Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2023, 01:18 PM   #1

Threads Stripped Stator Cover

Well, I finally tore into the malfunctioning stator on my Hawk DLX. I backed out the bolts holding it on finding several of them to be incredibly loose. Not thinking much of it, I replaced the stator, cleaned off the MASSIVE amount of RTV the prior owner had used instead of replacing the gasket, and set to putting the cover back on.

This is when things turned from hopeful to disappointing. It seem that the prior owner used a hammer drill or the like and tore the threads out, so several of the bolts just push in place with zero threads to pull against at all.

I'm contemplating my options here and would appreciate constructive suggestions. Any of you been here before? What'd you do? As importantly, what would you avoid doing?

I'm really wishing I'd never have purchased this bike. It's been great for learning, but every step forward seems to be two steps back.

Old 05-23-2023, 01:57 PM   #2

The proper way to fix such threads is to drill them out a bit bigger then use a thread repair insert like Timesert (better)or Helicoil (easier to find).

A way that often works and doesn't require as much time and money is to try and use coarse thread 1/4" SAE bolts. They are just a tad larger than 6mm (guessing at what you are working with) and have different threads. The best way to try them is with a thread chaser style tap, NOT a thread cutting tap. A thread chaser tends to force aluminum into shape versus how a regular tap cuts it away. You can't afford to lose more thread material. Admittedly, neat as they are to have, most folks don't have a set of thread chasers. So just try threading such bolts in. I've done it. It will either work or not. If you can get one to work for you then you probably want to replace all those bolts with something that doesn't look like it was scavenged from a dishwasher or something. Take your sample bolt to about any hardware store and match the size and thread you need with some allen head bolts. If the bolts don't tighten up enough to give you warm and fuzzies but do sort of tighten, give each a drop of blue LocTite and like as not they will be fine.

A rather jackleg method is to strip a fine stranded copper wire so you can get at the strands. Clip some off and put them in the hole. Then force the original bolt to thread in past them (with a drop of LocTite is best) until the bolt is "snug". Not tight, if you really tighten it it will just pull everything out again. But after the LocTite sets it will probably not fall off.

In an emergency situation I've clipped the pointy ends off a zip tie or two and forced them into the hole with the bolt like the copper wire method. Which sometimes worked, at least for a while.

There are epoxy fixes that you can thread into but the one time I experimented with one it didn't hold for me. Might work in a different situation though.

Old 05-23-2023, 02:12 PM   #3

Helicoils are way more than sufficient for the task. You just need to find the right sizes for the depth of the holes. Those bolts don't get torqued very tightly anyway (5 to 6 ft/lbs or 60 to 72 in/lb).

Other option would be to drill and tap for a larger bolt.

I would personally do the helicoils.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-24-2023, 12:39 PM   #4

Many Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. The bolts seem to be a mix 45mm and 50mm. The helicoil would need to be recessed back to where the threads are on the bolt or I just go with M6 bolts that are threaded the entire way.

I'm leaning toward helicoils and seeing what I can do to to keep the stock bolts.

Tags
stator, stripped, threads