Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #1

Beast ready to go

I hope to take a run this weekend. I got my performance shocks and they were both empty. The valve unscrewed with the cap on one suggesting it never was filled. Waiting for a repy on that.

I read somewhere about a concern regarding the relashionship of the front and back wheels. On my beast the right front wheel extends a little further out than the rear..looks normal....but on the left, the front wheell is much furhter outboard. My chain alignment looks good and if I were tempted to tweak it it would only make this problem worse. That asumes the sprocket and axle move in unison?? I have not examined it yet. Is this just a nuance of the beast?

Thx
Waynec

Old 10-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #2

I thought my front to back wheel relationship was also bad on my beast, it just turned out to be an optical illusion on mine, put a straight edge on the rear tires and then check if the fronts are in the right spot.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #3

I am going now to fill the shocks with air. I know what it says... but how else can you troubleshoot any possible leak. Not paying for nitro 2 or 3 times......waynec

Old 10-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #4

Good call, you can purge the air out later and fill with nitrogen once your sure they don't leak.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #5

beware the performance shocks.......the air leaked out of one as fast as I could pump it in and the other would not get past 80psi and would hold for less that 3 minutes. The worst leak was around the red disc that fits in the reserve cylinder.
This is your problem as well isn't it wayne. Any news from John on your front?
waynec

Old 10-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #6

Hmmm, sounds like a lot of the shocks are bad. I would be willing to bet that most people don't even check them. Hopefully they will replace them. Think I will hold off on ordering a set for a bit...

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #7

Great! I have a set coming already.

Just the fronts or the rear too with the leaking issue? Anybody know?

Will advise all when they arrive..

Old 10-31-2009, 10:03 AM   #8

I have just found out that my friend has a whole bunch of tools for shock rebuilding, i'll try and get to his place this weekend. My shocks are leaking around that red cap too, my guess is that cap needs to be pressed down a bit to get that snap ring out and then i'm guessing it will just be an easy o-ring replacement.
I'll take pics of my progress if he's home this weekend.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
I have just found out that my friend has a whole bunch of tools for shock rebuilding, i'll try and get to his place this weekend. My shocks are leaking around that red cap too, my guess is that cap needs to be pressed down a bit to get that snap ring out and then i'm guessing it will just be an easy o-ring replacement.
I'll take pics of my progress if he's home this weekend.
Please do, I would like to get a set but if they don't hold n2 I might as well mod the stockers...

Regards,
Stew

Old 10-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #10

John has responded to my inquiry with a request for 'pictures of whats wrong with my shocks' Whats a picture going to show?

Anyway, I offered to deal with the problem if he would send brief instruction along with whatever seals will be required. They must have a bad batch and this would seem the easiest way for him to be rid of the hassle.

His asking for pics has induced some unease in me. My order for the rear shock has yet to be paid. I hope this works out.

waynec

Old 10-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynec
John has responded to my inquiry with a request for 'pictures of whats wrong with my shocks' Whats a picture going to show?

Anyway, I offered to deal with the problem if he would send brief instruction along with whatever seals will be required. They must have a bad batch and this would seem the easiest way for him to be rid of the hassle.

His asking for pics has induced some unease in me. My order for the rear shock has yet to be paid. I hope this works out.

waynec
I'm hoping this issue gets resolved as well.
On mine, the snap ring is sitting below the bottom of the can, in other words, underneath instead of overtop. I cant see how I'm supposed to repair it without prying the living daylights out of it.

My other concern is that "can" portion that is supposed to hold like 250psi is factory crimped, looks like it to me, and the snap ring may only be for secondary retention.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:03 PM   #12

I've had both shocks apart and will be posting a Shock Repair thread in a little.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #13

Then I stand corrected and am quite happy to be wrong.

Looking forward to it!!

Old 10-31-2009, 01:49 PM   #14

OK, it's up now.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #15

I went for a very good run on the beast today. Needs some alignment tweaks but for the most part runs very well.

It may be of interest to some that my Performance carb came with the clip in the very bottom location. Based on my reading this site, before I installed the carb I took the clip to the middle then 1/2 hour later up one more...so second from top. Ran like crap would hardly accelerate and no idle. Finaly in frustration Put it back to the lowest location and 3 minutes of carb adjustment later the machine ran perfect.

Waynec