Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #16

the rx3 is a beautiful bike im sure you dont want to answer this but what are they running wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.

Last edited by MotoJoey; 05-14-2015 at 11:04 PM.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJoey View Post
the rx3 is a beautiful bike im sure you dont want to answer this but what are they running wouldn't mind adding one to my collection.
Thank you. The RX3 is sold in the United States by California Scooter Company, in Azusa, California. Here is the link to their website. They will be happy to answer all your questions. The current price for the RX3 is $3,495.

http://californiascooterco.com/
http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/category-s/100.htm

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-16-2015, 06:03 PM   #18

Mine arrived - partially assembled. It shipped strapped down in a custom crate - had to install mirrors, windscreen and top case (though I might go looking into the larger travel trunk that folks seem fond about).

Be careful while unstrapping - I made sure the kickstand would land on a board on the pallet, but even so, when the tie down was released and weight shifted to the kickstand, the kickstand broke through the pallet and we were not able to arrest its fall so my poor bike has battle wounds already (some scuffs on the guards and left pannier) - anyone know if these guards are going to rust? If so I'm open to paint recommendations to do some touch up work :P

Old 05-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #19

Congratulations on receiving your new RX3.

Your question regarding touchup paint for the engine/luggage guards is excellent, and I'm sure the topic will arise again. I'm tempted to suggest you start a new thread on this topic, since I suspect you might receive many different recommendations. It would be nice to have this information available in one thread, for future reference.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-08-2015, 12:08 AM   #20

Anyone know if there is a torque value for the engine sprocket nut? I noticed mine had some play today so I tightened it some. (There was no movement when I received my bike)

Also, anyone know what size bolt/screw the air filter panel takes? I bought a #10 machine screw with a hex head that looked to be about right but the thread spacing must be just a hair off.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:21 AM   #21

I suggest you call CSC for the definitive answer to both questions. However, the EC Cami 250 Owner's Manual specifies the torque for the counter shaft (C/S) sprocket to be 55 Nm, which is 41 foot-pounds.

Are you inquiring about the screw which holds the air filter assembly together? If so, it might be included in part #9, the Air Filter Element Bracket.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/category-s/154.htm

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #22

Thanks Spud.
Will call CSC and see if they have a torque value for me.

As for the screw - it's the bottom one that holds the split panel that houses the air filter
the one referred to in post #9 in this thread

Old 06-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #23

I'm sure that screw is metric. I will try to remember to measure it for you when I get a chance. I merely removed that screw, and did not replace it. I think the other screws will hold the panel securely.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I'm sure that screw is metric.
confirmed it is metric, but CSC did not have a size.

As for the Countershaft sprocket nut, they report a torque value of 125Nm

And as for me, I need to have a lesson in what all everything is called on the bike - because it seems I was wondering about the engine cover (and the countershaft sprocket is behind a something that I probably haven't even removed to check) :embarassed: Oh well, the only way to learn is to ask

Old 06-08-2015, 11:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
confirmed it is metric, but CSC did not have a size.

As for the Countershaft sprocket nut, they report a torque value of 125Nm

And as for me, I need to have a lesson in what all everything is called on the bike - because it seems I was wondering about the engine cover (and the countershaft sprocket is behind a something that I probably haven't even removed to check) :embarassed: Oh well, the only way to learn is to ask
My goodness! I calculate that 125 Nm is 92 foot-pounds. That is the amount of torque you might put on a crankshaft bolt, not a counter shaft, sprocket nut. I really think 41 ft-lbs is much more reasonable.

If you wish, start a new thread on Motorcycle Nomenclature. We will be happy to answer your questions.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-09-2015, 12:25 AM   #26

Quote:
My goodness! I calculate that 125 Nm is 92 foot-pounds. That is the amount of torque you might put on a crankshaft bolt, not a counter shaft, sprocket nut. I really think 41 ft-lbs is much more reasonable.
I even asked for confirmation on that value...it certainly seemed excessive

Old 06-09-2015, 12:40 AM   #27

Personally, I wouldn't tighten it that much, especially since the C/S sprocket for the RX3 has a locking tab. You really don't get much lateral pressure on the counter shaft sprocket.

My Zongshen ZS200GY-2 only employs a retaining clip for the C/S sprocket, which allows some lateral movement of the sprocket on the counter shaft. My Honda XR650L also employs a retainer which bolts to the C/S sprocket, and allows lateral movement of the sprocket on the counter shaft. My Honda CRF250X specifies a torque of only 23 ft-lbs for the bolt holding the C/S sprocket.

It will require considerable effort to torque that bolt to 92 ft-lbs. It will also require a breaker bar to loosen a bolt torqued to 92 ft-lbs. The C/S sprocket nut will not loosen if it is tightened to 41 ft-lbs, and secured with the locking tab.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-12-2015, 01:10 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
...As for the screw - it's the bottom one that holds the split panel that houses the air filter
the one referred to in post #9 in this thread
Quote:
I'm sure that screw is metric. I will try to remember to measure it for you when I get a chance. I merely removed that screw, and did not replace it. I think the other screws will hold the panel securely.
I measured the screw. It is designed for a 3 mm hole. However, I don't know the thread pitch. I assume it is the standard thread pitch for a 3 mm screw/bolt.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-12-2015, 06:47 AM   #29

You can get too much information, such as this

Metric Screw Threads

Here is a useful guide to sizes, torques etc.

Sizes and Torques

Metric nuts and bolts are the current standard across the globe. In the UK, they have replaced older standards using imperial units, such as the British Standard Whitworth (BSW) standard. Metric bolt sizes are specified in millimetres and include the diameter, pitch, and length of a bolt.

Diameter
The first number in a metric bolt specification refers to the bolt's nominal outer diameter. For example, a bolt specified as "M6-1.0 x 30" fits a 6.0-mm diameter hole. The "M" indicates that it is a metric size. Keep in mind that metric bolts are usually slightly smaller than their specified diameter. For example, a M16 bolt is often 15.97 mm in diameter. This creates a small "clearance" that allows some flexibility for misaligned parts. In general, larger bolts are also stronger, though the bolt's material also plays an important role in its strength. Stainless steel bolts are weaker than hardened steel bolts of the same diameter.

Pitch
In the metric specification, the pitch refers to the distance between two adjacent threads in millimetres. The M6-1.0 bolt has a pitch of 1.0 mm. To convert pitch to "Threads per Inch" (TPI), multiply by 0.03937 to change the metric pitch to inches and then divide 1 by the resulting number. For example, a bolt's 1.0 mm pitch equals 0.0394 inches and results in a 25.40 TPI. The pitch also indicates whether it is a "fine" or "coarse" bolt. Metric fine bolts have a pitch of 1.5 mm or smaller. Bolts with a diameter of 24 mm and larger are exceptions, as a 2.0 mm pitch indicates a fine thread. The most common metric threads are coarse. If the bolt size does not specify pitch, assume it is coarse.

Length
The length of a bolt is the last number in its metric size specification. Using the same example, the M6-1.0 x 30 bolt has a length of 30 mm. Most bolts, including cheese, hex, pan, socket, button, and low socket head types, are measured from under the head to the tip of the bolt. However, the length of oval and flat head bolts includes their head height.
Velocettes (various)
Piaggio's / Honda's / Yamaha's
Raptor . . . . the List Goes On . . . .