Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2021, 11:19 PM   #1

Hawk 250 shifting problems

I recently purchased a new hawk 250 and it takes 5-6 tries to get the bike into neutral any idea how I can fix this? It goes into the other gears fine. And when I say it doesn't go into neutral it goes straight into second gear.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:52 PM   #2

Its a new bike, give it time to break in. They can be tricky to get into neutral when brand new sometimes. My Apollo didnt go directly into neutral until almost the 100 Mile mark. Now its smooth as butter and hits neutral every time. Make sure you swap the oil that came with the bike if you havent already.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloChinaRider View Post
Its a new bike, give it time to break in. They can be tricky to get into neutral when brand new sometimes. My Apollo didnt go directly into neutral until almost the 100 Mile mark. Now its smooth as butter and hits neutral every time. Make sure you swap the oil that came with the bike if you havent already.
It's not really new I have had it for a while it has around 250 miles on it I thought it would improve over time but it seems to be getting worst.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
It's not really new I have had it for a while it has around 250 miles on it I thought it would improve over time but it seems to be getting worst.
lol. 250 miles = new.

You are almost halfway through the break in period for one of these bikes.

As far as finding neutral easier, well, most likely you are getting the tiniest bit of clutch drag thanks to a phenomenon known as clutch fade. That nearly imperceptible bit of drag is making you apply more force than what would normally be needed in order to move the lever up and down, and since neutral is a very small window between first and second, you are literally just skimming right past it. The Hawks are known to suffer from clutch fade, and is actually the primary reason I installed an oil cooler on my bike, to keep the oil temps more stable, and reduce the effects of clutch fade. The only way to really solve that potential issue, assuming you are having this issue, is to literally find the clutch adjustment that allows you full disengagement when hot, but is not too tight when cold.

Easy way to test this is to actually adjust the clutch lever at the lever adjuster. After riding for a bit, adjust the adjuster on the lever perch out a bit (reduce free play at lever) and see if it becomes any easier. If yes, you now know the issue. If not, give it time and more miles. Most of these bikes get easier shifting and easier to catch netural as you put actual miles on them. (more than 500, approaching 1000)

An alternative trick that I often use to get neutral from first when at a stop is to simply apply a tiny bit of preload to the shifter and blip the throttle a little. That quick loading/unloading of force on the clutch and gears is often enough to let it slip into neutral.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-11-2021, 07:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
That motorcycle is brand new. To give you an idea, with the china bike i used to drive around 120 km per day (74 miles).

Old 03-11-2021, 07:51 AM   #6

I have the exact same problem on my brand new Lifan. 50 miles on it.

For now, what I have been doing is giving it a gentle nudge upward, halfway between first and second. But not fully shifting it. And it mostly goes into neutral then. If it doesn’t, I’ll let the clutch out just a teeny bit to test. And sometimes it will pop right into neutral when I let the clutch out.

I figured I would adjust it later after it is done breaking in some more.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:01 AM   #7

I have a Brozz 250 with 100 miles on it now, and have never had any trouble finding neutral, but I noticed for the first time day before yesterday that my bike doesn't like to downshift from 4th, or 5th from a dead stop. I discovered this issue when I pulled off the road to let some fast traffic pass , and instead of downshifting as I slowed down, I just clutched it, and braked to a stop.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I have a Brozz 250 with 100 miles on it now, and have never had any trouble finding neutral, but I noticed for the first time day before yesterday that my bike doesn't like to downshift from 4th, or 5th from a dead stop. I discovered this issue when I pulled off the road to let some fast traffic pass , and instead of downshifting as I slowed down, I just clutched it, and braked to a stop.
I think thats probably normal since you in high gears already.. if that ever happens again, clutch in and then roll the bike forward as you try to downshift gear by gear and it should engage.

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 03-11-2021, 09:34 AM   #9

You shouldn't be coming to a stop in that high of a gear anyway, you should be downshifting and using that to slow you down, in addition to the brakes. Most motorcycle transmissions won't shift more than 1 gear at a stop anyway, unless you release the clutch a bit to let the gear engage before trying to shift again.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
You shouldn't be coming to a stop in that high of a gear anyway, you should be downshifting and using that to slow you down, in addition to the brakes. Most motorcycle transmissions won't shift more than 1 gear at a stop anyway, unless you release the clutch a bit to let the gear engage before trying to shift again.
I normally do gear down as I stop, or slow, but I was a little frustrated, because I had a car on my bumper the whole time I was going through a curvy section of road, as soon as I got on the long straight stretch that runs along Elk Fork lake I pulled over. I am new to this, but I was running the 35 mph speed limit in the curves, but most locals drive the road a lot faster than the speed limit. The name of the road is Gay Road, but it's nickname is "The 500" (which is better than Gay road LOL) .I was raised out there, and in a car ,I'm guilty of running faster than the posted speed. I would never tailgate anyone like I was being tailgated though.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #11

Quote:
I normally do gear down as I stop, or slow, but I was a little frustrated, because I had a car on my bumper the whole time I was going through a curvy section of road, as soon as I got on the long straight stretch that runs along Elk Fork lake I pulled over. I am new to this, but I was running the 35 mph speed limit in the curves, but most locals drive the road a lot faster than the speed limit. The name of the road is Gay Road, but it's nickname is "The 500" (which is better than Gay road LOL) .I was raised out there, and in a car ,I'm guilty of running faster than the posted speed. I would never tailgate anyone like I was being tailgated though.
I can understand your frustration, but dont let any $%%@&^*! make you panic into an emergency stop, especially since you never know what kind of debris may be on the shoulder or other obstacles. If you dont feel comfortable speeding up then maintain the speed you are comfortable and let them wait.
I'll tell you this, though, once you do get the comfort level you should be able to lose most cars in the twisties.. i know i can even with knobbies.

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 03-11-2021, 11:23 AM   #12

Quote:
There is something common EVERYWHERE, most of the people driving are as2hol2s that can't drive for good.
Sadly people tailgating motorcycles that are not going full speed is not uncommon.

If someone is tailgating you, then you have two options:

1)Outrun him/her

2)Lean to right and let them pass.

Things i would advise not to do when someone is tailgating you

1) Emergency stop
If you have to make an emergency stop because someone is tailgating you, then you are going to spend more time doing emergency stop than riding.

2)Arguing fighting with the tailgater.
It's just a waste of time and could escalated fast

Old 03-11-2021, 02:48 PM   #13

Third option for tailgater. If they have the ability to pass you, reduce speed gradually. I get tailgaters a lot on dual lane roads, and this works better than you think. If they are adamant on staying behind you, the pull over and let them by tends to work the best. Now, if you are a braver sort with a mild temper issue like me, I just keep getting slower, and slower, and slower because I know it is likely driving them nuts... but I don't mind gambling with my own safety a bit. Plus, since I am on a bike it is plain as day that I am a rather large fellow, and people are less inclined to want to take it farther.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Third option for tailgater. If they have the ability to pass you, reduce speed gradually. I get tailgaters a lot on dual lane roads, and this works better than you think. If they are adamant on staying behind you, the pull over and let them by tends to work the best. Now, if you are a braver sort with a mild temper issue like me, I just keep getting slower, and slower, and slower because I know it is likely driving them nuts... but I don't mind gambling with my own safety a bit. Plus, since I am on a bike it is plain as day that I am a rather large fellow, and people are less inclined to want to take it farther.
There are a couple of sections of broken lines on that particular straight stretch, and I probably should have waited till I got to one, but there are several wide spots that people who want to fish pull off onto, so I just pulled into one. It wasn't really a drastically fast stop, but I just forget to go down through the gears as I was stopping. I am getting the hang of the bike, and I normally do down shift while coming to a stop. I have been in town a lot on the bike, and I often as not, don't have to come to a complete stop at lights. I usually just walk my speed down by down shifting, and don't even have to put my feet down before the light turns green. Ripley would be considered a small city ,by national standards, and traffic flows pretty well through it. I am getting better on the bike everytime I ride it, and once I have been on a section of road a couple times I relax, and enjoy it more. I do a lot better when I'm not thinking about leaning the bike, and just let instinct take over. I'm just now getting used to canceling my signals. LOL.

Old 03-11-2021, 04:46 PM   #15

In Australia the lead vehicle always has right of way, If you ever get tail gated the best thing to do I believe is slow down and show brake lights and then become aware of the behind drivers reactions. They'll either be forced to slow down or make the effort to pass, but if you get tapped injured/damaged, well along as you were in lead then it's the fault of the other driver and they are liable. Granted giving morons an escape route is preferable in some situations.