Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2021, 05:03 AM   #1

Magician in Nevada

I went for a VIN check at Las Vegas DMV and was told the MCO states it's highway safe but in a different font than the rest of the document which according to him was suspect. The bike doesn't have a label on it stating highway safe and the VIN comes up as Not For Import into the Country therefore they wont certify it. I'm sure I'll be told I should have checked first before buying from a private party but the sales already done lets move on.
Can anyone offer any help with this situation. It's an 2016 RPS Magician originally purchased from TXPower sports. I have no way to transport a bike to the desert to ride so I wanted something I could ride to the desert and ride. If it can't be registered I would have to risk a ticket every time I wanted to ride.
There has to be a way. There's always a way. Help me someone.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #2

You could try the Vermont route. It worked for me. They don't issue a title for bikes under 300CC or over a certain age but they are supposed to send a certificate of ownership. The certificate is supposed to be as good as a title and you can use it to register in your state.

I followed this guide http://www.chinonthetank.com/2014/04...-registration/.

But with the following differences: (Here's my thread where I talked about it)
http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=14912&page=6

I just made up the model name "GY150..." something or other. Left the driver's license block blank. Didn't send any pictures. Didn't send proof of insurance, I did get a quote from my company but they wanted to know where it was registered, so I didn't get the insurance until I got the tag. It was just a regular bill of sale I got of the internet, not notarized.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:49 AM   #3

Vermont title process - common mistakes

This video can help you avoid errors with the registration application form:

You're not applying for a title so a lot of this doesn't apply for a bike under 300CCs. (e.g. VIN verification isn't required.).

Also, even Vermont's web site says you don't have to be a resident to get a Vermont registration: https://dmv.vermont.gov/faq/do-i-have-to-be-a-vermont-resident-to-register-a-vehicle-in-vermont

One more video - more closely related to your situation:

Old 05-31-2021, 01:35 PM   #4

The Hawk and Magician are on the same EPA certificate (because they share the same engine) as 'Offroad Dirtbikes' RPS has imported them with full street equipment for a few years now, and only recently brought in the Hawk DLX which does have EPA/DOT certification as an 'On-highway motorcycle' for 49 states (Californians need not apply).

I am not sure if Nevada street registers and plates off-road motorcycles converted with a minimum of street equipment. If it did in the past, have they stopped doing so now? That is the question you will want answered. The Magician has full street equipment, so as long as that is all working, it will pass a visual inspection. But again, Google street-plating offroad dirtbikes in Nevada, or hopefully someone here knows recent laws. My only concern is you bought it used from someone who I am guessing might not have been successful in plating it, so pawned it off on you.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Tags
import, magician, nevada, registration, title