Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #1

Happy Trails Joe Berk

I just saw over on the CSC blog that Joe Berk is retiring.

I am totally unqualified to kick off a thread on Joe, but someone needs to do it, so I'll just say that to me, Joe has been the Godfather of the RX3 in the United States.

He has sung the bike's praises, fought the good fight against anti-Chinese bike trolls, taken us all along vicariously on multiple adventure rides in the United States, Mexico, Columbia and China, written four fun and informative books on the RX3, and appeared in many videos on the RX3 and other CSC bikes from Zongshen. I have only scratched the surface, but I feel Joe has been with all of us on our respective RX3 journeys. And he has great taste in firearms.

I will sincerely miss Joe's blogs and his many other contributions to the RX3 community. He writes about starting a new moto website and I certainly hope that comes to pass.

Joe, I wish you the very best in your new adventures.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:20 PM   #2

Berk was the right man for the job at CSC. He's cut from the same cloth as Gresh . . . a real rider who happens to write - damn well at that. This isn't so much an end as a lane change. You've checked your mirror and peeked over your shoulder Joe. Now roll the throttle and move!

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-14-2018, 10:25 PM   #3

I wonder if one of us can take over? I would LOVE such an opportunity, and have even recently moved to the L.A. area, but find myself way underqualified for such a position, meaning someone who is well versed in motorcycle mechanics AND not adverse to Chinese motorcycles...Megadan??

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I wonder if one of us can take over? I would LOVE such an opportunity, and have even recently moved to the L.A. area, but find myself way underqualified for such a position, meaning someone who is well versed in motorcycle mechanics AND not adverse to Chinese motorcycles...Megadan??
GO FOR IT! Joe wasn't really a mechanic type, more a front man, promoter and rider. With your overall knowledge of the CB world, it would be a fit, though probably not pay as well as your current employment.

Just think, Joe traveled all over the world while he worked. How can he top that in retirement?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #5

Say is ain't so Joe!

I had the pleasure of meeting Joe on the 2016 Baja ride. I found him to be a straight shooter, very engaging with lots of great stories of his experiences both on and off bikes over the years. He is a stand up guy as is Steve at CSC.

I agree that Joe was the right person at the right time for CSC and their partnership with Zongshen. Joe's engineering background and in particular his expertise in manufacturing processes and procedures lent tremendous credibility to the quality concerns that many may have had initially regarding the CB's that CSC offers. He championed and fiercely defended the product from the nay-sayers and haters. Not to put words in his mouth but I don't think Joe would have done this if he were just a mouthpiece/pitchman for CSC and didn't truly believe in the product.

It is also unusual for an engineering type to have such a passion for writing that allowed him to convey his enthusiasm for traveling, riding, and CSC products/services as well as firearms, shooting, etc.

Anyway, I wish Joe all the best in his retirement. I suspect he will be keeping an eye on here and other boards.

Rojo

Old 06-15-2018, 04:11 PM   #6

Joe enjoy your well earned retirement!

Is there a way to get notifications about CSC's Blog? I check it out every once in a while but wouldn't mind getting notifications.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #7

go here
http://californiascooterco.com/blog/
and book mark then you'll always have it available, rj

Old 06-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #8

Well, there goes the world.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #9

Joe will be home on the range, were the deer and the antelope aren't safe. Good Luck

Old 06-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy dog View Post
Joe will be home on the range, were the deer and the antelope aren't safe. Good Luck
Yes, Joe will continue to serve the world in a most important way: reducing the numbers of deer and antelope playing road kill games with RX3 riders.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #11

Those are big, big shoes to fill.

He's really been a brand ambassador like no other for Chinese bikes in the US. I don't think there's anyone as good.

It's an interesting time; I think we're seeing the swansong of the RX3 on these shores over the next two years; It is surely just a matter of time before the slightly bigger platforms start making their way here.