Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2023, 12:18 PM   #16

Yes. Removing the carb is not that much work, but getting it back in can be a wrestling match. Warming up the rubber with a blow dryer on low is a good idea.

If you take it off, you might want to have jets to swap out, and shim the needle a mm or so.
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...3&postcount=25

Needle shim is described in post #5
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...79&postcount=5

Old 11-23-2023, 01:58 PM   #17

Well, the elevation for where I picked up the bike from is 1300 feet, and the elevation for where I have the bike now is 4000 feet. Honestly I'm not sure how many issues elevation will cause. Is that enough of a change to rejet the carb? Is that why it has problems keeping the idle? Also, happy thanksgiving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
If the carb was properly drained of fuel before storage you won’t have a need to open and clean the carburetor unless you want to carefully drill a hole in the aluminum plug hiding the air/fuel adjustment screw and want to dial in the adjustment for your elevation and jet size already installed in the carburetor. Carefully means don’t push the drill all the way in and drill out the actual set screw hidden underneath — again refer to Thumpers post for pictures and description. Or another reason is you want a winter project to remove all the blind break off security bolts so you can gain full access to the carb to change the jets in future to any sizes you want to use. Also another reminder for hair dryer only. No heat guns. Warmed rubber is pliable rubber that easily stretches over a reinstalled carburetor compared to cold rubber that is stiff. But burnt or melted rubber is no good rubber. No need for excessive heat, save the heat gun for stripping paint or other applications.

Old 11-23-2023, 02:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaXi View Post
Well, the elevation for where I picked up the bike from is 1300 feet, and the elevation for where I have the bike now is 4000 feet. Honestly I'm not sure how many issues elevation will cause. Is that enough of a change to rejet the carb? Is that why it has problems keeping the idle? Also, happy thanksgiving!
Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your folks too.

Your 4000+ altitude will reduce the effect of the typical lean jetting these bikes get from the factory. You still may need a needle shim, and there is variability in the whole package, so you may really need to go to a 42 pilot and a 120 main jet. Maybe the best thing to do is just give it a try as is!

Old 11-24-2023, 10:29 PM   #19

Just wanted to share an update! I got it started and idling! Had some help, and didn't do anything major, just adjusting the fuel screw. Sounds like it runs perfect, the pops went away after the engine warmed up. I even took it for a short ride! Still lots to learn but I managed to get out of neutral and into first without stalling it haha. Thanks everyone!!

Tags
carb issues, problems, templarx