 Hawk twin. Nice bike. It was a friend's. I rode it about 300 miles and the addiction was severe. Bought and restored a 1980 GS 1100E Suzuki, an early twin cam 16 valve 100 HP Superbike. Rode that bike 55,000 miles without a scratch, then sold it to a friend who rode the odometer up to 100,000 miles when I lost touch with him. I hope both of them are still going strong.
Brother Bill, we do have a lot in common. My first motorcycle was a 1979 Honda Hawk II. I had a lot of fun on that motorcycle.

I believe everyone who rides on the street should take a motorcycle rider safety course, and start out with a small displacment motorcycle.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #13

That's the bike, Spud! Mine was blue.

I'm leaning towards favoring a tiered system myself.

The problem with that though is:

-Falling off a 200cc bike at 65 feels the same as falling off a high performance bike at 65.

-In America I believe people have a right to do stupid things that can get themselves killed as long as it does not directly harm others. Consider flying, rock or mountain climbing, or consuming mass quantities of cheeseburgers.

-A high performance bike only goes as fast as you twist the throttle. It is capable of simulating the performance of a 200.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #14

Quote:
-In America I believe people have a right to do stupid things that can get themselves killed as long as it does not directly harm others. Consider flying, rock or mountain climbing, or consuming mass quantities of cheeseburgers.

-A high performance bike only goes as fast as you twist the throttle. It is capable of simulating the performance of a 200.
Amen, brother Bill. I would never force anyone to follow my recommendation; I believe it is not the government's right to do so. However, I would strongly encourage all riders to follow my suggestion.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:

Amen, brother Bill. I would never force anyone to follow my recommendation; I believe it is not the government's right to do so. However, I would strongly encourage all riders to follow my suggestion.

Spud
Again, we agree!

To take it one srep further, if I was selling another high performance machine, I'd want to sell it only to an expert rider with years of experiance. I'd feel bad, but not responsible, if I sold, say, a GSXR to this kid and he brained himself at 120 MPH on the way home.

At least I threw in a couple of high quality helmets. That might have saved his life.