Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2019, 12:54 AM   #1

Delete

Delete

Last edited by Ski_rush; 04-21-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:05 AM   #2

Glad you are ok! I always say just sheet metal and plastic. As I age, I become more cautious as my family depends on me, and sometimes over cautious. We are all human. Take care and get well! Many moons ago, while I was riding a 750 triple Yamaha, a car pulled out in front of me, yup laid it down. Many moons ago, another car pulled out in front of me, hit it square in the passenger door, flew over the hood. Both times I was lucky. Anyways, take care and get healed up! Your family loves you and needs you.

Last edited by wedooit; 04-20-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:33 AM   #3

What you are feeling is pretty normal. I have been down a few times. Some slow speed, once at 75mph. Good quality proper riding gear is worth its weight in gold when you need it, as you found out.

Take the time to just clear your head and let it pass. You managed to walk away with a few bumps and scrapes, which is great news to hear.

Usually a persons first encounter with a decent crash or close call is the make it or break it point for riding. When I wrecked on the highway at 75 it took me a few weeks until I was able to get back on a bike. I can't live without it, so I accept the risk and do everything I can to minimize it.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:45 AM   #4

"Two kinds of (horse) riders"

Heal up quick so you can get back on that bucking bronco and tame the beast

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:03 AM   #5

That was my humble pie for the day;Thanks for sharing that,and glad you’re ok.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:08 AM   #6

Glad you are okay. I had my first wreck when I was 18. Like you I was only going about 30mph. It toke me a few weeks to heal up but climb right back on and still ride. Just think of it this way. You got that out the way so should be good for a long time.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #7

Thumbs Up

Hey Ski.... I am glad to hear that you didn't get hurt.... always wear the proper riding clothes..... I see so often these people riding with shorts on, no shirts and no shoes on... the pavement loves fresh meat...

I had my accident happened when I was 19.... and I was doing about 45 mph... when the truck T-boned me... if I could have I would have jumped back on right then.... If you fall off the horse, get back on it.... If you sell out right now, you will always wonder if you made the right choice...

Sooner or later we will all have this mis-hap of dumping our bikes... we just hope that we don't get hurt in the process ,,,, take care of that rib... access the damage and start ordering parts.. this will help the healing process ....
2004 Isuzu Rodeo
1998 Kia Sportage 4x4
2004 Toyota Tundra
2016 Ford Escape

Guitars

1970 Gibson SG mint Condition
2005 Epiphone white Custom SG Les Paul L/New
Fender Banjo New Condition
BC Rich Bitch - Like New\
3 Jay Turser SG Good Condition

Amps

Marshall vs100 Good Condition
Acoustic 261 very good condition
Boss GT-6 Pedal effects Like New

Old 04-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #8

In 2011 I had a wreck tboned a whitetail doe going 55Mph on a KTM 620RXC, I got airborne for 30feet and landed at said velocity on my head neck and tumbled three times (Had a buddy follow behind me). I had plenty of roadrash, compressed spine, concussionbut not a single broken bone. Just soft tissue trauma, it took 3 years before I got back. But here I am one ZRX1100, Concourse 14 and Chonda 250 later.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #9

I just had my first fall about a week ago. I also have no idea how it happened. Luckily I wasn’t going as fast but all I did was a uturn on a 4 lane road. I’ve done it plenty of times, but this time the bike slid out from under me. Helmet banged pretty hard on road, scraped my knee up pretty good. Bike was ok except for the front fender. I’m not real good with words but the way you wrote it describes exactly how I felt my pride was hurt, pissed, embarrassed, saddened, and thankful to be able to walk away. The couple days I was able to ride my bike before my engine blew was really strange to me. I could no longer ride like I was totally in control and had a real fear with every turn I made. Hopefullly some of that fear goes away as time goes on because it’s not as fun riding with that much fear. Like Dan says I can’t live without it, so I accept the risk and do everything I can to minimize it. Good to hear that your ok and had a change of heart on the bikes. Thanks for sharing, stay safe

Old 04-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #10

Haven't wrecked on the pavement (yet). Wrecked plenty in the dirt. The fear goes away with time. You will gain confidence again. As someone on here said "ride like everyone is trying to kill you". Stay alert to the machine. Just remember: You can live in fear or live.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #11

IMO road riding is more dangerous nowadays than in the past largely because of more cars and inattentive drivers. Still there are factors like spilled diesel fuel that is difficult to see. I once low sided on some invisible substance in a left turn lane in San Francisco. Down instantly at 5 mph, it was so slippery I couldn't stand up on it after the crash. Maybe Armorall or silicone.

My worst crash was into a moose on the Alcan Hwy but even a small dog or coyote can get you.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #12

I used to work for the streets department in the 80s. I learned that old concrete, asphalt can become worn as vehicles tires and grit "polish" the surface. This happens mostly in curves, corners and at stop signs or lights. A little dust on the "polished" area and it is easy to loose traction and low side. Especially with harder touring tires, although I do not know what kind of tire you have or how old they are.

I am glad you are alive. I hope you heal up quickly. Best wishes.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:20 PM   #13

Glad to hear that you are ok. Crashing Sucks! If you ride long enough, the numbers work against you.

In a previous life, I was a paratrooper in the 82nd. They had a statistician make a formula. If you jump X number of paratroopers, you will have X number of injuries and X number of fatalities. Numbers never lie! The thing they don’t tell you is all the minor injuries you get along the way.

I had my first motorcycle crash when I was 20. Someone pulled out in front of me, I swerved, high sided and went flying. All I got was a small cut in my glove. They were a young family in a mini van. They helped me pick up my Ninja 250 and park it on the side of the road. After they left, it took me a while before I got on my Ninja and rode home.

Now, I’m 50 and work in an OR. Ortho cases are not gentle! They use hammers, saws, drills and screws. I’ve seen people who ran in the rain and fell and broke their elbow. Don’t run in the rain! You dry faster than you heal! I’m amazed by how many people get hurt walking their dog. We had a lady that her dog pulled her and she fell. Her chin and the curb made contact! Yet me and several other nurses still ride our bikes to work!

Point is, Nobody makes it out alive! Measure the risks and work around it!

Enjoy the Ride!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 04-21-2019, 12:00 AM   #14

Did I miss something?

Old 04-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #15

Glad you're ok. Countersteer helps get through those pesky curves without the front end washing out.