Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2022, 12:13 AM   #1

X-pro Titan 250 upgrades

What is everyone favorite mods that you have done to your Titan? I'm really looking at suspension upgrades first, especially the rear shock. At 230lbs I am well beyond it's preferred weight range.

So far I have on my list of things to do:
Ditch the egr system (need blanking plate)
Replace spark plug
Sort out the stock pv30 carb if I can, replace if I can not.
Bypass front brake lever E-start interlock
Find 4 degree advance key and install

Old 04-10-2022, 06:43 PM   #2

I ran the bike in a harescamble race the other day in stock form to see it's strengths and weaknesses. It did pretty good all things considered but I can certainly find some room for improvement.
One issue that got me early on was a carburetor problem. It was bogging all over. I briefly remember reading on here that someone found the gas tank vent check valve to be installed wrong so I just pulled it off on a straight section of the track and the bike ran well after that. So I guess getting rid of that check valve is an upgrade.
I stalled the bike a few times in the worst possible places and being forced to hold the front brake to start the bike was getting old fast so at the first time stop I ripped the wires out and tied them together. Problem solved but it's not a very clean way of doing it since the brake light will always be on but for now it's good enough. I will dig into the wiring and fix it correctly next time I pull the bike apart.
The forks are constantly bottoming out so this week's task is to pull them apart and see what I can do. I need to get the measurements of the springs so I can get some stiffer replacements and I will probably make some preload shims. Fork oil change and fill level adjustments will be made as well. I'm going to start with 10w oil and see how it goes.
The tires are really showing there issues too. They are far too hard and slippery. I'm going to toss on some spares I have from another bike. That should fix alot of problems.
I also cut down the handlebars to a more Enduro friendly 31". I would have cut more off but there isn't enough room to fit the controls on if it's any shorter.
More bolts have rattled out during the day too. I've found that the nylock nuts that come supplied with the bike barely work and eventually back off. I bought some quality replacements and will be swapping them all out

Old 04-11-2022, 09:13 PM   #3

Today was suspension day. I had some spare time and after the adventures of yesterday I knew the suspension was my biggest problem.
The rear shock is hopeless for me. At 230lbs I'm just too much for it. I've got the preload set to about 3 inches of sag and that's all I can do. It bottoms out pretty regularly, certainly with any bit of a jump, no matter how small. I'm looking for a direct replacement now and have high hopes for an older ktm 250 unit.
The front is a bit better and I think it's something I can work with. First thing I did was dump the old oil out and get a proper measurement. Both sides were dead on 200ml. I suspect the grade is either 7.5 or maybe 10. I refilled it with belray 10 weight @210ml and took measurements while I was there for new springs and custom preload spacers.
The results with the front were great compared to the old set up. I still bottom out but it isn't as severe or as frequent. The front end gives better feedback and is much much smoother. I think some preload spacers will really help while I hunt down springs.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:59 PM   #4

Any updates? I have a Titan and am a newbie to dirt bikes. Looking to follow Your steps to improve this bike.

Old 07-25-2022, 09:13 PM   #5

I haven't done anything to the bike recently but that's changing this week. I took it to a private motocross track and really gave it a work out. The suspension is absolutely in need of help beyond what I have already done so I'm going to try to figure something out. The fronts need springs at the very least and the rear needs replacing.
I pulled the egr off the bike today at the track but didn't adjust the carb. The airbox tube had melted at some point so it was causing all sorts of havok and pulling the whole thing off was the only thing I could do to get the bike running better. I had planned on changing jets at some point and that time has come.
My electric start isn't working anymore either. It just makes a spinning noise so that needs looking into.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:14 PM   #6

So I messed about with the stock carb today. It's factory sealed to prevent tampering but all is easy to bypass. It's not the easiest to get out but it's doable with a little wiggling with the exhaust still in place.
The idle adjust is covered by a brass tube with a little rubber plug. You can either grab the tube with grips and simply twist it off or use a little pick to get the plug out. I did both and ending up putting the tube back on and using the rubber plug access to make adjustments to the idle. I figured the cover was a good precaution to prevent the screw from backing out. I did raise the idle just a tad.

The mixture screw is covered by a brass plug under the carb. I drilled a small hole in it then used a tapered screw to grab the inside of the hole and grabbed that with grips and just pulled it out. The factory setting was 2.5 turns out which is already an indication the pilot jet is too lean.
The bowl is held on by breakaway safety screws with no means visible of loosening them via tools. I just used grips to slowly unscrewed them by grabbing the sides of the screw. You could also Dremel a cut into them and use a flathead.

The stock jetting on mine was 102 main and 37 pilot. They were Keihin threaded. I had a lot of main jets available so popped a 112 in just to see how it did. I didn't have any pilot jets at hand but it needs a bigger one. At least a 40 or 42. I have loads of popping on decel still.
The needle is not adjustable via circlips so ordered a few shims to get the needle up a little. I'm not even sure it needs it but it was cheap enough to get a couple.

The bike runs much much better with the 112 jet. It can probably go bigger which I am planning on doing once I get my pilot jets in. Picked up about 5 miles an hour on the top end and the motor just hits harder all around. I'm gonna say this is probably the first mod you should make.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:50 PM   #7

Little more messing around on the titan today. I swapped the 112 jet for a 120 as is recommended and the bike runs magically better. The jump from the stock 102 to 112 jetting was very noticable but the jump from 112 to 120 was meh. I need more time on it but I think it's running slightly rich. I haven't shimmed the needle yet either but I would say it may not need much.
I pulled the forks apart again to try and get some more use out of them. I added another 10cc of fluid for a total of 220 per leg. That seemed to help a little and I don't think adding more will be as beneficial.
It's seems these bikes have odd ball pilot jets too. I just can't find a replacement that is the same shape and of the size I need which is 42. Anyone have any links to the correct ones?
I also pulled the springs to measure them and cut a couple coils off them until i can find replacements. For the record they are 381mm long and 28mm wide. They are close enough to nija 250 springs that they may make a good substitute. Now mine are about 350mm long. I didn't have anything on hand to make a preload spacer so I just put it back together and ran it. The front is much stiffer now but at a cost of height. It dropped the bike a good amount, maybe an inch, but I think it's worth it. I'm not bottoming out all the time now. Infact I didn't bottom out once today.
I'm starting to see the limits of these bikes too as I ride them harder. I have Motocrossed it, done two harescrambles and done a lot of trail rides and most of my street gear parts are broken, breaking or just about fallen off. I'm going to have to start removing stuff again just for safety. Just today the headlight tab stripped out and the bolt fell right onto my lower triple tree and quickly got jammed under the lock tabs preventing me from being able to turn. It took me forever to bash it out.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:51 AM   #8

I had the same issue with the stock carb.. i modified it and it was ok but yea the pilot is definitely oddball. In the end i replaced with a VM26.. link below.. as most do and its been great.. for me, from the start i moved the clip to one down from center and was getting an annoying sputter at 1/8th throttle, moving back to center resolved it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 08-03-2022, 07:16 PM   #9

Thanks for the heads up.
I'm still in my keep it cheap and work with what I got at the moment. Once I start putting money into it replacing perfectly good but inadequate parts the bike will start losing its appeal. So far it's been pretty good for what I paid.

Old 05-15-2023, 11:43 PM   #10

Exclamation Can’t find any parts for my titan 250cc

Where do you guys find your parts to you titan 250cc? I’m having trouble finding anything for my also it was running for a good week I just bought it a week and half ago and now it won’t start I’m cleaning the air filter now and tomorrow taking it to a dirt bike mechanic and he’s putting a Nibbi racing carb on it for me but other than that idk what could be wrong with the bike please HEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!!

Old 05-16-2023, 07:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piercedtfg View Post
Where do you guys find your parts to you titan 250cc? I’m having trouble finding anything for my also it was running for a good week I just bought it a week and half ago and now it won’t start I’m cleaning the air filter now and tomorrow taking it to a dirt bike mechanic and he’s putting a Nibbi racing carb on it for me but other than that idk what could be wrong with the bike please HEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!!
Did you check to see if has spark? Are you getting fuel to the carb? But more than likely needs a valve adjustment. Valve come set from the factory with little or no gap. once you have no valve clearance the valves will not seat and you will loose compression.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-19-2023, 12:12 PM   #12

Kit, Have you done any more upgrades to the bike?