Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2022, 11:31 AM   #1

Has anyone replaced the air filter housing with a pod filter?

I'm a heavy guy and I have a knobby on the rear wheel, which means the tire bottoms out on the airbox. I'm wondering if I can't fix this by removing the airbox and replacing it with a UNI foam "pod" filter. Has anyone attempted this before?

Would it reduce or increase the intake noise that reverbs between the rider and the windshield?

Charles.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:49 PM   #2

I assume you've already maxed out your pre-load on the rear shock?

Old 02-09-2022, 05:52 PM   #3

Yup. It's fine for the street, but not so much for off-road.

Charles.

Old 02-09-2022, 05:59 PM   #4

I have no experience with this particular bike but plenty of others and of cone filter conversions; intake noise is the least of your problems as it will totally throw off your fueling. It CAN be made to work but expect a lot of fiddling with your carb settings, needle positioning, main and idle jetting changes etc
Ex:Bashan BS200-S7 `07 Streetfighter-quad

Old 02-09-2022, 07:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball Matt View Post
I have no experience with this particular bike but plenty of others and of cone filter conversions; intake noise is the least of your problems as it will totally throw off your fueling. It CAN be made to work but expect a lot of fiddling with your carb settings, needle positioning, main and idle jetting changes etc
No need for any of that with the RX3, since it's fuel injected.

Old 02-10-2022, 05:12 PM   #6

I have the same problem as you charlie, that's why I ordered this shock and will see if it will come on, because I don't see any other solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amor.jpg (110.9 KB, 313 views)

Old 02-11-2022, 03:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
No need for any of that with the RX3, since it's fuel injected.
Dang it of course, that's what you get for trying to be smart just have had such bad luck with pod filters I wanna stomp and jump on any that I see
Ex:Bashan BS200-S7 `07 Streetfighter-quad

Old 02-11-2022, 03:57 AM   #8

The only issue I can see ... where is the air temp sensor located..
they are usually in the air box... relocating it somewhere else may
not give a correct reading of the intake air temp...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 02-11-2022, 09:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
The only issue I can see ... where is the air temp sensor located..
they are usually in the air box... relocating it somewhere else may
not give a correct reading of the intake air temp...

This is not the only problem, because the air box is connected to the crank pulley, also any reduction in air flow will weaken the bike (I know, because I tested), but the worst may be the noise, and the original box can be lined with rubber in the middle and make a slalom for air or put a mesh, such as it is in db killer to the muffler and it is quiet for this reason it is not worth replacing it you need to lift the suspension and do it right the shock absorber I ordered has already left Belgium and should reach me next week wait charlie only you shortened the swing arm and on the YouTube video the ukrainian did the same and when he put longer shock the spring rubbed against the engine and he had to return to the original swing arm size.

Last edited by Lukas; 02-11-2022 at 02:21 PM.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:35 AM   #10

Seems like the easiest solution would be a shorter rear tire or slightly longer shock. If you go the shock route it can still be a gamble because a new shock might be 10mm longer, but have a 10mm longer stroke (some aftermarket shocks have more stroke than the stock ones) so you're back to the tire hitting the air box.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 02-11-2022, 10:29 AM   #11

Yes it is, but if on the original shock it rubs against the air box, it will not change anything, remember that originally this bike has a rear wheel size 15 then changed to 17, after changing the shock you will probably need to lengthen the side stand.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
Yes it is, but if on the original shock it rubs against the air box, it will not change anything, remember that originally this bike has a rear wheel size 15 then changed to 17, after changing the shock you will probably need to lengthen the side stand.
Yep that's why a shorter tire would be easiest, but a slightly longer shock (compressed) is also a possibility... and you're right, that could require a longer stand and maybe longer legs too. Lol
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250

Old 02-11-2022, 02:18 PM   #13

The tire will not give much, because maybe 1 cm, and the motorcycle on the original shock absorber rubs with 1 Charlie, and I would like to take a passenger, and it comes out 1.5 Charlie, so changing the tire is a half-measure that will fail with a higher load.So you have to be prepared for different possibilities.

Old 02-11-2022, 07:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
The tire will not give much, because maybe 1 cm, and the motorcycle on the original shock absorber rubs with 1 Charlie, and I would like to take a passenger, and it comes out 1.5 Charlie, so changing the tire is a half-measure that will fail with a higher load.So you have to be prepared for different possibilities.
You're right, I didn't realize that those bikes came with such a narrow range of tire diameters. My tbr7 with the odd 17" rear tires have tires available in several sizes with several diameters, with a couple inches difference in heights. My bad.
2009 Q-link Legacy 250

Old 02-14-2022, 12:55 PM   #15

So, the reason I'm doing this is because I did raise the rear suspension. I cut 6mm out of each dogbone and welded them back together. This gave me about 0.75" raise in the rear, which is a finger's width from bottoming on anything. I can get a finger between the upper fender and tire, and when the wheel is all the way forward in the adustment it's still not touching the airbox. This is with a 130/80/17 Kenda Big Block tire. When running a golden boy/SR244 in 5.10x17 the tire still rubs the fender but now misses the airbox (though it's VERY close). I did have to weld an extension on my side stand.

However, with the rear lifted this much the bike is VERY unstable at 70+mph. It has a dangerous wobble. I tried sliding the forks down in the trees as much as I could, but this only made it slightly better. The bike is also a lot taller and I am less confident when the trail gets nasty.

So, my aim here is to return the bike to the stock height (I've already bought the parts from CSC) and remove the airbox instead. My other option would be to buy the 19" front wheel and run a slightly-oversized 3.50x19 front tire. But that's quite a bit more expensive than going back to stock and throwing on a foam uni filter. A lot more work tho, that airbox doesn't look like it's coming out easily.

Charles.