Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #3406

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
I have noticed over time that my oil level has been rising. At first I thought I was just imagining it. But I think now it could be the case.

So I have set up some marks on the ground and selected a block of wood for under the side stand.

This combined with a small mark I have made on the oil level inspection window so I can accurately monitor the oil level each time I check.

This I did last week. Today I checked the oil level and It does seem to be starting to rise.

Also when I initially set this up I removed an amount of oil to gain the correct level. This oil reeked of fuel, I don't mean a small whiff of petrol, it totally stunk of the stuff.

Probably best if I order a new injector before I start ripping things apart
At least you've been able to establish that it's fuel, not coolant. A new injector is a relatively easy fix, compared to a head gasket.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #3407

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr21 View Post
25.6hp @ 8994 rpm
This is a brake dyno of some type. Easy to tell by the rpm time trace. Engine is at maximum rpm then is pulled down to lower rpm over 6 seconds. These types of dyno's are hard on engines.
I have no personal experience with dyno sheets, but I've reviewed several over the years. I am struggling to understand the inverse curve at the bottom of the graph, and I'm failing to get which curve represents torque.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #3408

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I just got back from a 60-mile ride to test the shock preload adjustment I performed on my RX3. The ride contained interstate, secondary, and tertiary paved roads, including city streets. I also rode dirt and gravel roads. Tightening the spring preload adjustment on the shock absorber a mere three turns resulted in a very significant improvement in shock performance.

The shock absorber is still reacting a little too soft for my taste, so I am going to tighten the spring preload another three turns.
That's good news. Perhaps with the appropriate preload and nitrogen charge, this shock will meet your needs.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #3409

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I installed the instrument panel power outlets the other day.
Those look well integrated into the dash, not like they were an afterthought. I'd love to find something like that for my bike.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #3410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck369 View Post
It's Friday!! posting a TGIF Pic!
You made my day, Huck. That is a really good looking bike.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #3411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
At least you've been able to establish that it's fuel, not coolant. A new injector is a relatively easy fix, compared to a head gasket.
Yeah, doing the head gasket would of been a drag.

Fortunately I don't think the injector is going to be too expensive. Just hope it will cure the problem.
I guess in the meantime I will have to replace the oil regularly so it doesn't get too diluted with fuel

Old 05-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #3412

Is there an opportunity for warranty replacement of the injector?

Old 05-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #3413

Quote:
I have no personal experience with dyno sheets, but I've reviewed several over the years. I am struggling to understand the inverse curve at the bottom of the graph, and I'm failing to get which curve represents torque.
I'm not sure but I think the inverse curve is the fuel consumption rate

Grams per kilowatt hour (g/kwh)

X axis Dyno rpm

y axis g/kwh on the right, goes up to 377.5

There seems to be 2 graphs in one going on here

The "Meo" curve seems to represent torque or at least the "torque revise" figures, what the hell that is I've no idea.

X axis dyno rpm

y axis (on right) Nm - ranging from 17.61 to 21.90 and above

Last edited by katflap; 05-08-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #3414

Quote:
Yes your probably right, I should chase it up and I may well do.

But I would like to get the injector out and test it to see if it drips under pump pressure.

I would like to have a spare one handy just in case it all goes pair shaped and wind up killing it.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #3415

Quote:
Two curves at the bottom deal with fuel.

Straight upwards is amount of fuel used.

Inverse curve shows efficiency of transferring potential energy of fuel into mechanical energy.
2001 H-D V-Rod
1999 Ducati 750SS
1997 Yamaha Riva
1995 KTM 250
1970 Honda CB350
1952 Ariel Square four

Old 05-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #3416

Quote:
That's good news. Perhaps with the appropriate preload and nitrogen charge, this shock will meet your needs.
As FastDoc might say, the prognosis is optimistic. I am going out in a few minutes to tighten the spring preload another three turns.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-08-2015, 02:10 PM   #3417

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
Yes your probably right, I should chase it up and I may well do.

But I would like to get the injector out and test it to see if it drips under pump pressure.

I would like to have a spare one handy just in case it all goes pair shaped and wind up killing it.
I think you are wise to have Honley inspect the problem. However, it is also very nice to have a spare fuel injector for diagnostic purposes. I ordered a spare fuel injector from Taobao. They are quite reasonably priced.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #3418

My Taobao shipment has cleared customs. Now it is only a short trip by U.S.P.S. Priority Mail to East Idaho.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #3419

Incidentally, I have measured the rear sprocket. It is a JTR473 sprocket, which fits the following Kawasaki motorcycles which have been sold in the United States.

78-79 Kawasaki KZ200
80-81 Kawasaki KZ250

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTR473

This sprocket is available in 37T and 40T sizes from J.T. Sprockets. The Chinese WLJF sprocket which comes stock with the RX3 is only available in size 44T. Ryan at CSC told me they plan to order a batch of custom steel sprockets in various sizes directly from a sprocket manufacturer.

After I adjust the spring preload on my shock absorber, I will examine the front sprocket.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #3420

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
My Taobao shipment has cleared customs. Now it is only a short trip by U.S.P.S. Priority Mail to East Idaho.