Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2018, 11:13 PM   #1

1969 Ford F250 Camper special and 1989 Race car trailer

As i just posted in the what did you buy thread i made a new deal on the bumpside F250 to include the trailer. The plan is to put a slide in camper i also got today in the F250 and use this truck to pull the trailer.

Specs on the truck as i know them at this point.

1969 Ford F250 Ranger "Camper Special"

390 V8 with C6 3 speed automatic transmission.

Unknown rear end gearing atm
Dual fuel tanks

The second tank is actually hidden under the left side of the box with its filler inside the wheel well. I had missed this detail looking at the truck previously. The plan at the moment is to drop that tank and get it cleaned then fit it with a sending unit with a gauge for it in the cab so i know how much fuel is in both tanks. Gotta see how it is plumbed as well as there is more then likely a hidden selector valve i missed while looking the truck over.

Anyway on to pics.. some from awhile ago when i first looked at the truck and some from today.

Now onto the trailer

Homebuilt unit built in 1989
3500 lb axles

Storage area up front on tongue

The plan with this is to mostly use it with the F250 to haul my '69 Chevy C10 to the track as that truck will be going the direction of dedicated race truck. I will be installing a 4500 lb winch inside the storage area and figure out some sort of placement for the fairlead that will not interfere with the ramps.

Trailer and future tow rig

'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 06-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #2

I love bumpsides; I'm definitely following this thread. Good score on the truck and trailer. Where is the camper?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I love bumpsides; I'm definitely following this thread. Good score on the truck and trailer. Where is the camper?

You can kind of see it behind the van in this pic. Ironically enough that Van is mine as well. Both are down south in willowbunch.

'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 06-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #4

Ok. I'm in.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #5

Looks like a vintage round shell camper. Love it!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Looks like a vintage round shell camper. Love it!

Should go well with the truck as it is about similar vintage to it..or at least old enough that it could have easily been installed on the truck when the truck was only a few years old. As the trucks box has some rust issues in the floor...namely a large chunk of metal missing just behind the axle. The plan is to mount the camper to the truck permanently with some plywood between it and the bed floor to provide additional support in that area.

Right now i know the truck needs the following to be running and driving.

Ignition lock cylinder

Door lock cylinders
Alternator
fuel pump
carb

All the above i have managed to track down from a '76 F150 a friend has so that is covered.

It may or may not need a new master cyl and flex hoses for the brake lines. Will see about that shortly

Plus it also should get a different set of tires and wheels. There is a Dodge Ram 16" on the right rear at the moment and i am going to see if it will clear the front brake caliper. If it will that will make life a lot easier..if not...well i guess i am spending the money to upgrade to 17" wheels as 16.5s are not exactly easy to come by any more.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #7

So the truck and trailer came home yesterday, found out that my little Jeep can pull a lot in the process as we used it to pull the truck onto the trailer. Also managed to find the tank selection valve too.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #8

Looking forward to pics of the camper on the trailer.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Looking forward to pics of the camper on the trailer.

Well here are pics of the truck on the trailer. Will be getting the camper later this summer as my buddies gooseneck needs brakes before he can bring the camper back for me. But that gives me more time to get the F250 ready for it.

'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #10

It looks like the Ford still has bias ply tires on it. That's odd.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
It looks like the Ford still has bias ply tires on it. That's odd.

3 of the tires on the truck are bias on the original split rims. the 4th rim is a 2nd gen dodge rim with a radial that they put on to get it rolling. Here is a bit of back story on this truck.

Originally a friend of a friend of my fathers owned it and had it parked in the back part of his yard near some trees. I had asked about it a few times and was never able to get the timing right in relation to the amount he asked for it. Fast forward to early last year and the late friend i also bought my Capri from buys the truck and works on it for a bit. He then sells it to a friend and eventually ends up with it back in his possession. During this time frame he picks up the trailer with the intent of using it to recover the random cars he finds. Few months later...well as mentioned before with the capri thread or at least in posts related to that car. He passes away in November leaving this, the trailer and the Capri all in limbo unknown of their fate. The Capri is briefly spoken about with his parents around the time of the funeral and confirmed i will recover the car come spring/early summer, Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and a few conversations with his dad. I eventually make a deal on the truck then follow it up with buying the trailer as well. As we now know i brought the truck and trailer home on Thursday. Will hopefully be using the trailer to go retrieve the car next weekend.

New parts that have ended up on or at least with it while Ian had it:

New calipers and brake pads
New Alternator and Voltage regulator. (He did say he changed both a few times but could never get it to charge. I suspect a connection issue such as ground as i had similar problems with an old Dodge)
Changed the carb for one off of a Thunderbird (mostly because the tbird carb was in better shape)

Parts it will need to be drivable:

Rear brake cylinders
Flex hoses
Ignition switch lock cylinder
Door lock cylinders
Possibly a better matched carb and fuel tank clean
Fuel pump

Matched tires

Now I have sourced out the Pump, carb and lock cyls for both ignition and doors from a friends old '76 F150 with 360 FE engine in it. As well as some better tires. Still need to get the hoses and brake cyls. Possibly a master cyl as well. Tubes for the tires and hopefully i can find a shop here that will service the original split rims.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #12

Went to the yard today to look at the trucks vin tag to determine what equipment it had.

1969 Ford F250 info

1st Row
F25= F250
H= 390 V8
R= San Jose, CA production plant
Built in July 1969
2nd row
131" Wb
MP color code= Wimbledon White/Boxwood Green Metallic Two tone
F254= 6,900 GVW
M= F100/250 Custom Cab Charcoal black Corinthian vinyl and charcoal black granada pattern vinyl
81= Conventional Cab
G= Automatic Transmission
37= Dana 60 axle 3.54 gear ratio
3rd Row
6900 GVW
185 Hp @ 4000 RPM
A6= Western District of Canada order
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-18-2018, 01:14 AM   #13

Please, for your safety, ditch the split rims.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Please, for your safety, ditch the split rims.

That may still happen provided i can find some 16" wheels that will clear the calipers. Usually these trucks had 16.5" rims to clear them. This one happened to have 16s. Changing away from them could incur a couple grand in expenses that will keep it off of the road for this year. I already have some used 16" tires coming to replace the bias tires. I got these tires for free so at the most i am looking at is buying new tubes. However... there is a 16" dodge rim on the rear axle i may attempt to see if it will fit over the caliper at some point. If that works out then it is a matter of finding more of the same style rim.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Went to the yard today to look at the trucks vin tag to determine what equipment it had.

1969 Ford F250 info

1st Row
F25= F250
H= 390 V8
R= San Jose, CA production plant
Built in July 1969
2nd row
131" Wb
MP color code= Wimbledon White/Boxwood Green Metallic Two tone
F254= 6,900 GVW
M= F100/250 Custom Cab Charcoal black Corinthian vinyl and charcoal black granada pattern vinyl
81= Conventional Cab
G= Automatic Transmission
37= Dana 60 axle 3.54 gear ratio
3rd Row
6900 GVW
185 Hp @ 4000 RPM
A6= Western District of Canada order
Going by the VIN break down, it appears that the truck is pretty much all original except a few niggly bits like the wheel. I agree with Weld. Those rims are dangerous, especially when it comes to mounting tires and airing them up.