Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2024, 04:59 PM   #1

New Mike Festiva YT video just dropped

1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125

Old 04-26-2024, 05:47 PM   #2

Some notes as I watch it: I can vouch for the spark arrestor....my kickstand doesn't have the same issue, weird. While the Nibbi is a popular upgrade, I just don't see the need if you just open up the smooth bore carb the bike came with. "Tamper-proof"? Lols, hardly. I have no issue with the stock choke. Anything about 40 degrees F bike starts up easily without it or with just a second or two of choke. The battery is nice but my bike starts right up no prob....when I need a new one I'll upgrade. I'm not a fan of his fend mod, lols. I used my dremel to just cut off everything below my plate like he ended up doing.
Triumph Legend TT 900

Old 04-26-2024, 06:46 PM   #3

Keep in mind there are 3 models of the Templar... standard, M, and X. Mike Festiva has the "standard".

I am curious about the differences between the standard Templar and the M (different kickstand, for instance? or maybe there is just variability in the manufacturing of Templars over time). Moot point since neither are available now. I think that the frame geometry between the M and X are identical, but that the standard Templar is different. Maybe this info is already posted in drips and drabs here, or on Mike Festiva's videos.

One major difference. I can't remove the tailpipe on my 2022 X. It is just welded in! But I see now that the way to install the Fisch spark arrestor is to remove that tail pipe if you can, not get the smaller spark arrestor and cram it in with a mallet! But I would have to replace my muffler to do that, and you have to buy the whole stinkin' thing from XPro/PSM, and who knows if it would come with a welded talipipe

Old 04-27-2024, 01:16 PM   #4

Installing the spark arrestor without the tailpipe looks a bit cleaner and may lower the amount of restriction but I think I'm going to leave mine as is to help limit the amount of water that could get into the muffler.
Actually pulled my tailpipe out last night and was surprised at how corroded the screw already is. Also the heat cycles have hardened the rubber plug that goes in the screw hole to the point that it started cracking when I was removing it.
1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125

Old 04-27-2024, 09:59 PM   #5

You can get the full SS exhaust system from PSM/XPro for $199, free shipping. The photo implies that there is the access port in the slipon muffler for removing the tailpipe (the black plug is visible in the photo). I like the way the Fisch spark arrestor installs without the tailpipe (larger diameter).

OEM exhaust does have the cat, of course. That hot catalytic converter is mandated to keep Carbon Monoxide low where there are lots of vehicles (mainly cities). Rangers will tell you they cause fires at campgrounds and in the parks, and this includes dirt bikes and ATVs. I have had my own experience with a cat fire on the Templar. It was a heads up! That bulb DOES get red hot. I wonder if there is an awareness campaign in National forests regarding catalytic converters. Like a sign at the entrance of the campground or parking area at the trail heads.

Old 04-28-2024, 11:31 AM   #6

I very much enjoy Mikes videos. Just a guess but it would seem he may be driving sales numbers up significantly for XPro. His realistic take on these bikes is refreshing, not just click bait with how "amazing or terrible" the dreaded chinabike is.
GasGas TXT 125

Old 04-28-2024, 12:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikd View Post
I very much enjoy Mikes videos. Just a guess but it would seem he may be driving sales numbers up significantly for XPro. His realistic take on these bikes is refreshing, not just click bait with how "amazing or terrible" the dreaded chinabike is.
Yep!! It's his fault I got into my X
1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125

Old 04-28-2024, 02:17 PM   #8

I'm thinking about picking up the DLX150 he has videos on to keep here as a loaner bike for my friends. Seems a good way to suck them into the hobby haha.
GasGas TXT 125