Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2015, 01:39 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Will do Spud, but likely not until the weekend, and only if I manage to wake up early enough - they've gone and posted a heat advisory and now I understand why people put air conditioning in their garages. At this rate, I'm not going to get a chance to try to install my barkbusters (arriving sometime this week I think) without melting into a puddle next to the bike :P

Honestly not sure how hard one would have to tap the brackets with a hammer to move them - they are in such an awkward location I would think it would be difficult to get a decent swing in!
You may find it easier to put a car scissor jack or better yet, a hydraulic jack between the lugs and open them up. More control than swinging a hammer.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 06-16-2015, 01:41 AM   #32

The econobob way to make it easier to get RX3 up on center stand and a way to keep rear tire up off ground while cleaning and oiling chain. Put spacer board under rear tire and it lessons the effort needed to get it up on center stand as you don't have to lift it as far up cause the board already lifted R tire up 1-1/2". Use it lengthwise to prop up the swing arm to do chain maintenance or removing R tire. Used this on my recent 1000 mile trip at Hell's Canyon ADV Rally. I had made it for my Honda NX250 years ago and it works good on the Zong, RJ

Old 06-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #33

What a neat invention! You can also use it under the side stand to either keep the bike a little more upright (checking oil window if you have one) or to stop the side stand sinking into soft ground. You should patent it and get it into production.
Velocettes (various)
Piaggio's / Honda's / Yamaha's
Raptor . . . . the List Goes On . . . .

Old 06-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Will do Spud, but likely not until the weekend, and only if I manage to wake up early enough - they've gone and posted a heat advisory and now I understand why people put air conditioning in their garages. At this rate, I'm not going to get a chance to try to install my barkbusters (arriving sometime this week I think) without melting into a puddle next to the bike :P
A cheap Box fan will do wonders for you while working in your garage....
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 06-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRider View Post
You may find it easier to put a car scissor jack or better yet, a hydraulic jack between the lugs and open them up. More control than swinging a hammer.
It may be a little crude, but Vise Grips locked onto the tab will allow you to bend the tabs in or out as necessary. You can always lock the Vise Grips over a cloth if you're worried about the paint.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
I had made it for my Honda NX250 years ago and it works good on the Zong, RJ
RJ, do you still have your NX? If so, I'd love to see it. If you have pics, please start a new thread.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck369 View Post
A cheap Box fan will do wonders for you while working in your garage....
Oh I brought a fan into the garage last weekend - it helped some Now I also know why I see photos of people's bikes inside their houses

Old 06-16-2015, 11:40 AM   #38

RJ - what a great idea Will have to see if I can't find some wood scraps to make one of my own!

Weld & George: Thanks for the ideas - probably won't get a chance to work on the bike again until this weekend...I definitely have a scissor jack that might fit in that gap - and worst case, I go after the stand with a file...

Old 06-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
RJ, do you still have your NX? If so, I'd love to see it. If you have pics, please start a new thread.
Weld, no I don't have the NX any more. Great little bike. I think the RX3 is kinda a updated version of the NX. It was a 1988 i think and parts were getting harder to find and left me stranded a few times with the CDI acting up.

JTHSPACE, I'd patent it but since it's so easy to make, nah, I'll let you guys design and create a better one. It did come in handy fixing a rear flat this past week out in the boonies though. rj

Old 06-16-2015, 01:14 PM   #40

RJ, that's a great tip for making it easier to loft the bike on the center stand. In a pinch, one could also roll the rear tire onto a flat rock.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-26-2015, 10:06 PM   #41

Update time
I took a file after the stand....it took a while, but I eventually got it to fit.
getting the circlips on was a right pain in the posterior, but I managed eventually.

I forgot the loctite, but that screw took quite a bit to get on, as it had to cut its own threads into the hole in the frame...

Getting the spring on proved more challenging than anticipated - it's quite beefy and did not want to readily accept coinage....I eventually resorted to using some spectra cord along with another thicker cord for pulling on and we got the spring in place.

Here it is with the spectra dangling and the pennies still in place:

The stand does sit rather low, surprisingly so, even after I saw the photos from Fish, but since I'm new to riding, I don't think I'll be doing any crazy off road things any time soon

I had an assist to get it onto the stand, so haven't tried doing it myself just yet....but it's on I think I managed to scratch up the paint in a couple places while going at it with the file, debating on touching it up...the ends where I had to file are completely exposed, though the paint would just wear off during use in that location....and lets face it, it's a center stand...it's going to get dinged up.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:31 AM   #42

Thanks for posting the update. You got 'er done.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #43

Excellent job.

If you ever need to remove it and install it again, bend the spring to create a gap for coins. Try to alternate sides, so the spring doesn't create a big arc, and try dimes next time, because they're easier.

Some grease on the bare metal sections will thwart rust.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #44

Center stand

CSC installed my center stand when I picked up my RX3.

My only comment is that this point is that this is
the Most difficult bike to place on the center stand. I am a big, and very strong man who has owned 800 pound touring bikes and None were Half as hard to get on the center stand.

On the plus side the bike is very stable once you get it up, I just don't use it unless there is a good reason since it requires so much effort to use the center stand.

I'm glad that I ordered the center stand because to check the oil level, oil chain, check air pressure in tires, and remove a wheel.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Excellent job.

If you ever need to remove it and install it again, bend the spring to create a gap for coins. Try to alternate sides, so the spring doesn't create a big arc, and try dimes next time, because they're easier.

Some grease on the bare metal sections will thwart rust.
I should have greased it before install but was too excited to finally have it fit :P no idea if I'll ever manage to get the thing off again...

I did bend the spring to get the coins in....it just didn't seem to make much of a gap.

I do have a tube of white lithium grease, I could try to squeeze some into place... That's probably better than doing nothing at all