Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2019, 04:47 AM   #1

APV area, southeastern Ohio

Proof that the government can screw up anything. When I was a kid (30yrs ago) we had this magical place to ride that was only 18 miles away. It was all reclaimed strip mining land that couldn't be used for anything else. Miles and miles of trails with 5 big "bowls" that each had atleast 5 hill climbs that defied gravity.

During the summer months we would load 3 bikes in the back of the old Chevy with a tent and several cans of 2-stroke mix. And ofcourse a basic tool box, some spare inner tubes and a week's supply of hotdogs and beer. We would camp and ride the whole week and never see a soul or DNR officer until the weekend. It was pure bliss.

Jump forward 30yrs and now you have to have an APV license plate on your bike, AND a Wayne National Forest sticker and the bike must be titled. All the trails are manicured 5 feet wide and you cannot deviate from them, and all the aforementioned hills are now off limits.

The place is heavily patrolled by DNR officers and they can fine or arrest you for for almost any infraction. You are subject to search and seizure at any time, no alcoholic beverages or drug paraphernalia, your exhaust system must be forestry approved and subject to decibel level testing, and you can be cited for reckless operation (riding a wheelie) or causing unnecessary land erosion (spinning the wheels unnecessarily). And you can even be cited and fined for having a non EPA approved gas can.

WTF? The last time I rode out there was with my buddy Tim Bobb and I had to ride one of his utility bikes because mine wasn't approved, and we were stopped and harrassed 3 times in 2 days by DNR officers trying to generate some revenue. I'm not going back and I encourage others to do the same.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 10-04-2019, 07:57 AM   #2

Sounds like they took all the fun out of it. Walmart parking lot would be more fun. lol Over here the Corp of Engineers set up a ATV and Dirt Bike Area in the Bonnet Carre Spillway. Rules aren't quite so strict. Basic smart and good rules. Must wear a helmet, 5mph in the parking lot, and no one under 18 can ride with out a parent or guardian. No Alcohol for sure which is probably a good thing. If they see someone acting the dumba$$ they will stop and ask you once to drive with common since. Second time your out. Most people out there are parents with kids so on the most part the ranger and deputy have an easy job. They finally reopened the ATV area last weekend after being closed since January. I spoke to the ranger a few weeks ago and told me they had major repairs they had to make to trails and replacing of culverts. Hopefully by next weekend we'll be able to make a trip.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 10-04-2019 at 10:51 AM.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:55 AM   #3

I agree with Jerry that no alcohol is probably a good thing, except when riding is over for the day. I'm also in favour of USFS-approved spark arrestors, but that's mainly for two strokes. A two stroke has a tendency to let chunks of flaming carbon go out of an unrestricted can.
The libertarian in me hates to see the erosion of our fun riding spots, but I can see the need for some rules; there are just some people who will wreck it for everyone else. To me, there is a balance somewhere between complete freedom and a nanny state mentality.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #4

I understand erosion, alcohol, and spark arrestor rules, but they have clearly turned this into a Nazi regime.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #5

Sorry, I wasn't clear. When I said the libertarian in me hates to see the erosion of our fun riding spots, I didn't mean erosion of the Earth. I meant that our riding spots are disappearing due to legislation.
I'd like to see a balance where there are suitable rules to keep it safe for everyone, yet enough freedom to keep it fun for everyone.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #6

Weld I figured that's what you meant.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #7

Sandlake in Oregon has really got it right. Ride / drive anything you want on the sand, as long as it has a decal; the cost is $12.00 for 24 months. If you're under 16, you must wear a helmet. No alcohol allowed in the riding area. Quiet time is between midnight and 6:00am, so you'll have to ride outside of that six hour period. I love that place. You can park your camping trailer there and ride right to your trailer (It think the camping fee is $20 per night).

Old 10-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #8

We have some pretty amazing trails right behind my house. The front half of the property is owned by my neighbor Ronald, he's big daddy on the hill and if you're a friend and neighbor you're allowed to ride back there.

The third quarter of it is owned by a hunting club and they don't want you on their section about a month before deer season or till the season is over, but they don't care the rest of the year because it keeps their trails open.

The back quarter however has recently been purchased by someone that lives a couple hours away. He doesn't want any motorized vehicles on his portion but we're allowed to ride our horses on it. As far as erosion I thought quads were bad, but they don't do near the damage a side x side does.