Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2015, 01:20 AM   #1

Dash too bright?

I'd like to dim the light from the dash on the RX3. It's a little too bright and a little distracting at night. I gather the illumination is from a/some bulbs, but I don't see any wattage values in the service manual or how to get to them.

This is probably easy if I just tear into the dash unit, but I'm lazy or scared...you decide.

Any ideas?

Old 10-14-2015, 07:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckayprod View Post
I'd like to dim the light from the dash on the RX3. It's a little too bright and a little distracting at night. I gather the illumination is from a/some bulbs, but I don't see any wattage values in the service manual or how to get to them.

This is probably easy if I just tear into the dash unit, but I'm lazy or scared...you decide.

Any ideas?
I'd try trimming a ND filter sheet to match the size of the dash. They make them in various tints like .3, .6, 1 stop etc of light reduction.

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Filters-Ne...0_SR160%2C160_

Old 10-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #3

Is that filter material easily removed?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-14-2015, 02:19 PM   #4

its just plastic sheeting, depends on what you use to adhere it. I would use some kind of silicone sealant that would peel off when you want to remove it.

Something like this, just a bead around the edges to seal it on, when your done just peel it all off.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Seal-...8351/100140056

Old 10-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
I'd try trimming a ND filter sheet to match the size of the dash. They make them in various tints like .3, .6, 1 stop etc of light reduction.

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Filters-Ne...0_SR160%2C160_
Great idea ,Lee

The dash LEDs are small and soldered, they would be tricky to replace for anything dimmer.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:51 AM   #6

I had some of this stuff sitting around and I thought it might be a good alternative.

I gave it a try and it seems to cut down on the light output. I haven't tried it while riding yet. You can see the difference around the edges as I didn't spend that much time cutting a perfect fit. At least with this you can remove and reattach as needed.

And yes, I only have 679 miles on mine so far. It's downright sad.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #7

This has been on my mind also, thought the dash is just a bit too bright for my taste, was thinking of the window tint, had to do this to my K75 back in the US.

It's on my list of "To Do's"...
www.medicalmissionmatters.org

Old 10-16-2015, 10:25 PM   #8

After consulting with my brother the E.E., I don't want to get into the electronic solution to this. I like the window film idea!

Old 10-16-2015, 11:10 PM   #9

Rather than seal the film to the outside of the speedometer, perhaps you should remove the cover, and place the film on top of the display inside the speedometer. This will keep the film in place without the need for any adhesives.

http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....postcount=4302

The indicator lights on the right of the dashboard are covered with a film which contains silhouettes for the turn signal arrows, et cetera. If you remove that piece of film, the indicator lights will be much brighter. You will lose the symbols, but we know the colors for each symbol, so the symbols aren't really necessary.

Top Green: Turn Signals
Blue: High Beam Indicator
Yellow: Low Fuel Warning
Bottom Green: Neutral
Red: Engine Warning Light, DTC Indicator

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-17-2015, 01:51 AM   #10

I am assuming the indicator lights are colored LEDs. If the LEDs are white, then removing the film obviously will be a bad idea.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894