Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #1

'15 Jeep Patriot sport.."Time to start a 'Riot"

As mentioned in the What did you buy? thread last month i recently picked this up.

Specs:

2015 Jeep Patriot Sport
2.4 4 cyl (same as the Dodge Avenger it replaced)
6 speed auto trans (Recommended drivetrain in these jeeps)
Freedom Drive 1 real time 4wd with 4wd lock for 50/50 power distribution. Standard configuration in normal driving is Fwd with 70/30 distribution when 4wd is needed.
As basic as my Chevy C10 in terms of options. Crank windows, AM/FM radio with CD player. Air conditioning.

Upgrades already on Jeep at time of purchase:

215/70R16 Motomaster Total Terrain W/T mud and snow tires. (28" diameter. Stock tire size is 205/70R16 which is just a bit over 27")
Tinted windows...(need to redo some of it however)

Planned upgrades:

Rocky Road outfitters (RRO) 2 1/8" Lift kit
RRO Stage 1 bumper kit (Adds a grill guard to the front without hurting approach angle at front end.)
Alternator from Jeep patriot with Freedom Drive 2 drivetrain (Higher output)
McLeod Fabrication Tow Hook kit
McLeod Fabrication Rear tow point brace kit with Shackle
McLeod Fabrication Pod mounts to install lights near windshield. (Still deciding if i am going single or dual.)
ARB surface mount lighter socket to add a second power point in the interior (May end up adding three of these. One switched off of key for phones and two that is full time off of battery. One inside console and one in rear cargo area)
Either FD2 metal skid plate or custom bash plate over stock plastic skid.
Inverter in rear cargo area (location to be determined)
Mopar factory fog lights in bumper (Pic of red Jeep shows what those look like)

Since we all like pics...here are a couple from when i first got it. Been too cold to do a proper photo shoot of it yet.

Here are some pics of the planned parts:

Mcleod Fabrication Dual pod mount (Single is the same but this was the pic that actually showed it installed)

Mcleod Fab tow hook kit and rear brace kit

RRO Stage 1 bumper kit

Series 2 Patriot like mine with the RRO Lift kit installed to show idea of what it will look like lifted.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 02-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #2

If those came with solid axles and a lot more ground clearance, I would buy one. Other wise, nice vehicles.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
If those came with solid axles and a lot more ground clearance, I would buy one. Other wise, nice vehicles.
I do not mind the lack of solid axles and the lack of ground clearance is helped a bit by the install of the RRO lift kit when the time comes. Granted i am not doing any major heavy off road with it. More back roads and mild trails.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 02-04-2018, 07:53 AM   #4

I'd gotten a couple of these as rentals in the past. The first one had the CVT tranny in it and in my mechanics' eyes, it worked fine. Must have been my wasted youth on snowmobiles.

My sister in N. Wisconsin has one and will most likely run the wheels off of it.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 02-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
I'd gotten a couple of these as rentals in the past. The first one had the CVT tranny in it and in my mechanics' eyes, it worked fine. Must have been my wasted youth on snowmobiles.

My sister in N. Wisconsin has one and will most likely run the wheels off of it.
From what i understand the CVT was a weak design hence why it was replaced in '14 with the 6 speed as the standard trans. I believe the 6 speed was optional from '11 when the Series II Patriots came out. The Freedom Drive II version of the model kept the CVT all the way through till end of production. Pretty good chance i will end up running the wheels off of this one in due time as well. What is amusing is that the wife wants a Series II Patriot of her own at some point. Could very well happen by the time this one and her Soul are paid off. However that will be a flat out cash purchase more then likely. I would love to find a Compass Rallye edition at some point.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 02-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #6

Welcome to the Jeep addiction. We got a Wrangler a few months ago.
Sounds like you have some great mods planned. We have added some nerf bars but not much else.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Sounds like you have some great mods planned. We have added some nerf bars but not much else.
What he said.

I'm going on eight years of ownership and have yet to succumb to the syndrome known as Just Empty Every Pocket. My few additions have been HD shocks, roll bar grab straps, mirror relocation kit, and a bluetooth radio.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 02-04-2018, 11:44 PM   #8

Congrats on the little Jeeplet.
I bought a brand new 2016 Patriot "Sport" FWD 2.0L / CVT trans in July of 2016.
Got a good deal on it I think. $16k for a brand new vehicle.
I looked into the RRO stuff, it seems like very high quality items.
I did not install the 2" lift, but went ahead and had a set of 235/70R16 Kumho AT's put on. Those tires are frigg'n AWESOME for the low low price you pay for them! ( mind you I do not "go mudding", just fire roads, on the farm, and gave them a heck of a snow & Ice workout! )
18 months later and I still like my little Jeeplet. The 2.0L / CVT combo kinda sucks pulling the 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer! (I only pull in manual shift mode and staying out of overdrive!) But other than that, I cant really fault it any.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12 01 2017 1.jpg (58.8 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg 01 16 2018.jpg (90.8 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg 12 11 2017.jpg (96.8 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg 12 01 2017 2.jpg (97.0 KB, 429 views)

Old 02-05-2018, 07:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Thanks! Still getting used to the idea of being a Jeep owner. I have had a few other 4wds in the past. Mostly S10 Blazers, one full size Blazer and a couple full size GMC pickups. Always wanted one so when this one came up i had to jump on it as it was in my price range. Eventually i want to pick up a square Headlight Wrangler (YJ up here in canada) or a TJ to go alongside it for some plans i have. Either way which ever other Jeep i end up with i will probably keep it to stock tire size so it can share tires with the patriot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
What he said.

I'm going on eight years of ownership and have yet to succumb to the syndrome known as Just Empty Every Pocket. My few additions have been HD shocks, roll bar grab straps, mirror relocation kit, and a bluetooth radio.
Yea i was warned about that syndrome....and my wallet is already freaking out about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Angel View Post
Congrats on the little Jeeplet.
I bought a brand new 2016 Patriot "Sport" FWD 2.0L / CVT trans in July of 2016.
Got a good deal on it I think. $16k for a brand new vehicle.
I looked into the RRO stuff, it seems like very high quality items.
I did not install the 2" lift, but went ahead and had a set of 235/70R16 Kumho AT's put on. Those tires are frigg'n AWESOME for the low low price you pay for them! ( mind you I do not "go mudding", just fire roads, on the farm, and gave them a heck of a snow & Ice workout! )
18 months later and I still like my little Jeeplet. The 2.0L / CVT combo kinda sucks pulling the 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer! (I only pull in manual shift mode and staying out of overdrive!) But other than that, I cant really fault it any.

Nice Patriot! Did not realize they still used the CVT with the 2.0. Must have been a 2.4 upgrade only in '14 when they standardized the Hyundai designed 6 speed. But one thing that is nice is that they also standardized the Freedom Drive II springs on the Series IIs all across the board. Are you able to run a full size spare in yours? That is one thing that has me wanting to stay with the 215/70R16 size so i can run a full size spare in the stock spare tire well. If it came down to it i suppose i could convert the spare tire well into tool storage and just strap down the spare to the load floor. There have been times i have already considered the idea of spacers to run 215/85R16 tires on the OE rims to have a "Pizza cutter" set up as some Land Rover owners put it. Tall and skinny tires for clawing through snow and mud. One way i could get around the spare problem is building a false floor to have a flat platform above it for my various containers that contain tools and other required items for expo duty. Downside to this idea is the fact that the lift up panel for the spare well takes up the entire floor. So i would need to be careful what i actually kept in the well.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 02-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #10

Finally figured out which version of the pod mounts i am going with. Knowing myself as well as i do i would order the singles and wished i ordered the dual. So i am going to go with the dual mount as shown in the pic above. The idea here is this.. two of them will be aimed straight ahead like the bumper lights and the other lights. Two would be aimed slightly outwards as "Ditch lights". One area that the wife and i travel in frequently has problems with deer crossing suddenly. Having that extra lighting just adds peace of mind. As weather permitted i have taken some time to kind of look around in the interior to figure out where i could mount the ARB socket and figure out how i am going to do my switches for my lighting and rally horns.

The front ARB will be mounted in the indentation on the passenger side of the shifter housing. Have also decided it will be live all the time. I may still end up adding a toggle switch near it as a remote shut off but i am not tapping into the Jeeps electrical to avoid problems down the road.

As for switches and horn button. The idea there is that they will be installed into a small plastic project box and the box itself will be mounted to a Proclip dash mount for cell phones. This avoids adding unneeded holes into the interior plastic.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-03-2018, 01:38 AM   #11

So 6 months later into Patriot ownership and i am still very much enjoying it. I have learned along the way that the Patriot shares the same curvature in its front bumper skin as a GMT400 full size truck. What this means is the old off road light mounting bar i have in my parts bin from my old GMT400s will work for this vehicle. This will give me a lower profile light mounting solution.

So the plan atm is this.

Baja Designs Squadron Sport off road lights on a Smittybilt Street light bar (old GMT400 part) on the front end. And either another pair of the same lights on the windshield mount i listed before. May end up being duals like originally planned. Thus a total of 8 of the squad sports at max. However with 4 of them at the bumper at most i will only need a pair up there.

The above lights will be controlled by a Trigger wireless remote control system. This system is run by both a remote in the cab or by my phone with an App. The system has 4 outputs on it. So if i do end up adding a light bar on the roof or some rear mounted aux reverse lights i will have an output for that eventual add on.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-04-2018, 09:21 AM   #12

Cool. I rarely see a modded Patriot around here.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #13

Irony being what it is. I seen where i mentioned getting a Yj in this thead.. Fast forward to september and what do i end up adding to the collection? A YJ.... Now with that said some revisions to the original plan. Still a fair bit of mods. In fact more overland oriented mods after some conversations with a buddy who has a heavily modded Land Cruiser and an Expo prepped Tundra. He pointed out i would be best off for the type of overlanding i plan on doing i am best off sticking to this Jeep and running my '86 Jimmy as a secondary overlander.

So with that said.... Here is the revised planned mod list

Rough Country 2" Suspension lift (instead of RRO)
RRO Stage 2 bumper kit with hidden winch
Alternator from Jeep patriot with Freedom Drive 2 drivetrain (Higher output)
McLeod Fabrication Tow Hook kit
McLeod Fabrication Rear tow point brace kit with Shackle
McLeod Fabrication Dual Pod mounts to install lights near windshield.
ARB surface mount lighter socket in rear cargo area.

Either FD2 metal skid plate or custom bash plate over stock plastic skid.
Inverter in rear cargo area mounted in left rear corner opposite the storage pocket on right side.
Mopar factory fog lights in bumper retrofitted with LED or HID bulbs
Trigger switch system or custom switch box on a Ram Mount pole bolted to the passenger seat.

215/70R16 tires (Still deciding between Nokian Rotiivas or BFG All terrains) This will allow me to keep my spare tire well intact for carrying spare tires.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 12-31-2018, 05:30 PM   #14

Well an update on the Storm Trooper (will explain the name at a later point and yes part of it is a Star Wars reference..)

It goes in in a few days to get a new alt as the original one crapped out a couple weeks ago and i have been alternating between the Kia and the Astro ever since. Since i planned on moving to the 140 amp alt from the FDII Patriots this is the perfect time for this.

So current upgrades after the install:

Two way remote starter that i got as a christmas gift

FDII 140 Amp alternator

Next upgrade will most likely be an Odyssey AGM battery. However i may see what space i have in the battery area under the hood to see if i can mildly modify the battery tray to accept a more common battery size like what is used in my GM vehicles.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #15

Well this project has come to conclusion as i traded the jeep off for a full size truck. Will be posting a thread on that truck shortly.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote: