Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #16

Maybe my battery had an internal short but the guy who load tested it said it had 9 volts with the load on it. I tested it with a volt meter and it had 12.4 volts.

Like I said earlier I could kick start the Q and it would idle but bog and die if I twisted the throttle even after warm up.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmcd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
You need a healthy battery to run a modern street bike, because the magneto can't provide enough power for spark and the always-on headlight. On my atv, I can run with a virtually dead battery, because I can switch the headlight off.
This makes no sense. Following this logic, the battery would die every few hours of riding, if the charging system is unable to keep up with the load. The magneto HAS to be putting out enough power to run all systems, plus a little extra to charge the battery after starting. I know a lot of people that convert their track bikes to run battery-less, they pull of the starter to save weight. I also know of other people who pull the magneto and run a total loss system with a small battery...
You're absolutely right, depending upon how the stator is wound. With China street bikes, think of the battery as a capacitor that works in concert with the stator. I have a few dirt bikes that don't use a battery at all, so I can see where my logic makes no sense. All I can tell you is that if the battery on my old XS650S was flat, I could kick it all day with no joy.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #18

barnone do you have a wiring diagram for your bike you could post on here?

Old 05-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #19

I haven't had the chance to or needed to study the wiring doagram on my Q yet, but I have a Yamaha Rd400 and if the rear brake light burnt out the bike would not run until you replaced it. So who knows if there is an open circuit like a guage light or turn signal being out causing the problem

Old 05-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #20

I can attest to what barnone is saying. I had to replace my battery also on my XF200. It's two years old. Of course, I don't know how long the battery sat in the bike before I bought it. Anyway, I put it back in this year to start and no go. It did the same as bar's when I kick started it. It would idle but bog when throttling. I didn't try it with the battery out, however. I wonder if that would make a difference. There is a wiring diagram in both the english version manual from Andrew and the portuguese one.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #21

I'd be worried that running with no battery at all would take out the CDI.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I'd be worried that running with no battery at all would take out the CDI.
It can indeed cause problems and I don't recommend it either.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #23

Stumbled upon some more info. According to DrAtv, engines with a DC CDI must have a battery to generate spark, whereas the AC version can run without a battery. http://www.dratv.com/distty.html

Old 06-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #24

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
I put many, many hours on my Hondoid with no battery at all connected in. Never gave me any trouble besides a sore instep.

Eventually got tired of kicking and bought a new battery.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #25

Bring a spare "cap" will solves those ??? .
http://translate.google.com/translat...thorid%3D75082