Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Did I read the fuzzy label in the quad pic's correctly? I think it said no rider above 40 kilograms? That is only 90 pounds!

As far as the charging capacity, here are some charge current measurements for my 150cc quad with an higher output 8 pole stator (6 poles are more common). Note that the battery was fully charged before this test:

Engine Idling, no headlights: Battery is discharging at 0.3 amps
Engine Idling, with two headlights on: Battery is discharging at 3.0 amps
Engine at about 3500 RPM, no lights: Battery is charging at 3.5 amps
Engine at about 3500 RPM, with two headlights on: Battery is charging at 0.2 amps.

This backs up what Kataoranger said. Note that the maximum available current with headlights off is just about 3 amps at high RPM. The stator on the 125cc is likely to be less, and maybe far less.

I measured the above currents by popping out the main fuse and inserting a 10 amp current meter in its place. BTW, all quads with electric starters as received from the manufacturer have fuses, circuit breakers, or fuse links of some sort. Otherwise the quad would be a rolling fire hazard. Even my puny 7 amp hour battery can put out 150 amps into a short circuit - more than enough to cause instant fire in a wire harness.
Haha, 40 kilos loading weight on the racks, 120 Kilos on the seat
I'm running everything off a yellowtop optima marine battery, The bike is on the way and im already building a weatherproof audio system, lightbar as well as various electrical things, Gotta a sparky of a brother to help out, Basically keeping watch making sure I don't screw up
I've also acquired a welder, this should be handy