Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2015, 04:07 AM   #3496

I just posted an update to my RX3 LED Headlight Review thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14685

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #3497

An oil change aside

I used the top, slotted opening in the engine to add oil when I did my oil change the other day. At the BMW dealer, Mike noticed that there was some seeping from the cap. He suggested I take an emery cloth and clean up where the O ring goes.

I got home and removed the cap and the O ring, and noticed the inside of the cap and some of the threads had black paint on them. I used the wire wheel and removed the paint on the threads and the inside of the cap. I then cleaned that up with a little fine sandpaper, reinstalled the O ring and went for a ride.

No seeping noted.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #3498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
And neat. Too neat. Your work area is so clean, it bugs me.

20 years of the USAF will do that to a guy!

Old 05-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #3499

Nice mods, Tony. Well done! Not yet having my Cyclone to drool on your pics let me start planning my own mods.

Since US DOT forced me to take 2 weeks off work dealing with an unannounced rule change sprung on us at the last second I'm a little short of pocket change until tomorrow, when my first full check since comes in. Not really wanting to cash in investment accounts for nonessentials, so I've resisted temptation and been Responsible. Boy, that sucks.

I thought this bike was supposed to be inexpensive. Obviously, I was wrong about that. Here's my plan so far. I reserve the right to practice a good androgynous attitude and change my mind.

I've a few of the larger tool tubes left from another project. No idea, yet, where they will go, but I'd like to mount them lower and further forward for tool rolls, air compressor, tubes, and other heavy things. Any ideas?

I wanted to order coolant, matching grips, oil filters, spare clutch cable, and a seat cover with the bike to save the shipping since I'm such a cheapskate. Unlike brick and mortar dealers, CSC's prices aren't THAT out of line with the discount places on the internet. Chrome won't run on any of my old P. O. S. computers so I can't use Taobao. I sure would like to have a reusable oil filter because that would certainly save quite a bit of money over time.

I've been hoping CSC would have an accessory sales page up before I needed too order more stuff, but I've seen no evidence of that. I have a hard time scheduling business calls during their hours around work demands. Just my opinion, but NOT having easy 24-hour access to accessories and supplies has to be hurting their sales. I understand the CSC peeps have to be really busy working through this first load of Cyclones, and perhaps things will slow down a bit when they have a few in inventory in Azusa to meet demand as it grows, so I'm not harping on the company's priorities. Much.

I have several sets of grips bought off clearance tables if grip comfort is a big deal, but none in the right color. I want an elegant and protective hand guard solution before delving in to grips, heaters, guards, bars if necessary, auxiliary light switches, and routing a spare clutch cable, so maybe DOT did me a favor. I really wouldn't want to do grips after installing guards.

I've done several 500+ miles days on a TW200 with the stock seat, including a SS1000, along with another SS1000 and a BB1500 with just a Sterns seat cover from Walmart, so seat issues aren't expected to be a really big issue right off the bat. I'll probably just toss the stock pad and cover and build my own gel seat on the original pan before it's over, as I have a big enough pad of gel 2 inches thick and a piece of beige Sunbrella left over from a boat interior project to do that.

I don't see a need for power outlets on the dash of my bike. I'll be going to a sealed AGM if the stock battery isn't, for reduced maintenance requirements, and I'll install a 2-wire plug for a maintainer then. That set up has worked so well on the TWs I've done some traveling on I retrofitted my CB550. I prefer a route roller to a GPS so the only need I have for electric toys on the road is charging cell and sat phone batteries (extra phones under the side panel, swap the batteries every couple days), air compressor, and a LED flood light for making and breaking camp since I like to ride from dawn to dusk. The laptop and wireless router usually can be plugged in at the one meal a day I treat myself and that is usually enough to keep it running. All I really need is that one plug used to easily access the battery with a maintainer when I'm on the road. All that may change over time now that I have a more reasonable size bike with a higher output alternator than normally comes on small bikes. We'll see.

I will be using some alternator output for better forward lighting, haven't made up my mind on that yet. I LOVE the way the European style JW Speaker LED headlights on Tdub2 throw light without blinding incoming drivers, but I'd really like a functional upgrade to the stock headlight to preserve aerodynamic qualities. The CE approved European light patterns are not legal as headlights on cars and trucks, but ARE legal on motorcycles, just in case you're wondering. They are very similar to the pattern of the stock TW headlight with a premium H4 bulb (PIAA or Silver Star Ultra with power through a relay and fat wires), and they put out even more light!

Plus I have to buy new gear. I'm finally getting back to a comfortable weight after dropping over 100 pounds due to terminal cancer that wasn't. Joe Rocket now has Phoenix Ion mesh pants in short-and-fat sizes so I need to visit a retailer a and try some on. I like the idea of reflective knee pads, the better to be seen at night. I have high vis rain pants left over from my wrecker driving days that work well over mesh pants all year around. Joe Rocket's Alter Ego 3 Jacket also comes in color to match my Cyclone, and it's waterproof layer keeps the mesh layer clean and dry. I've been doing water and wind proofing layers over mesh with insulating layers under mesh for years, and I'm thrilled to actually see the change away from popular fashion and towards far superior function. Joe Rocket also has some mesh gloves and street boots that might fit that have trim in matching colors. Neither is likely to fit. I'm needing a new full face helmet, too. Actually, I have a couple brand new helmets on the shelf, but they are the wrong color for the Cyclone. Maybe I'll just paint one to match, though we really aren't supposed to do that.

I expect to have about $12,786 in this bike before I get done. Oh, well, the only hearse I ever saw with a trailer hitch was mine, one of the best dirt bike haulers ever.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:40 AM   #3500

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldqwerty View Post
I've a few of the larger tool tubes left from another project. No idea, yet, where they will go, but I'd like to mount them lower and further forward for tool rolls, air compressor, tubes, and other heavy things. Any ideas?
You could try either Quick Fist clamps or stainless irrigation clamps on the inverted forks.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #3501

Tubes and Slime or QuadBoss

Hi everybody:

I'm preparing my first medium trip (500 Km) and don't like to repair the tube on the road. Anyone have any issue with the tube quality (from China) and the sealant like Slime or QuadBoss. Because here in Chile, a guy form a Bikeshop told me there is some problem whit the quality of the tube, related with the size of the punch and the tube tear, loosing the sealant ....

Thank for your help...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040008.jpg (97.4 KB, 254 views)

Old 05-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #3502

I have changed both tires of my RX3, and the CST inner tubes are of good quality. However, even a good inner tube can occasionally be damaged during installation at the factory. Therefore, I suggest you check the tire pressure regularly. If you aren't losing any tire pressure, I'm confident your inner tubes are in good condition.

I don't have any experience using either Slime or QuadBoss, so I will defer to the opinions of others on that topic.

P.S. Thanks for posting the great photograph from beautiful Chile.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #3503

The Zongshen RX3 Forum recently scrolled over to a second page of posts. Therefore, if you are looking for a thread on a particular topic, don't forget to check the second page.

http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-14-2015, 11:50 PM   #3504

CSC has posted the new website. It contains a page where all factory parts for the RX3 are sold. The page contains parts diagrams, and prices.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/category-s/102.htm

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #3505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaume View Post
Hi everybody:

I'm preparing my first medium trip (500 Km) and don't like to repair the tube on the road. Anyone have any issue with the tube quality (from China) and the sealant like Slime or QuadBoss. Because here in Chile, a guy form a Bikeshop told me there is some problem whit the quality of the tube, related with the size of the punch and the tube tear, loosing the sealant ....

Thank for your help...
I prefer to spend a little extra and put RideOn in my tires. It will outperform any other sealant by fare. It is also water based and can be easily cleaned up if a patch is needed. All around, a far better product than Slime and other cheaper options, and when one rides truly remote places, the extra dollars are cheap insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
CSC has posted the new website. It contains a page where all factory parts for the RX3 are sold. The page contains parts diagrams, and prices.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/category-s/102.htm
The new websites are A W E S O M E ! ! ! Clean, simple, and so easy to use no 12-year old necessary. Easy shopping for accessories and other things CSC sells, too.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #3506

It's good to know that the LED light is legal for motorcycles.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #3507

Well Poop. It looks like I might be testing the dime/washer spring trick myself because it seems CSC ran out of center stands and did not put one on my bike.

Also get to figure out the whole dash accessory install too since those also ran out and my bike shipped without it installed. *sigh*

Old 05-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #3508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaume View Post
Hi everybody:

Thank for your help...
Jaume, don't forget to run the inner tube valve securing nut up away from rim tight onto the plastic cap. This way if your tire slips on the rim ,it won't rip out the valve stem and you can see if the tire slips on rim , as the valve stem will be bent over. rj

Old 05-15-2015, 06:14 PM   #3509

[QUOTE=woodlandsprite;184875]Well Poop. It looks like I might be testing the dime/washer spring trick myself because it seems CSC ran out of center stands and did not put one on my bike.
QUOTE]

My was not installed on the bike either but it was included in the boxes of guards and rack mounts. rj

Old 05-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #3510

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Well Poop. It looks like I might be testing the dime/washer spring trick myself because it seems CSC ran out of center stands and did not put one on my bike.

Also get to figure out the whole dash accessory install too since those also ran out and my bike shipped without it installed. *sigh*
I don't think any of that is installed on a shipped bike.