Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2017, 07:56 AM   #1

HAWK 250cc STALLING--Just Delivered

I just received my Hawk 250cc yesterday. I bought it fully assembled. I'm not mechanically inclined AT ALL so any advice would be helpful. I put gas in it, charged up the battery it came with and tried to start it-headlight came on but clicked when I kicked it. I figured it was the battery, so I went and bought a better one-Got power with the new battery and the bike started with a few kicks.

But it won't stay running. It won't idle at all. It starts up and stalls. I have to rev the engine to keep it going.

Suggestions?

Old 09-10-2017, 08:15 AM   #2

Are you using the choke? If so do you turn it off after its running. Sorry but I want to start trouble shooting as simple as I can.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:18 AM   #3

Well you are pretty screwed if you are not able to work on this bike.
These bikes require a bit of going thru when new to get them setup so they will start and run well.

I would be checking the valves and adjusting them to spec they always seem to come adjusted real tight.

I would be checking the carb and adjusting it.

Are you using the choke to start the bike?
Are you turning the choke off after starting it?

Who did you buy this from? I would be going back to them if you bought it from a local dealer.

If not you will need to learn how to do these things or find someone to do it for you.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #4

Always start trouble shooting with the easiest stuff. Start by assuming everything works and you are not doing something. To start the bike the fuel petcock needs to be opened, the choke needs to be on and the key needs to be on. Open the throttle about a quarter turn and push the starter button. Once it starts push the choke down one click to half choke. You may need to give it some throttle to keep it running. Once it can idle take the choke completely off. Up is on and down is off.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersam91 View Post
I just received my Hawk 250cc yesterday. I bought it fully assembled. I'm not mechanically inclined AT ALL so any advice would be helpful. I put gas in it, charged up the battery it came with and tried to start it-headlight came on but clicked when I kicked it. I figured it was the battery, so I went and bought a better one-Got power with the new battery and the bike started with a few kicks.

But it won't stay running. It won't idle at all. It starts up and stalls. I have to rev the engine to keep it going.

Suggestions?
These carburetors do not come with fast idle cams, so it is normal to have to manipulate the throttle in order to keep it running until it warms up. After a couple of minutes, it should be warm enough to idle unasisted. So the drill is, ignition on, choke lever all the way up, open throttle 1/8th to 1/4 open, and start engine. Keep throttle on, and reduce choke to the halfway position. You can ride off, but don't put the whip to it as the oil is still cold. After about 30 seconds, or a half mile, push the choke lever all the way down. Ride around the block 2 or 3 times, and pull into your driveway. See if the bike idles. If not, let us know....ARH

Old 09-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #6

Thanks for all the responses, I'll keep ya posted on how it turns out. Im going to motorcycle mechanic school next month and wanted to have something to work on. Fingers crossed

Old 09-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #7

Yes on the choke but I think I turned it off too quickly.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersam91 View Post
Yes on the choke but I think I turned it off too quickly.
Could be. Why not ride it around the block a few times to find out. I went to the greasy fingers - barked knuckles school of motor cycle repair...ARH

Old 09-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #9

they are a cold blooded engine takes awhile to warm up especially till its broke it good. after you do what arh said and it still wont idol theres a screw on the side of the carb to raise to idle speed. i think in (righty tighty) increases idle sped. you want around 1500 rpm for idle.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 09-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
they are a cold blooded engine takes awhile to warm up especially till its broke it good. after you do what arh said and it still wont idol theres a screw on the side of the carb to raise to idle speed. i think in (righty tighty) increases idle sped. you want around 1500 rpm for idle.
Tim Cosby put that very well. If you need more idle rpm, be sure you open the throttle before turning in that screw, otherwise you could damage the throttle-slide..ARH

Tags
hawk 250, stalling