Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #1

Front wheel offset

I swear the wheels on my beast don't line up front to back. On the right side the front wheel is about an inch further outboard than the rear. No problem. On the left.... the front wheel is about 3 inches further outboard than the rear. This can't be good. I am on the verge of cutting a spacer to shim the rear wheel so the bike is in balance....but before I do that I just want to know if anyone else has a similar situation.

I butted a straight edge tight up against the rear tires and on the left side the line runs right through the middle of the front tread. On the right it just clips the tire by about 3/4 inch.

Waynev suspected a similar problem, but dismissed it as optical illusion. I find it odd that there never seems to be any full front pics of the beast on the Gio site and wonder if this is an inherent problem they prefer not to display. Any advice welcomed.

right side

left side

Old 11-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #2

Yup, I noticed that mine looks a little off kilter as well. But, the chain seems to run straight so I am guessing everything is in line. I suspect it might be just the way they are made?

P.S. Though the handling is kind of unique... I can see how they got the quads name. My sons steers much better (Mini Beast). I still have to set the caster and camber though if I ever get time.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #3

After seeing this I had to go check of course. I have approx. 1" difference from drivers side to pass. side.

Drivers side front is wider by 2" than rear, and pass. side front is wider than rear by 1".

My front/rear sprocket alingnment is perfect.

So..it may be frame, or it may be cumulative error from front to rear, but I dont like it.

What to do about it is another matter. Have to think about this.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
After seeing this I had to go check of course. I have approx. 1" difference from drivers side to pass. side.

Drivers side front is wider by 2" than rear, and pass. side front is wider than rear by 1".

My front/rear sprocket alingnment is perfect.

So..it may be frame, or it may be cumulative error from front to rear, but I dont like it.

What to do about it is another matter. Have to think about this.
When I originally received mine I thought it had a bent frame because of the offset and the shipping crate was really really trashed. The angle iron was even bent up. But then I noticed that the other Beast's looked the same so I didn't worry about it. It looks like it would be a major deal to try to correct so I won't bother . Seems they are all like this from what I have seen.

Edit: Is it possible that the rear axle being out of whack could cause this? Couldn't really though, because the chain would be skewed I think.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #5

I just checked mine, and it's nearly bang on. Could this be the problem for you guys? http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=7702

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #6

We were just playing with the front end on mine, and eyeballing the back wheels and it didn't seem out to me. The original assembler did put a spacer/washer in the back end which W&G noticed as we were loading on the truck.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I just checked mine, and it's nearly bang on. Could this be the problem for you guys? http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=7702
Hmm, so the shims would move the whole axle and swingarm over? Good to know and thank you for the link.

Regards,
Stew

Do you think it will go in a straight line now? (JK)

Old 11-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Regards,
Stew

No, they have way too much damn power for that.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Regards,
Stew

Lol! You slay me!

Old 11-23-2009, 01:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Regards,
Stew

Lol! You slay me!
All kidding aside I took mine for a couple minor street burns today after the W&G installed improvements and it feels like a rocketship compared to before. Wants to pop the wheels in second, which I wouldn't allow due to me being without brain bucket.. can't wait to get 'er going somewhere less illegal.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
No matter which way you slice it, if the front and rear sprockets are lined up nicely, then its going to be tough to correct a major difference.

The engine. Engine is the key here, it just hit me as I was typing. If we could unbolt the engine and slide it toward the side with the most offset (to reduce it) then we can move/shim the rear axle to "follow the engine" so to speak.
Maybe there is room for adjustment on the engine mounting holes but if not then I'm sure they could be opened up, or elongated.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #12

I agree Pete, although I think there's another angle.

When I received my Beast, there was considerable shipping damage, likely caused by a forklift (John at Gio was excellent through all of this). I ended up replacing the swingarm and bushings (because there was only one bushing in there :roll: ), and that's when I noticed the dissimilar widths of the swingarm and axle.

Since my new swingarm had never been bolted in and connected to the axle, it had never been forced to accomodate the axle and the chain. I cut some spacers before ever installing the new swingarm, so it remained straight.

My guess is that you guys with front wheel offset will also find that the hub to hub distance is dissimilar from side to side. I think that both issues are caused by forcing the swingarm to meet the axle, and then installing a chain. As you pointed out Pete, the front to rear sprocket relationship is most important, and I think that the swingarm can be adjusted around it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #13

Turbo, you wrote......
The original assembler did put a spacer/washer in the back end which W&G noticed as we were loading on the truck.

Could you post a little more info on this spacer. My plan was to shim the left rear wheel 1 3/4 using some laminated hardwood and epoxy. Doing that along with W&G's axle shim idea(thx) should bring me about perfect.....thx....waynec

Old 11-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #14

T, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here...

waynec, the spacer/washer T speaks of is just a standard fender washer in between the swingarm and the axle. It looks as if the PO tried to correct the swingarm to axle difference, but we'll do it properly at our next quad service day.

What is the benefit to hardwood over steel tube?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:03 AM   #15

Oh no.....I will use a similar spacer to yours is that spot. I'm refering to a disc 1 1/2 thick to fit on the wheel hub. I will drill for the wheel studs and shape it to accept the wheel snugly. It would be aluminum for most people I suspect, but I have the material and tools to handle the hardwood and am a little less intimidated by it to be honest....waynec