Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2019, 10:54 PM   #1

BD125-8 ZS190 swap and EFI conversion

Just another 190 swap into a Vader/Baodiao grom copy, except this time I will hopefully have it converted to EFI as well.

I already have the 190 engine, new exhaust, and a Microsquirt ECU. I am still waiting for EFI-supporting hardware such as throttle body, fuel pump, injector, etc from here (kit 4), as well as a wideband o2 sensor and controller from amazon.

The parts from the Chinese seller also included another ECU, but this one is supposedly not compatible with the software that is used to tune the microsquirt, and will only work with the software that the seller gives you with the parts. Also, it states on the Chinese seller's product description, that wideband 02 sensors are not supported, however the option to use either a narrowband or a wideband is still selectable in the software.

If it turns out that the software truly doesn't support wideband, I'll just skip right over using the Chinese ECU and software and use the genuine microsquirt and tunerstudio. I'm sure I could eventually get a decent tune on an engine with just a narrowband sensor for ECU feedback, I've seen a few videos of people with this same kit or one very like it get an engine running and rideable; but this is my very first foray into EFI conversion and tuning, so I want the experience to be as good (easy) as I can make it so I won't have a sour taste left in my mouth from a bad first experience with tuning.

I already have 90% of the bike taken apart and will probably drop the engine sometime between tomorrow and Wednesday. Trying to drop an engine, even one this small, without an platform jack is... painful. I'll probably end up using a combination of trolley jacks, jack stands, and rope to drop the 125 and lift the 190.

Unless something unexpected happens, I probably won't document the engine swap part too heavily as it's quite straight-forward; take stuff off of your bike until you can remove the engine, disconnect anything that is connected between the engine and the frame or wiring harness, remove front sprocket, remove the right rear set to get access to a bolt, remove engine mount bolts (that's where I am right now), drop (hopefully not literally) the engine, new engine install is reverse of removal. I think there is one or two wires that I have to move/swap, if you were going to stay carbureted, you'd be 95% done.

I'm not good at wrapping up ideas, thoughts, and posts.