Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2021, 12:33 PM   #1

Apollo AGB 36c 250cc Has 3 Choke Options?

So the choke on the carburetor of my 2019 Apollo AGB 36c has 3 options, as in it has a mechanism with a switch that pushes up some metal rod or something, the switch goes all the way up, where the rod is not making any contact with the switch, it goes to the middle where there switch is pushing the rod half way up, and finally the switch goes all the way down where the rod is fully pushed up. I'm not sure what this is as I just got the bike and I've never had a bike with 3 choke options, just 2. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:06 PM   #2

Middle position will be half choke.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #3

I have found my Apollo DB36 to be moderately easy to start, but it's very cold-blooded-- it needs to warm up fully before it will run right.

I generally start it with full choke (i.e., lever all the way up) and run it for about 5 minutes. It's an actual choke (not an enricher), so during this time it just idles-- it doesn't increase rpm's as it warms up. In fact the 5 minute point is where the rpm's start going down-- like it's bogging down.

At that point, I switch it to the middle position (half choke, as Jerry stated). It will idle nicely there, and, again, mine doesn't gain any rpm's as it warms up, but it doesn't start bogging either. Sometimes I forget to turn off the choke and start riding it with it half on-- seems to do fine (but it's probably not a good idea).

Seems like it takes at least another 5 minutes (probably more like 10-- I've never actually timed it) before it will run with the choke off (bottom position for the lever). It may or may not idle with the choke off, but you can't rev it with the choke off until it's 90% warmed up.

Seems to then take a few minutes of riding before it will run completely right (with no hesitation or missing). At that point, all is well.

So, I fully utilize all three positions when I start my bike. Hope that info is of some use to you.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rogers View Post
I have found my Apollo DB36 to be moderately easy to start, but it's very cold-blooded-- it needs to warm up fully before it will run right.

I generally start it with full choke (i.e., lever all the way up) and run it for about 5 minutes. It's an actual choke (not an enricher), so during this time it just idles-- it doesn't increase rpm's as it warms up. In fact the 5 minute point is where the rpm's start going down-- like it's bogging down.

At that point, I switch it to the middle position (half choke, as Jerry stated). It will idle nicely there, and, again, mine doesn't gain any rpm's as it warms up, but it doesn't start bogging either. Sometimes I forget to turn off the choke and start riding it with it half on-- seems to do fine (but it's probably not a good idea).

Seems like it takes at least another 5 minutes (probably more like 10-- I've never actually timed it) before it will run with the choke off (bottom position for the lever). It may or may not idle with the choke off, but you can't rev it with the choke off until it's 90% warmed up.

Seems to then take a few minutes of riding before it will run completely right (with no hesitation or missing). At that point, all is well.

So, I fully utilize all three positions when I start my bike. Hope that info is of some use to you.
Your bike is lean on every circuit. There's no such thing as "cold blooded". It's just not tuned correctly.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyDavid View Post
Your bike is lean on every circuit. There's no such thing as "cold blooded". It's just not tuned correctly.
You are correct, but that's the way they come from the factory-- EPA/CARB lean.

At some point I will change the jetting on mine to cure the lean condition, but the OP just got his Apollo and I was just cluing him in on the fact that it's likely to be cold-blooded and that's normal.

I thought that would be helpful to him because when I first got mine, it took so long to warm up and ran so badly until it was fully warmed up that I was convinced there was something wrong with my bike.

I've since figured out that extreme lean/cold-bloodedness is normal for a new Apollo 250 and just wanted to give the OP some ideas on how to use the choke (or at least how I use it) and to make sure he knew that he didn't (necessarily) have a problem if the bike had an unusually involved warmup process.

Tags
apollo