Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2023, 09:22 AM   #1

Trailmaster TM35

Hello... New here.

I have a 2023 Trailmaster TM 35 coming in a week or so which has a YS - CB250F 5SPD motor and I am just wondering if anyone here has one and if anyone has done modifications to it.

I am curious if the stock carburetor is decent, or should I go ahead and order one now. And if so, would a 28 mm be adequate or should I opt for a 30 mm. According to the website, it comes with a PE 28 carb from the factory. I have experience using Mikuni carbs only, but it seems here that a Nibbi carbs are a favorite. Any opinions on that are welcome.

Secondly, does anyone have a recommendation for an exhaust for this or is the exhaust already decent to begin with?

Thanks for any interest shown in my questions, and I'm open to whatever suggestions you guys may have.

Thanks,

Jason

Old 05-15-2023, 10:00 AM   #2

Welcome aboard! Ride it as is and give it time to break in before doing any mods. Being that it comes with a the Nibbi it might already be tuned.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-15-2023, 01:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraverseBay View Post
Hello... New here.

I have a 2023 Trailmaster TM 35 coming in a week or so which has a YS - CB250F 5SPD motor and I am just wondering if anyone here has one and if anyone has done modifications to it.

I am curious if the stock carburetor is decent, or should I go ahead and order one now. And if so, would a 28 mm be adequate or should I opt for a 30 mm. According to the website, it comes with a PE 28 carb from the factory. I have experience using Mikuni carbs only, but it seems here that a Nibbi carbs are a favorite. Any opinions on that are welcome.

Secondly, does anyone have a recommendation for an exhaust for this or is the exhaust already decent to begin with?

Thanks for any interest shown in my questions, and I'm open to whatever suggestions you guys may have.

Thanks,

Jason
Welcome Jason. I'm pretty sure that the TM35 is very similar to the Templar 250. The Carb is fine except that you need to remove a plug that hides the idle mixture screw and either slot the bolt heads or grind them off to remove the float bowl to rejet. I chose to grind the heads off and buy replacement SS allen bolts from my local hardware store.

As for the exhaust, I am not aware of a direct replacement performance pipe. The best option seems to be to decat the oem pipe. GL

Last edited by Fast_Freddy; 05-30-2023 at 11:36 PM.

Old 05-30-2023, 04:11 PM   #4

Thanks. I got the bike and rode it for the first time today after going through the install process. I put a Nibbi 28mm carb with a 42 pilot and 112 main. So far so good with the pilot, I breaking it in so time will tell if the main is good.

The spark plug looks nice and tan and throttle response is good, so I'm thinking the pilot jet of 42 is a good size.

The motor is the same as the Templar Pro , a ZS172FMM -3A
Once I break in a little bit more I'll be able to test and see if 112 is a good mean or not. Anyone running this carb set up on this motor, what are you running for your main jet?

I do have a question about setting valve clearances on this motor. I have experiences with the smaller YX piranha motors, but this is completely different. A write-up or video on how exactly to get in there and do the valves on this motor would be super helpful. It seems like there's not a lot of space to work in.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.

Jason

Old 05-30-2023, 11:35 PM   #5

If you ride in Denver, CO that 112 main jet may not be too lean. Stock is 120, many of us are running 125 and I know a few running 130-140. I'm at ~300 ASL, most are between 100-2000' ASL. Thumper did a nice valve DIY guide you can find here. I recommend removing the seat and gas tank for easier access.

Old 05-31-2023, 09:17 AM   #6

Great. Thanks for that info and link, that is exactly what I as looking for.

I am about it 600' ASL in Northern Michigan so I looks like I may have to increase jetting soon.