Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #1

Doh! Lifan G15 Sport Oil Questions *HELP*

Hey forum people! New member here because I just got my first bike and it's a Lifan G15 Sport 150cc enduro.

I can't find anything online about what kind of oil it takes or how to change the oil myself. Does anyone know what kind of oil and possibly know a video anywhere or pictures on how to change it? I am a junior in college and got the bike to have some fun (mid-college crisis).

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #2

If it's a brand new one, I suggest replacing it ASAP - I used Mobil Synthetic Motorcycle oil 10w-40 I live in Michigan and then I replaced it again at about 600 miles. You should be able to see what color it is through the window on the right hand side. Above that, you should see a screw cap. Probably has a raised "Flat" to help you unscrew it. Warm the engine before draining. It will help drain.
Underneath the engine there should be a large bolt, right in the middle. Put something under it before you unscrew it though. Drain out the old crap, refit the bolt and fill with the bike upright. Check level in the window. Note how much you used, then you will know better for the next time.

Be better if you put some pictures of your bike/engine - especially the right side, and maybe underneath, There also might be an oil screen on the left. pics..pics..pics
1995 Harley Davidson Chopper build from ground up.
1983 Yamaha XJ900 REBUILT!
1971 Triumph Daytona 500 - Restored
1987 Yamaha FJ1200

Old 06-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #3

Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

I like the 15W/40 motor oil used for commercial diesel trunks. In particular, I use Mobil, Delvac, 15W/40 motor oil in all my motorcycles.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-03-2015, 11:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

I like the 15W/40 motor oil used for commercial diesel trunks. In particular, I use Mobil, Delvac, 15W/40 motor oil in all my motorcycles.
Completely agree, the 15w/40 diesel oils seem to be great! I've been using Delo 400LE since I got my bike and have REALLY put the bike through its paces. My local auto store always seems to have one of the diesel oils on sale for around 12 bucks. Last time it was the Delo 400LE, but this time it was Mobil Delvac 1300 so I picked that up instead. You really cant go wrong with any of them!

Old 06-04-2015, 12:39 AM   #5

Awesome! Yeah I found the specs on the side of the bike. I am gonna go with the 10 w 40 oil for now. I have so many questions about this bike. Would this post be a good place to just place my questions or should I start a new thread about the Lifan 150GY-3a? I can't find anything on the internet about this bike. I have attached some basic pics of my bike just for shits and gigs but I will be posting specific pics tomorrow when I actually get under the bike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike.jpg (97.7 KB, 873 views)
File Type: jpg Bike 2.jpg (95.2 KB, 824 views)

Old 06-04-2015, 01:02 AM   #6

Welcome!

Put the bike on the side stand, and locate the rather large nut on the left side, down near the shifter. Remove it, and a screen, a spring and a litre of oil will follow. Clean the screen, pop it and the spring back in, and replace the cap. Be gentle; the cap can easily crack and be useless.

Don't trust the dipstick. Hold the bike upright, and use the sight glass to tell you when you've added enough oil.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-04-2015, 05:07 AM   #7

Last edited by humanbeing; 08-17-2016 at 03:36 AM.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:33 AM   #8

CB or CG ?

Old 06-04-2015, 06:11 AM   #9

that motor looks identical to my boys Honda CRF150F..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 06-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #10

I'm a newbee to new bikes too. I'm still breaking mine in.

However, in my reading I came across those who say not to move to a synthetic oil during break-in because it is too slippery and will lead to the cylinder wall glazing instead of allowing the micro-grooves to wear down to have nice flat tops (or sides rather).

Hopefully, I have not resurrected a long standing debate.

Also mentioned was that occasionally taking the rev's over 5k (for short duration) is actually good for cylinder smoothing (break-in) as long as you don't bog it down and overly heat the engine.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #11

I have heard the same thing about using synthetic oil during engine break-in, and it does make sense. Another factor to consider is the engine oil will be changed quickly during engine break-in, and one doesn't need to spend the extra money for the long-lasting qualities of synthetic oil until the break-in process is completed.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
[youtube]lyhfqa3QP5k[/youtube]
This video saved me about 100 dollars. Update: changed oil, tightened exhaust (came loose again cuz no washer, I'm an idiot) and getting to know the bike a little more. Anyone know where I can get a rim for these bikes?

Old 06-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #13

You are very fortunate to have this site and these guys offering very good information. I can't answer your question on a rim, but I would like to know what you paid for the bike and where you got it and your opinion of them at this point.

One more point, most of the new cars are coming with what they say is a full synthetic, how would we know if they were telling the truth? Below is a short article from a penzoil site.

Myth: You should break in your engine with conventional oil before you start using synthetic oil. Again, there's no manufacturer we're aware of that makes this recommendation. Mercedes, Porsche, Corvette, some Cadillacs, Volkswagen, Hyundai and many other manufacturers' cars come from the factory with synthetic oil.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld View Post
You are very fortunate to have this site and these guys offering very good information. I can't answer your question on a rim, but I would like to know what you paid for the bike and where you got it and your opinion of them at this point.

One more point, most of the new cars are coming with what they say is a full synthetic, how would we know if they were telling the truth? Below is a short article from a penzoil site.

Myth: You should break in your engine with conventional oil before you start using synthetic oil. Again, there's no manufacturer we're aware of that makes this recommendation. Mercedes, Porsche, Corvette, some Cadillacs, Volkswagen, Hyundai and many other manufacturers' cars come from the factory with synthetic oil.
I got the bike on craigslist for $500 bucks! I like the bike. It has 3,000 miles on it. Yeah, I used regular valvoline oil.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealWorld View Post
Car engines are now manufactured to such good tollerances, there is no real need to "run in" an engine like you used to have to do a few (many) years ago.

For air-cooled motorbikes, there is a thought that you should "ride it like it is stolen" from day one to quickly get the rough edges off everything. Running it in slowly will "glaze" the barrel and you will never get the rings to bed-in properly - well, it is one opinion and there are many others as well so I am not recommending it over any other choice EXCEPT change the oil regularly.

Jeff
Velocettes (various)
Piaggio's / Honda's / Yamaha's
Raptor . . . . the List Goes On . . . .

Tags
enduro, g15, lifan, oil, oil change