Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2019, 10:50 PM   #1

Not Again, Dude...

So my wife has threatened to divorce me, shut off the internet and start going to work on important parts of my body with very blunt heavy objects (although not necessarily all in that order) if she catches me on Craigslist for at least the next four months... This beauty followed me home yesterday. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. $650 and I have a clean and clear Arizona title. It didn't run when I got it, and I got it to at least run well enough to ride it around the block. The rear cylinder is only firing for about two or three cycles every 4 seconds or so. After some quick searching on the interwebs, the general consensus is that it's the ignition pickup coil. I have a new stator and pickup assembly on the way, along with a new case gasket and a new voltage regulator. All for $80. Amazon is a great thing. I'll keep everyone posted as to how this one comes along. And for everyone keeping score at home, this makes motorcycle #6 for me. To be fair, it only makes the 4th that's rideable. The other two are either in very tiny pieces off the frame (scrambler) or the victim of a locked up engine (CB450).

http://chinariders.net/attachment.ph...1&d=1555296283
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57687399535__EF7917AC-F3FF-4B67-B2B5-6505531144B2.jpg (97.7 KB, 447 views)

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 04-14-2019, 11:41 PM   #2

Good looking bike. is it a 650?

Old 04-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #3

Yes, it is indeed a 650. After poking around a ton of the V-Star forums, it seems like the 650's are notorious for blowing the pickup coils. One day it rides just fine, next day it won't fire up or will only fire on one cylinder.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 04-15-2019, 12:55 AM   #4

Those are my favorite kind of bikes to flip. Buy for $650, spend a couple hundred making it road worthy, sell for a couple thousand. I suspect you didn't buy it for that purpose, but just tell your wife it could have a 300% return on investment and she might calm down a bit lol.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:18 AM   #5

Good score.

I do believe that I mentioned that it is easy to hide another bike from the missus in the garage, but I meant bicycle.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-15-2019, 07:19 AM   #6

Dan, That was the original plan. Buy it for $650, spend a weekend setting it back to rights and cleaning/polishing/etc, then turn it loose for the $1,800 or so it's actually worth. (Maybe a touch more since it has aftermarket Cobra pipes) Once I got it home and started tinkering, it's kind of growing on both of us. She likes that she can put her feet on the ground from the front seat (that potentially means she'll be able to ride it), and that the back seat has a comfy backrest. All in all, I think this one might stay in the stable after all. For the price, it's tough to beat.

Cheesy, The house is almost done, and I have an absolutely cavernous (relatively speaking for houses out here in Arizona) 3-car garage. There's also a storage area that could have been another bedroom had we selected the option on the floorplan. Once we get into the new place, hiding anther bike might not be that much trouble. Maybe. Shucks, who am I kidding, the toddler is going to rat me out first chance he gets. He's undoubtedly going to want to show Mommy the shiny new toy Daddy brought home and let him sit on. Oh well, guess there are going to be more than a few of those conversations in my future...

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 04-15-2019, 07:38 AM   #7

Nice Score! Why can't I run across a deal like that? Well I do but always sold by the time I find them.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #8

Hey Emerikol,
When you go to buy furniture for your house, don’t go cheap on the couch! More motorcycles might require some “Couch Camping”!

But it will probably be worth it!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #9

sweeeet! I try to stay off there cause I'd do the same!

Old 04-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbo7106 View Post
Hey Emerikol,
When you go to buy furniture for your house, don’t go cheap on the couch! More motorcycles might require some “Couch Camping”!

But it will probably be worth it!
Kirb, no worries there, we have a really nice sectional! I seriously think this is going to have to be the last one for a while, though (nevermind I said the EXACT same thing about the Scrambler, and again about the CB450). Not only do I seriously have nowhere to put it, but it's really starting to get hectic out here with the move into the new house coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Nice Score! Why can't I run across a deal like that? Well I do but always sold by the time I find them.
Jerry, the deals are out there all the time. I just hop on craigslist and set the max price filter. I usually set it for $1,500 and see what stones turn over. A lot of them are people selling scrap metal for a gold mine, usually with wording like "No lowballers, I know what I've got..." I suppose you just have to take your chances and check in often. Thanks for the happy thoughts!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 04-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #11

Yeah, I tend to breeze right past the "I know what I've got" postings. It may be a decently solid bike, but they tend to be too rigid with their too highly priced bike to get any sort of deal. The funny part is, they also tend to stay listed for several months, with only the smallest drop in price.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:12 PM   #12

I wish you'd talk to me first. I've worked on a bunch of Vstar 650s and I currently own one. Those stators and pickups are crap usually. Do it once or do again. The best are from https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/ and give a bit more output. The OE stuff could barely run the bike.

If you have to go into the carbs, there are two little O-rings in there under the jet standoff tubes. Remove them if they haven't turned into a tar-like substance and don't replace them. They cause all kinds of running issues by restricting the fuel flow.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:23 AM   #13

Thanks for the advice, Ben. I ordered a Caltric kit from Amazon. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the advice on the carb o-rings, too. I'm going to pull the carbs back out when the parts come in later today and do the valves while I have the rest of the bike apart. I thought it might be carbs to start with, so I cleaned them up first thing. When I didn't get any improvement, I consulted the interwebs and discovered the issue with the pickup coil. Apparently that's a really big failure point on these bikes. I think I may just order an extra side cover gasket and pickup coil to toss in the saddlebags, just in case I ever get stranded out on the road somewhere. Really looking the bike over carefully, it seems that this has been an ongoing problem for a while. The exhaust pipe for the rear cylinder is really heavily blued about 2/3'rds of the way back. That indicates a lot of heat, which means the cylinder wasn't firing properly, and the combustion was happening out in the pipe and not in the chamber. It was ridden like that for a while to do that kind of, not really damage, but to leave those kinds of marks on the pipe. In any event, I hope to have the bike up and running by the weekend.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 04-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #14

The Rick's Motorsports stuff is expensive, but well worth the extra money. It is probably the best aftermarket charging system stuff on the market. I have used their reg recs on more than one bike, and I upgraded my stator on my GL1000 with one of their units after a different brand I used failed after about a year. 5 years of service before I sold it and not a single problem.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Thanks for the advice, Ben. I ordered a Caltric kit from Amazon. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the advice on the carb o-rings, too. I'm going to pull the carbs back out when the parts come in later today and do the valves while I have the rest of the bike apart. I thought it might be carbs to start with, so I cleaned them up first thing. When I didn't get any improvement, I consulted the interwebs and discovered the issue with the pickup coil. Apparently that's a really big failure point on these bikes. I think I may just order an extra side cover gasket and pickup coil to toss in the saddlebags, just in case I ever get stranded out on the road somewhere. Really looking the bike over carefully, it seems that this has been an ongoing problem for a while. The exhaust pipe for the rear cylinder is really heavily blued about 2/3'rds of the way back. That indicates a lot of heat, which means the cylinder wasn't firing properly, and the combustion was happening out in the pipe and not in the chamber. It was ridden like that for a while to do that kind of, not really damage, but to leave those kinds of marks on the pipe. In any event, I hope to have the bike up and running by the weekend.

Check the valves while you're at it. They can tighten up and cause bluing on the pipes. Also, the jetting could be off. If you need a shop manual, I have one in PDF format I could send you. PM me your email.