Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #1

PNW traffic fighter

Hello fellow enthusists.

Ordered my hawk 250 dlx last friday I was told early June. Really hope none of the decals come on it. Planning on rattle canning the whole thing flat black. This will be my first bike pretty excited about it. I commute down a river road about 20 minutes and some times it can get pretty backed up, there is a farm road and rail road service roads that look mighty appealing. If i end up moving some where more urban definitely going to look into a super moto conversion I think that would look so sexy.
I've learned a lot on here and from motocheeze looking forward to building and learning about the bike. I do have some wrist arthritis issues so I really hope the lack of a counterbalance doesn't get to me. Time will tell. I would imagine this thing would hold its value pretty well since you have to build it and register it. Thanks everyone whos posted on this forum. looking forward to doing a build thread. Money isn't really an issue for me, not an unlimited budget but i can have some fun so I'm hoping to get it dino tuned along with all the other mods on hear, probably some suspension tunning and of course wheels. The biggest reason I got the bike is my wife went through a phase where she just crashed into other cars, she wasn't drunk and she swears she wasn't texting, so my insurance is 750 freaking dollars a month. 220 of that goes to ensuring my 95 honda so later honda and hello hawk at 15 dollars a month for insurance. My honda got 50 mpg. I've heard 80mpg from this bike but does any one have some real numbers?

Old 05-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #2

Welcome to here! I watch car-crash compilation videos, and in some of those major crashes, I always wonder, "How is that one driver going to take on the insurance for all those cars?!" I guess, $750/month!! The DLX is a new bike around here with a handful of riders reporting buying one, so the 'data' is still trickling in. The consensus at this point is that the bike is a street bike until the EFI has proven itself and there is minimal risk of getting stranded strictly due to the EFI, out in the middle of nowhere.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-13-2020, 04:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINTY DLX View Post
Hello fellow enthusists.

Ordered my hawk 250 dlx last friday I was told early June. Really hope none of the decals come on it. Planning on rattle canning the whole thing flat black. This will be my first bike pretty excited about it. I commute down a river road about 20 minutes and some times it can get pretty backed up, there is a farm road and rail road service roads that look mighty appealing. If i end up moving some where more urban definitely going to look into a super moto conversion I think that would look so sexy.
I've learned a lot on here and from motocheeze looking forward to building and learning about the bike. I do have some wrist arthritis issues so I really hope the lack of a counterbalance doesn't get to me. Time will tell. I would imagine this thing would hold its value pretty well since you have to build it and register it. Thanks everyone whos posted on this forum. looking forward to doing a build thread. Money isn't really an issue for me, not an unlimited budget but i can have some fun so I'm hoping to get it dino tuned along with all the other mods on hear, probably some suspension tunning and of course wheels. The biggest reason I got the bike is my wife went through a phase where she just crashed into other cars, she wasn't drunk and she swears she wasn't texting, so my insurance is 750 freaking dollars a month. 220 of that goes to ensuring my 95 honda so later honda and hello hawk at 15 dollars a month for insurance. My honda got 50 mpg. I've heard 80mpg from this bike but does any one have some real numbers?
If you need some plastics without stickers on them I do have a set of black ones, and most of a red set, that was left with me by nzbrakelathes. You could keep your original plastics in and spray these instead. Just a thought.

As far as the fuel economy goes, that depends on a few factors, like gearing, riding style etc. That said, Most of the carb bikes can average between 55-65mpg. My previous Hawk, road gearing and OCD levels of carb tuning, could muster 74mpg at a steady 55mph cruise, and average about 65mpg with mixed riding. Contrast that to my current Hawk, more aggressive gearing, bigger carb, head porting, etc. which averages about 56-58mpg. With EFI it's guaranteed to be at least better than a typical Hawk, so I don't think 80mpg is unreasonable.

For the lack of a counter balancer. It will be a bit buzzy. There are some upgrades that will help minimize some of it. Dual density grips can help. A set of aluminum fat bars like I have, or standard bars filled with rubber or even lead shot will do a good job of eliminating a lot of the vibrations there. Crash Guards can also eliminate a lot of bar vibes, and have the benefit of protecting the levers.

Honestly, most of the vibrations you will feel through a Hawk will come from the knobby tires. When I switched from the knobby tires to Shinko 705's the difference was night and day.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-13-2020, 07:58 AM   #4

Welcome aboard!
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-31-2020, 12:07 PM   #5

couldn't wait any more

I canceled my Hawk dlx order. By the time it gets here summer could be over. And after doing lots of reading and youtubing I placed an order with brozz250.com for, wait for it, a brozz250 in black.

Seems like a common hawk upgrade is to use brozz parts so made sense to me to start with a brozz. Should be here friday.

So far I've spent about 1/5th of the price of the bike on gear but can you really put a price on safety? And it was hard to say no to kevlar blue jeans with crash pads built in. By far the most I've ever spent on pants. As soon as the sales girl said kevlar I was just thinking of demolition ranch, asking what caliber can it stop.
Any way plans for the bike rejet it which I ordered a kit from the guy mentioned by motocheeze and a spark plug, maybe an oil cooler. But if the exhaust is as quite on the 2020 as motocheezes I'll probably leave it alone so I be a bit more coveret when seeking "alternate" routes and the stock exhuast would be a limiting factor for increase power. So I'll just ride it and enjoy it. I did get a gopro nock off for 40 bucks that I plan on mounting to my rear fender so I can have a review camera that will show on my cell screen.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:08 PM   #6

The DLX is intriguing in that you combine the 'Destroy all the Hawks you want, we'll make more!' low-cost beat-it-up Chinese bike and add in FI. But, with all the bikes selling out like crazy (maybe the manufacturers are behind COVID and since we don't know a whole lot about it, one of the effects might be the desire to purchase a Chinese-made motorcycle ), including the RPS Hawks as you found out the hard way, the alternative choice of the Brozz is something that you can't go wrong! I have seen and read from a few people on youtube and here on Chinariders that the exhaust is quiet which you feel is a plus (I would, too). Gear is good!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard