Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo_grande View Post

I'm 5'10" 32" inseam.
Between your handle and avatar, I would have never guessed this........
All this time I pictured 6'5" and 300.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #17

Used to be much "grande'er" than I am now. What hair I have is no longer rojo. Bald Grey Beard just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #18

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I’m still a little confused. I think it might be just general word choice that has a little off about this. I get that the TT250 or other dual sports will outshine the RX3 “off road” and the RX3 would be the better choice “on road.” My issue is – I didn’t think gravel or dirt roads would be considered the same as “off road.” And it certainly seems different to me than “on road” too. It looks like most of the gravel and dirt roads I will be riding on are in pretty good shape. This isn’t a bunch of rocky jeep trails like eveRide seems to enjoy tackling – I get that the TT250 would be much better for that stuff. But if most of my riding is going to be on well maintained dirt/gravel roads, does that still fall under the category that the TT250 is the better bike “off road?”

Thanks for your patience with me here. I’m really a novice when it comes to leaving the pavement. (but not for long)

Old 07-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #19

Either a TT or RX3 would serve you well, but neither is perfect for what you describe. My experience with gravel is being able to flat foot at slow speeds is a knee saver. I also agree about the traction issue, on gravel or slick slime there is none. The best cure for gravel is more rubber on the road, which calls for a less aggressive tire, but for mud the best bet is course knobbies. Significantly bigger tires helps both counts. If you want to cruise unpaved roads traction is the way to go.

So, a Yamaha TW200 or 225. The 125 is quite short on power. DOT knobbies as big or bigger on the front than those on the back of most 650 dual sports. Rear tire will fit a compact car. Same power as the TT, give or take. Super easy to maintain. Less capable off road than the TT, less capable on the highway than the RX#, the TW is right between them at it's best. Sounds like exactly what you need. You'll want to raise the seat (padding), taller bars in aluminum to reduce vibration, gel grips, and an o-ring chain. the stock chain is junk and will wear out in a few thousand miles. RX3 chain is the same way.

Due to the monster rear tire the chain and sprockets must be offset so the countershaft sports an oiled bearing outside the sprocket--accessing the countershaft sprocket is an unusual amount of work. Therefore, a good ringed chain is a huge improvement in reduced maintenance time and expense.

I have good success with the Bridgestone knobby on the back that comes to most of the world stock. Big, closely spaced knobbs down the middle provide lots of miles and good load capacity. The next third of the tread on each side would look like a good mud tire if the center tread was not there. The outside sixth of the tread is closely spaced knobbs that provide a ton of dig when cornering on dirt like a knobby, but lots of rubber for hard pack, and the course tread towards the middle allows those cornering knobbies to get through the gravel. It's a great tire for most any use.

The stock front tire sucks. If you expect lots of mud the Kenda TrackMaster II in 120/100-18 is awesome on the front, but tends to need a firm grip at high speeds on pavement to prevent wandering. The Kenda K270 is another choice if you don't see much slime, and is excellent on gravel. My next TW front tire for the riding you propose will be the Big Block style, might fit perfect between the other two. Suzuki has a 200 similar to the TW but I don't know anything about it.

If you live in the USofA there are always TW200s coming off motorhomes for sale, next to no miles, and relatively cheap.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDukeSix View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I’m still a little confused. I think it might be just general word choice that has a little off about this. I get that the TT250 or other dual sports will outshine the RX3 “off road” and the RX3 would be the better choice “on road.” My issue is – I didn’t think gravel or dirt roads would be considered the same as “off road.” And it certainly seems different to me than “on road” too. It looks like most of the gravel and dirt roads I will be riding on are in pretty good shape. This isn’t a bunch of rocky jeep trails like eveRide seems to enjoy tackling – I get that the TT250 would be much better for that stuff. But if most of my riding is going to be on well maintained dirt/gravel roads, does that still fall under the category that the TT250 is the better bike “off road?”

Thanks for your patience with me here. I’m really a novice when it comes to leaving the pavement. (but not for long)
It sounds like we ride much of the same landscape. We do a lot of paved twisties and gravel roads, some maintained better than others. We have both bikes. I take the RX3 99% of the time.
If on the rare occasion we hit my buddy's property with a bunch of backwoods one track trails, we take the TT and Q.
I vote RX3. It's fine on gravel roads, even with the stock tires.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #21

All bikes suck on gravel roads, some are just worse then others. Neither the TT250 or RX3 is particularly great or particularly bad on gravel, they both land in the middle somewhere. I've never rode a TW200 so I can't say it's 'good' on gravel or not but the small size with big tires seems like the ideal combination. A used TW200 will probably cost around the same as a new TT250 though.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #22

Here in vt my RX3 sees mostly dirt roads and it shines i don't own the tt250 but have rode a few 2strokes i am a yeti and the RX3 is pretty comfortable yes the stock seat sucks and the back shock can loosen your fillings when you hit a pothole that said i can go all day and not stop on the RX3. When the roads freeze at night and thaw during the day they get that slick mud on them and it's then that a lighter bike might be better. I am at work trying to answer between customers getting very busy

Old 07-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDukeSix View Post
I'm sure the RX3 will work for this, but is it the best tool for the job? Would I be happy with the RX3 (with the 19" front wheel upgrade) for gravel road exploring for a few hours at a time? Would I be happier on a CRF250L? Would it be able to comfortably cruise 20MPH faster on the same road?

Thank you in advance for your input here.

-Duke
To answer the first question directly, no, it's not the best tool for the job that you are proposing. The TT250 , with it's lighter weight, knobby tires and 21" front wheel, handles gravel better. I have both and much prefer the TT250 to the RX3 when it comes to riding gravel roads.

Regarding question number two, yes, you'll be happy. At twice the cost, though.

For question number three, concerning the CRF250L, no and yes. No, if you are not going to do any gnarly stuff, yes, if you are. You say that you aren't, so I put no first.

For question four, no, unless you are an experienced dirt/gravel rider. Which you say that you aren't. I go much faster on gravel with my TT250 than I do on the RX3. Mainly due to the extra weight and the tires.

HTH

Old 07-03-2018, 08:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
To answer the first question directly, no, it's not the best tool for the job that you are proposing. The TT250 , with it's lighter weight, knobby tires and 21" front wheel, handles gravel better. I have both and much prefer the TT250 to the RX3 when it comes to riding gravel roads.

Regarding question number two, yes, you'll be happy. At twice the cost, though.

For question number three, concerning the CRF250L, no and yes. No, if you are not going to do any gnarly stuff, yes, if you are. You say that you aren't, so I put no first.

For question four, no, unless you are an experienced dirt/gravel rider. Which you say that you aren't. I go much faster on gravel with my TT250 than I do on the RX3. Mainly due to the extra weight and the tires.

HTH
Thanks. This is very helpful.

Also, thanks to everyone else too who has commented so far.